LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Super White Paint???

Short story, I had a ARE Z topper recently install on my 17 Super White CM Pro and due to it not fitting and being crack, I had to return the topper. When inspecting the truck I found scratches on both side of my truck. To my dismayed of the dealer having to rip the truck bed apart and paint it....I believe this the best route.
I'm a complete novice when it come to paint! Question is, in the dealer estimate break down it list "Clear Coat" as one of the step. I remember reading on here that the super white does not have clear coat. Is this true and is there a negative/positive to having it clear coated?....does Toyota have different process for their painting? Truck is scheduled to go in this coming Monday(20th). Greatly appreciate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TundraChip.jpg (98.8 KB, 87 views)

TEAM TOP PIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I may be wrong but I body has a clear coat but the plastic parts like the grille surround does not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:02 PM

Thanked 9,665 Times in 5,091 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
From what I have read...

The 202 black and the super white are a single process paint color.

Not base/clear.

Now, adding clear is actually a good thing.

If you get scratches, you have something to work with.

My 2010 was 202 black. It sucked for scratches. Any tiny scratch was in the paint instead of in the clear/barely in the paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Had/gone 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers.
I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-15-2017)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 PM

Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,257 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Is there more than that or just that corner?
I wouldn't be happy about it, but if that's all I think I might rather hit it with a paint pen that comes with clear and take some sort of credit in lieu for the damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crewmax LTD/NFAB SS/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/Skyjacker 3" struts/Skyjacker 0-2 rears/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for the inputs. Again, totally neeb when it comes to paint, but with the addition of the clear coat added, will that not make the rest of the truck look more plain/less glossy looking or is the clear coat just a layer of protection in a sense?

As far as just using the paint pen, all three auto dealers I got estimate from suggest if I wanted it done right to paint the whole panel. There are some other small scratchs along side the plastics side panel on the truck bed too but not nearly as bad as the attached photo.
Also I'm not getting this done by the dealer who sold me the topper but they are paying for the paint job.....good luck trying to get them for a credit for the damage!....fought them the whole time!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TundraPro406 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (02-15-2017), theoat (02-16-2017)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 PM

Thanked 9,665 Times in 5,091 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
There is no fixing that without actually repainting it.

I had my tonneau come loose at a service (still not sure how the eph that happened, and think they did something baddd). The tonneau rubbed through the cab paint.

I just put black electrical tape on it as repainting it was too costly.

The clear might add more shine, but as long as the color match is good, you can buff/shine the rest of the truck and won't notice any difference imo.

Now, if they are cutting YOU a CHECK, I would prolly get a good place to touch it up first. Good touchups on white turns out pretty good.

White is a very forgiving color.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Had/gone 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers.
I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-16-2017)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
I don't think you'll have a problem with them repainting the panel. Sort of related - When we got the 07 Prius new, a few months later, someone rear ended us and ruined the rear bumper cover. The dealer had to order it unpainted. Their body shop matched it up perfectly (it's the light green color).

I'd imagine with white, it won't be an issue, especially if the truck is pretty new.

Loooooong bed!
The Following User Says Thank You to tomscigars For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-16-2017)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Super White is 100% single stage. It's the same on all panels, not different between metal and plastic.

To the OP's question about will it look different? Answer: maybe not too bad when new. BUT...

Because the Super White is single stage, the paint oxidizes. When it oxidizes, it dulls and gets "off-white" looking. If the bed is clear coated, it will not oxidize. After a year or two, it will look like obviously 2 different shades of white. Only way to fix it is to completely polish out the paint to bring back the nice bright, clean white. Then in another year or two it's back to being 2 obviously different shades. You simply don't want this. It's not the right way.

But all this is IF they are painting it BC/CC (base coat then clear coat). A SS (single stage) paint still has clear in it, but it's not 2 stage sprayed BC/CC. So just because you're seeing a line item doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be sprayed BC/CC. I'd just talk to the shop that gave the quote and make them figure out the answer for you...is the new white they are spraying going to be applied as a SS paint?

It's not a complicated matter for a body shop who deals with stuff like this everyday. While SS paints are becoming more rare, they still exist to a level where body shops have to know how to deal with it. As long as their paint supplier (PPG is ideal) makes the paint in a SS offering for your color code (which they should), then that's how it'll be applied. More or less the SS or BC/CC application is dependent on what the paint mixing computer tells them.

I'd just be firm with the body shop, don't let them squirm out of giving you an answer. Tell them your toyota paint Super White 040 is single stage. If they repaint a panel on the truck, is the new paint they're applying a SS paint or BC/CC paint? That should let them know you're not an average customer who has no idea what is going on and they should be willing to get you the answer. As common as 040 is and as long as it's been around, an experienced painter should know off the top of their head without even really having to think about it.

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust

Last edited by GreatAvalon; 02-16-2017 at 12:08 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreatAvalon For This Useful Post:
15whtrd (02-16-2017), Newm (02-16-2017), theoat (02-16-2017), Wacked (02-16-2017)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Wow!...info like this is what make this forum so great. Thanks all of you and great insight GreatAvalon! I will definitely ask the auto body if it'll be SS or not.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraPro406 View Post
Wow!...info like this is what make this forum so great. Thanks all of you and great insight GreatAvalon! I will definitely ask the auto body if it'll be SS or not.
Yes it is!!! No problem at all. Post back what they say and if you have any other questions!

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatAvalon For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-16-2017)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quick update.....talk with the auto body owner today and he was initially going to go with the BC/CC paint process. Told him the Toyota Super White(040) is single stage and he said no problem. Although shock, he mention that when checking the computer paint process it would have told him it was SS. Thanks again for all those whom chime in! Will post before and after pic once completed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.