How do you transport your dog/s in your Tundra? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb How do you transport your dog/s in your Tundra?

Hey TundraTalk!

As spring fast approaches my family is looking at going on some trips in the Tundra. One problem.... we have two American Pit Bull's, one is 95lbs and the other is 75. I have a 2016 double cab and am thinking of getting a truck camper just so I can haul them around along with all of our stuff for these trips / camping adventures.

So it hit me, a majority of you are like us. You have dogs, or some type of animal that you take a long with you on trips. Where do you put them in the truck? How do you secure them (if you do) and did you have to get a camper or did you use crates or something else? I am just trying to see what fellow TundraTalk users have done and never hurts to get the ideas flowing.

Thanks gang!

"No"

Rosa Parks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 80lb Weimaraner. I have never had him in my Tundra, we use the wifes suburban to move him around. But, if I did, I would put him in the back with the seats up.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We just drove 32,000 kilometers with my wife, our 80 pound black lab and a 20 pound shitsupoo nice and cozy in the back. My father-in-law got the co-pilot's seat. Both dogs just curled up and went to sleep, and were no problem at all. I guess it all depends on the energy level of the animal.

We made sure to pull over every 2 hours while on the road so that we all could have a stretch and the dogs could do their thing. Never had an issue in 5 months of travelling.

2013 Tundra 5.7l LTD DC 4X4
Heartland Wilderness 2750RL
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed our Black Lab

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I feel like I should have some kind of safety measures, but I don't. I have a double cab, and put the larger part of the bench seat up, leaving the small seat for the dog to get on to look outside. If she wants to wander around or sleep, there is plenty of room on the floor, where I have an old blanket (floors are all vinyl).

Side note: The dog isn't muzzled. It's a device that allows me to lead the dog using it's face, similar to a horse. Makes life easier on walks.

Another side note: I have no idea why this site sometimes puts pictures upside down.

One last thing: The dog is 60 lbs, and is some kind of lab/pit/who knows mix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160525_191113[1].jpg (199.3 KB, 228 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 5.7L SR Loooooong bed!
DirtyDeeds 8" BAMuffler
CrimeStopper SP-502
Raptor 4" Nerf Bars
Husky X-Act Contour Floor Liners
20% Tint
BBS RD423 20" wheels. Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015xl 275/55R20
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I bought a high quality seat cover to protect the seats and help control the hair from my two Golden Retrievers (one 60lbs and one 75lbs). They are able to ride very comfortably in the back of my double cab, plenty of room for them to move around or lay on the seats. My previous truck was a Tacoma and for that I had made a platform to use when the seats were folded to give a better flat surface. However, the Tundra seat itself is plenty big enough for them.

Happy travels!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mach5 For This Useful Post:
master_tundra (02-27-2017)
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We have 3 Boxers and a Boxer/Mastiff we take camping (the Bulldog doesn't like camping, lol) in my Dbl. Cab. I fold the back seats up, hang an old sheet on the back of the front seats and one on the flipped up bottom cushions. I have a one piece WeatherTech floor liner on the floor so clean up of the dog hair is pretty easy once we get home.

[/URL]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (193.1 KB, 137 views)

2010 SR5 Dbl. Cab, Silver Sky Metallic, 2wd, 4.6L with tow package

Tundra Campers Club #1

Last edited by danorox; 03-03-2017 at 12:03 PM.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Garage
we've got two kids, two pitt/mix, one chihuahua, one bearded dragon, and a turtle. looking forward to the drive from San Antonio to San Diego....

edit: thinking about making some sort of pallet for the wife to lay down on in the bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TXTC# 207 2015 5.7 4x4 SR5 CM BRM
BA Mufflers Budget system
3/1 Supreme Suspension level
tinted windows / plasti dipped emblems
Bushwacker pocket style flares (plasti-dipped)
20x9 +01offset Fuel Beast wheels 35x12.50R20 nitto trail grapplers
N-Fab RSP front bumper, 38" Pro Tuning lab LED light bar

Last edited by Manoah; 02-27-2017 at 06:36 AM.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have an 80 lb Weim and for me it depends. If it is a short jaunt (a mile or so), my pup will ride in the bed - yes not the most secure. If I am going anywhere a decent distance then it is either: a crate in the bed that is tied down (esp when I have the kids); or flip up the rear seats and let him ride in the back of the cab. The weather tech mats really help keep the dog hair mess down.

