Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Dealer owes me - what shall I demand?

9K views 80 replies 25 participants last post by  cknpro 
#1 ·
Due to a mistake made by the dealer - they owe me $1044. It's documented, they're gonna do something for me. I have a 17 Limited 4x

So what would you think is the best bang I can get for their buck and why - Borla exhaust or TRD suspension?

#4 ·
I'm sure you both are correct. I have considered that, but then I'd have to be the one to install it....or pay someone else to do so. I figure the exhaust would not be that bad to handle on my own. I think I could borrow a friends garage with a lift. But then I have never done any exhaust work...

Maybe ask another way - if these two things were both the same price, you had the money but had to choose, which one would you choose and why?

#6 ·
TRD suspension or TRD PRO suspension? Big difference...if they give you TRD then you're getting a reach-around.
I'm pretty sure the TRD PRO suspension is way more, plus the install, so if you can get that all-in I'd get it.
This way if anything happens mechanically, then you can blame them.

You should really tell us what they did...you don't have to tell us what dealer... :dunno:
They didn't forget to add oil, did they?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#11 ·
Delivered a truck without options that I was confirmed to have had. Nothing serious, nothing I would trade off the truck for, but things they admit they said were there, I negotiated based on that confirmation, then when the truck showed up the next day and I picked it up late that night, they weren't there. JBL sound system and automatic locking tailgate - amounts to $1044 difference in what I have and what I was supposed to have. I just did not notice it until the next morning in the light of day. They admitted it was their mistake for leading me astray. I had four other trucks I was looking at at other dealers but I chose this one because I thought they were getting all I wanted at a good price. Had I known the facts, I would have either negotiated further or chose another truck.

They can do nothing about the JBL system at this point. And in hindsight, I'm probably better off without it. The locking tailgate they can perform at the dealership and I might get them to. But I can do that myself without much trouble and probably do it better. And if they do that, according to their figures, they'll still be into me for $750 or so. The whole thing is up in the air yet, but I am going Monday to settle it. My family has purchased no less than 8 vehicles from this dealer so if they quibble much at all over this I'm going to make it very uncomfortable for them. I expect the owner will likely get involved.

I would have to make up the difference in the TRD Pro suspension - this would just be the standard TRD parts installed if I go that way. Aftermarket I figure that is about $600 installed??

#13 ·
You're better off like you said w/o the JBL. Tailgate thing is no bigge.
I thought you were going to say they didn't add oil after your first oil change so they offered you that to keep you quiet.

Don't waste your time with the normal TRD suspension....it's crap low end Bilstein.
If you're sure you want the exhaust, look to see how much it is online and print off that as tell them to subtract that from your owing.
Don't forget there's 2 parts of the exhaust.

#14 ·
Also, if you don't like chrome like the grille, surround or bumper ends, look around on here for the part# and again look for the online prices and make them give them to you for those prices....just another idea.

#18 ·
That will likely be my first offer. If they balk I'll give them another out. This was done by a rookie salesman, but a manager was involved and gave me the same assurances. I'm convinced the salesman just didn't know, and he has admitted so. The manager should have know better and probably did. Like I said, we have give them a LOT of business over the last several years. I am going in thinking they will be looking to do the right thing.

#21 ·
The PRO grille is nice, but pretty common now. That Limited grille looks pretty nice and clean.

I would think they wouldn't want to risk a bad survey if you received one.
My RV manufacturer sent me a survey after 1.5 years of ownership and I told them what I thought about my dealer.
I filled out the online survey on a Sunday and the dealer was trying to call my cell by 8:45am the Monday.

#32 ·
I'd probably go the Fortin route. I believe it used the factory remote.
I'd like one too but it doesn't normally get cold enough to justify it here.

There's a lot more info on here about the system.
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/538730-fortin-evo-one-install.html

I've got a Compustar alarm/remote start.
I bought it to cool and heat the truck before I get in it.

But since getting my BA muffler, I use it everyday.
I like hearing the truck start from the outside as I walk up to it.

You don't need a lift to install an exhaust, tough question. Buy whatever you decide online and do the work yourself to maximize the value.
I agree.
i installed my BA muffler, the Helmholtz resonator, and even replaced the rear exhaust pipe in my garage with any lift or jacking up the truck.
I just had to drop the spare for the resonator and rear pipe.

#26 ·
#36 ·
The locking tailgate was standard on my 08, another one of Toyota's brainless changes I guess. JBL, or Non-JBL the stereo systems in these trucks still suck...go for aftermarket, you can get a damn good stereo for $1,000...not sure how useful a locking tailgate is unless you have a camper shell or hard cover over the bed.

#43 ·
I already purchase an extended full coverage warranty to 125K. I did negotiate this down to almost half price as well as got the paint coverage.

The biggest reason I have reservations about the factory remote start is I have heard it has almost zero range - like 50 feet. The Ford would start at about 100 yards. This is not an issue in my car shed, but at the office or elsewhere it could be. In the south we don't worry about the cold as much as the heat. It is amazing how much just 5 minutes of A/C will make a truck tolerable to get in. Ford max run was only 15 minutes so that doesn't bother me really. Having to restart the truck sounds like only a minor irritation. I wonder if it shut off if you use the key to open the door? Either way, that fact alone would not be a real problem to me. The range could be.

I am going to address this one way or the other in the morning - we will see what they do.

#48 ·
Get a trd dual exhaust? Maybe line the bed, trd rear sway bar, trd pro grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#51 · (Edited)
Do you have in writing that it was supposed to be on the truck? If not you've got a lot of bark but not much bite unfortunately. You already bought the truck. They should make it right, but they don't have to. You can try corporate but usually those calls fall on deaf ears, with a reply of, "Dealerships are individually owned and we can not make them do anything."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.