How is Tundra Perceived in Your Part of the Country? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How is Tundra Perceived in Your Part of the Country?

How the Tundra is perceived in your part of the country?

I've always lived in the Midwest (currently IL) and I would say for the most part people dislike them and err towards the big 3 and hate on Tundras bc it isn't considered "American." Now I know all of us on here know the build percentages and whatnot but i'd say most around here don't want to hear it and don't care. Every once an a while i'll hear a, "I like it but I wouldn't drive it."

So i'm wondering, in other areas, especially CO, AZ, CA, WA and some of the bigger offroad areas, how do people look at them? Is it the same mentality or since there is a larger offroad following in those parts they are more tolerated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
AZ has much Tundra love.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ride2wheels For This Useful Post:
chuckyb (04-28-2017), Nikolai19 (05-14-2017)
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyb View Post
How the Tundra is perceived in your part of the country?

I've always lived in the Midwest (currently IL) and I would say for the most part people dislike them and err towards the big 3 and hate on Tundras bc it isn't considered "American." Now I know all of us on here know the build percentages and whatnot but i'd say most around here don't want to hear it and don't care. Every once an a while i'll hear a, "I like it but I wouldn't drive it."

So i'm wondering, in other areas, especially CO, AZ, CA, WA and some of the bigger offroad areas, how do people look at them? Is it the same mentality or since there is a larger offroad following in those parts they are more tolerated?
cali has tundras and tacos everywhere, seem very popular and well liked here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 platinum crewmax, 3" level front, rear toytec shackle 1.25", 20" method NV wheels w/ 295/60/20 toyo AT's, TRD rear sway bar, color matched door and mirrors, nfab, corsa sport exhaust, line-x spray liner, dash cam, pace edwards jack rabbit cover, xenon LED headlights & fogs, bedslide, yakima aero blades, led interior, rear & puddle lights, TRD skid plate

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah theres about 5 tundras in my neighborhood alone here in socal. Lots of em.

Zach @ Sonic Motor
Cell: 626-214-6695 (TEXT for price quotes
Shop: 626-363-9036
2008 Tundra (SLOW long travel build)
1973 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I live on the east side of Washington and they are everywhere. People seem to love Toyota trucks around here.

2010 DC TRD 4x4 Blue Streak Metallic
Bilstein 5100s on top setting
LRO diff drop
TRD Rock Warrior 17s
305/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Hypertech Interceptor and speedo calibrator.
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Hawaii has lots of Toyota trucks. Tacomas are first pick, but lots of Tundras are on the road too.
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Midwester here (MN). Most of what I see are Silverados and F-150's.

But I agree with OP most people with trucks lean toward the big 3. However, I get compliments on my truck about once a week from all kinds.
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbyu View Post
Hawaii has lots of Toyota trucks. Tacomas are first pick, but lots of Tundras are on the road too.
I'll tell you what, I don't think I've ever seen so many Toyotas in my life then when I was in HI! Tons of Tacos, you aren't kidding. I think the mix of of the remote roads and Polynesian population makes it the ultimate vehicle.

So it does seem more like a Midwestern/farmer thing that are still the haters, I think I hear it the most when i'm in MI. When people ask me how I like it, I say I love the truck but if you want one, don't buy it to make friends, buy it because you like the truck. I mean that makes sense for everything I suppose but specifically for this topic.
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
And along with what AJFiasco said, this does seem specific to trucks. We have Honda SUVs and Nissan vans in the family and it doesn't seem to be as scrutinized, people seem to be much more touchy on the trucks.
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Even here in Texas I get a lot of people who down on the Tundra because, "It isn't American." Really seems to be a love them/hate them kind of thing.
post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I could see that in TX. I did hear there were quite a few there though, which I can on assume is bc of the manuf.
post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbbf View Post
Even here in Texas I get a lot of people who down on the Tundra because, "It isn't American." Really seems to be a love them/hate them kind of thing.
I thought with the plant there you would see them all over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I live in Southeast Ohio in a rural area. I mostly see the big 3 but there are a handful of tundras as well. Anyone I talk to likes my truck and never really experienced anyone being negative about it.

Platinum Member #51
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
North, well past St Cloud, a few Tundras. Mostlythe big three. I think if Toyota made a HD we would see a few more. Lots of farmers and stuff.
post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
If this question had been asked of me several years ago I would have said that except for a few, the Toyota truck was hated and not thought highly of here. I bought my first new vehicle which was a Toyota pickup in '90 and working at the plant I heard nothing but how it wouldn't last 30,000 miles and it would be junk. You bought a Jap truck? That went on and on for awhile until I hit that 30K miles, and then 50K, 100K, 150K, etc. and with no troubles. It didn't take long for Toyota vehicles to start showing up in the parking lot and people shut their mouths when the mileage kept climbing until that little truck had over 485,000K miles on it. I also had a 4Runner and it had a little over 325,000 on it when I traded it on an FJ Cruiser and eventually got over 203K on it before I traded it on my Tundra.

In this area there are a lot of the Big 3 diesel trucks for the oil/gas fields and other industry along with private vehicles towing horse trailers, toy haulers etc. That's pretty much normal, and won't change much. There are a bunch of Tundras around here too along with Tacoma being driven as private vehicles and I see more all the time. The big change I've seen in the last few years are a lot more Tundras being used by smaller companies that do electrical work, carpentry, service stuff for other bigger companies, basically small contractors. They've been trading off their Big 3 trucks and going to the Tundra. I rarely have anyone say anything bad about me owning a Toyota anymore.

BIGGUY MGMC#353
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to BIGGUY For This Useful Post:
Taquito Bandito (05-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.