One gripe is the fact the floor isn't flat, nothing new to anyone here. It is especially difficult for my 13 yr old fur kid.

She's all stock, for now...
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I'm usually by myself in the truck so my dog gets the whole backseat to himself. I put a weathertech floor mat back there. I fold the seats up and I got a 'mud river' seat protector for dogs. It hangs off the head rests and covers all of the floor (crewmax). Easy to put in and take out and just vacuum it once in a while to get the hair off. Waterproof too.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Depends on where we are going. If I am just taking him to the local park where I know he will get into the creek and get muddy, I will put his crate in the bed and strap it all down. When we travel and go somewhere, I built a platform for the back seat. I have the ESP storage so there's no longer a flat platform for him when I put the seats up and I don't want him walking on my leather seats. So I took some plywood and 2X4's and built a platform that when the seats are flipped up, it makes it a level surface in the back. I covered it with some automotive carpet so it's nice and comfy for him.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My own dog rarely travels. For the dogs I transport, I use a harness attached to the seat belt (belt is buckled behind the dog, not around them). For smaller dogs I use a carrier secured by seat belt. Keeps the dogs from getting thrown around if I have to hit the brakes. There's an adapter sold on Amazon that hooks easily from the dog's harness to the seat belt, or they also have a harness attachment if the dog isn't wearing one.
Might be overkill for your average trip to the store or dog park. But I've been doing volunteer transport for so long...I've seen bad things happen. And these dogs aren't mine so I have to be extra careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Same way I transport a human

:: 2011 Silver Sky SR5 TRD Tundra ::
:: Fox Shox Coilovers :: KMC Skitch 18x9 :: N-Fabs
:: Nitto 295/70R18 :: DDM HIDs :: BedRug Liner::
:: Access Tonneau :: P4200DVD:Massive Audio:2xRF 10's:WDTV ::
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 34,072 Times in 11,928 Posts
Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflip View Post
My own dog rarely travels. For the dogs I transport, I use a harness attached to the seat belt (belt is buckled behind the dog, not around them). For smaller dogs I use a carrier secured by seat belt. Keeps the dogs from getting thrown around if I have to hit the brakes. There's an adapter sold on Amazon that hooks easily from the dog's harness to the seat belt, or they also have a harness attachment if the dog isn't wearing one.
Might be overkill for your average trip to the store or dog park. But I've been doing volunteer transport for so long...I've seen bad things happen. And these dogs aren't mine so I have to be extra careful.
You're a smart man! And as a volunteer, I'm sure you know how frequently dogs run away at the scene of an accident when they're not buckled in.
The Following User Says Thank You to tridacna For This Useful Post:
fixnflip (02-27-2017)
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
We have two greyhounds (80lbs each) and the Tundra TRD PRO Crew Max. We take the rear seats down, put a bunch of pillows to make it flat and even, and that's it.
However I can tell you that they enjoy better our Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (with all rear seats down and pillows all over the place).
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Double Cab here, plus camper shell. If its just us with the dogs I put them in the back seat (seat down) covered with a Carhartt dog pad. If there's more humans then the dogs ride in the bed, under the Snugtop, with a few Carhartt dog beds.

2014 Tundra DC Limited TRD 1G3 - Bilstein 6112 (max) 5160 + Toytec shackles (max)
Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/70R18 (OEM TRD Wheels) & Cooper M+S LT275/65R20 (OEM Platinum wheels)
Platinum color-matched Grill, Handles, Mirror caps - TRD Pro skid plate - Coachbuilder carrier drop
Snugtop Xtra Vision Shell w/ custom aluminum sleeping platform - ARB 2500 Awning

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.