Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

How do you transport your dog/s in your Tundra?

25K views 64 replies 55 participants last post by  Powertechn2 
#1 ·
Hey TundraTalk!

As spring fast approaches my family is looking at going on some trips in the Tundra. One problem.... we have two American Pit Bull's, one is 95lbs and the other is 75. I have a 2016 double cab and am thinking of getting a truck camper just so I can haul them around along with all of our stuff for these trips / camping adventures.

So it hit me, a majority of you are like us. You have dogs, or some type of animal that you take a long with you on trips. Where do you put them in the truck? How do you secure them (if you do) and did you have to get a camper or did you use crates or something else? I am just trying to see what fellow TundraTalk users have done and never hurts to get the ideas flowing.

Thanks gang!

#3 ·
We just drove 32,000 kilometers with my wife, our 80 pound black lab and a 20 pound shitsupoo nice and cozy in the back. My father-in-law got the co-pilot's seat. Both dogs just curled up and went to sleep, and were no problem at all. I guess it all depends on the energy level of the animal.

We made sure to pull over every 2 hours while on the road so that we all could have a stretch and the dogs could do their thing. Never had an issue in 5 months of travelling.

#4 · (Edited)
I feel like I should have some kind of safety measures, but I don't. I have a double cab, and put the larger part of the bench seat up, leaving the small seat for the dog to get on to look outside. If she wants to wander around or sleep, there is plenty of room on the floor, where I have an old blanket (floors are all vinyl).

Side note: The dog isn't muzzled. It's a device that allows me to lead the dog using it's face, similar to a horse. Makes life easier on walks.

One last thing: The dog is 60 lbs, and is some kind of lab/pit/who knows mix.

Attachments

#5 ·
I bought a high quality seat cover to protect the seats and help control the hair from my two Golden Retrievers (one 60lbs and one 75lbs). They are able to ride very comfortably in the back of my double cab, plenty of room for them to move around or lay on the seats. My previous truck was a Tacoma and for that I had made a platform to use when the seats were folded to give a better flat surface. However, the Tundra seat itself is plenty big enough for them.

Happy travels!

#6 · (Edited)
We have 3 Boxers and a Boxer/Mastiff we take camping (the Bulldog doesn't like camping, lol) in my Dbl. Cab. I fold the back seats up, hang an old sheet on the back of the front seats and one on the flipped up bottom cushions. I have a one piece WeatherTech floor liner on the floor so clean up of the dog hair is pretty easy once we get home.

[/URL]

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
we've got two kids, two pitt/mix, one chihuahua, one bearded dragon, and a turtle. looking forward to the drive from San Antonio to San Diego....

edit: thinking about making some sort of pallet for the wife to lay down on in the bed.

#8 ·
I have an 80 lb Weim and for me it depends. If it is a short jaunt (a mile or so), my pup will ride in the bed - yes not the most secure. If I am going anywhere a decent distance then it is either: a crate in the bed that is tied down (esp when I have the kids); or flip up the rear seats and let him ride in the back of the cab. The weather tech mats really help keep the dog hair mess down.

One gripe is the fact the floor isn't flat, nothing new to anyone here. It is especially difficult for my 13 yr old fur kid.

#9 ·
I'm usually by myself in the truck so my dog gets the whole backseat to himself. I put a weathertech floor mat back there. I fold the seats up and I got a 'mud river' seat protector for dogs. It hangs off the head rests and covers all of the floor (crewmax). Easy to put in and take out and just vacuum it once in a while to get the hair off. Waterproof too.

#10 ·
Depends on where we are going. If I am just taking him to the local park where I know he will get into the creek and get muddy, I will put his crate in the bed and strap it all down. When we travel and go somewhere, I built a platform for the back seat. I have the ESP storage so there's no longer a flat platform for him when I put the seats up and I don't want him walking on my leather seats. So I took some plywood and 2X4's and built a platform that when the seats are flipped up, it makes it a level surface in the back. I covered it with some automotive carpet so it's nice and comfy for him.

#11 ·
My own dog rarely travels. For the dogs I transport, I use a harness attached to the seat belt (belt is buckled behind the dog, not around them). For smaller dogs I use a carrier secured by seat belt. Keeps the dogs from getting thrown around if I have to hit the brakes. There's an adapter sold on Amazon that hooks easily from the dog's harness to the seat belt, or they also have a harness attachment if the dog isn't wearing one.
Might be overkill for your average trip to the store or dog park. But I've been doing volunteer transport for so long...I've seen bad things happen. And these dogs aren't mine so I have to be extra careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
My own dog rarely travels. For the dogs I transport, I use a harness attached to the seat belt (belt is buckled behind the dog, not around them). For smaller dogs I use a carrier secured by seat belt. Keeps the dogs from getting thrown around if I have to hit the brakes. There's an adapter sold on Amazon that hooks easily from the dog's harness to the seat belt, or they also have a harness attachment if the dog isn't wearing one.
Might be overkill for your average trip to the store or dog park. But I've been doing volunteer transport for so long...I've seen bad things happen. And these dogs aren't mine so I have to be extra careful.
You're a smart man! And as a volunteer, I'm sure you know how frequently dogs run away at the scene of an accident when they're not buckled in.

#14 ·
We have two greyhounds (80lbs each) and the Tundra TRD PRO Crew Max. We take the rear seats down, put a bunch of pillows to make it flat and even, and that's it.
However I can tell you that they enjoy better our Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (with all rear seats down and pillows all over the place).

#15 ·
Double Cab here, plus camper shell. If its just us with the dogs I put them in the back seat (seat down) covered with a Carhartt dog pad. If there's more humans then the dogs ride in the bed, under the Snugtop, with a few Carhartt dog beds.

#16 ·
#18 ·
My 45lb Aussie/Border Collie mix sits in the back with her head out the sliding window cuz she pukes every time. My 200lb Dane only fits in the wife's Explorer and even that's a tight fit.

#19 ·
In my 2010 Limited CM, we use this for our 70lb yellow lab:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016FXFBBS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We also run paracord from grab handle to grab handle and clip her harness to that.

In the 2017 Platinum CM we flip the seats up, put a fitted sheet over the seats and line the rear floor with dog beds (on top of the Husky floor liner). We clip the harness to the seat belt and loop it over the middle headrest.

I must say, even the dog likes the new truck more than the old one....

Dave

#20 ·
I've got 2 mini Australian shepherds that hang out in a crate in the back of my truck. I have a canopy on it for them and just to keep stuff dry/secure in general. I didn't want their dog hair all over the inside of my cab so a canopy was an easy choice. And the crate keeps them contained if I have to hit the brakes or swerve so they don't fly 5 feet and break their necks.

Reactions: fixnflip
#21 ·
I took the large half of the back seat out for my 120 lb Dane.
The Beagle sits on the jump seat. When it comes time to
clean out the dog hair I remove any loose objects from the cab.
I open all doors and windows and go to town with my
Stihl BR650 backpack blower.

Dog Canidae Vizsla Carnivore Sporting Group

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire Rim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.