Car seats, double cab, and regrets? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Car seats, double cab, and regrets?

I posted this on another forum to get some opinions, so I figured I would head here and see what everyone's thoughts are. I'll keep it short. I purchased a 16 Tundra SR5 DC in October 2015 to replace my AC Tacoma that really wouldn't accommodate my future son's car seat. Fast forward to today, and he's now in a convertible seat (Bitrax...still rear facing), and it takes up a big portion of the back seat in the middle (it's actually sticking out in between the front seats a bit. My wife wants a second, and while we're not expecting yet, I foresee that possibility, and am starting to wonder if a crewmax would be a better option. We do have a 4runner that has a bit more space as well.

I'm just hesitant on two fronts:

A. I do like having the 6.5' bed.

B. I'm 14 months in on my payments paying $120 more each month on a 48 month loan, so I'm expecting to pay off in well under the 4 year mark. I don't want to take a hit, and I really wouldn't like hitting the reset button on my loan.

So, I know two car seats are doable in a double cab, but is "doable" worth saving the money over? That's the big question.

Thoughts?

Did anyone ever go from a DC to a CM and actually regret it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
How long do you plan to keep the truck, and do you plan on hauling your kids around in it along with their stuff?

If it's a long term vehicle (8-10 yrs); then bite the bullet for the change in circumstances and your kids and sanity will thank you on road trips later. The shorter bed is a definite con; but if you can live without it the interior space is great in the crewmax.

Take your car seats to the dealer and put them in a crewmax, to judge for yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to elbman For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-14-2017)
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbman View Post
How long do you plan to keep the truck, and do you plan on hauling your kids around in it along with their stuff?

If it's a long term vehicle (8-10 yrs); then bite the bullet for the change in circumstances and your kids and sanity will thank you on road trips later. The shorter bed is a definite con; but if you can live without it the interior space is great in the crewmax.

Take your car seats to the dealer and put them in a crewmax, to judge for yourself.
I planned to keep this truck for at least 10 years. Also why I'm kicking myself for having second thoughts this early in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgh-pa For This Useful Post:
nvrgvup444 (02-20-2017), theoat (02-14-2017)

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 14,244 Times in 7,260 Posts
Mentioned: 472 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5213 Post(s)
Garage
Put the wife back on the pill for a couple of years. Then upgrade to a Crewmax when the redesigned 2021 comes out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AZ Tundra Club #71
Save The Chrome Club #1
RYRWDBTTBYCDI Club #34
SAVE THE CHROME!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azblue For This Useful Post:
C-Max (02-17-2017), MattFL850 (02-15-2017), nvrgvup444 (02-20-2017), theoat (02-14-2017)
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
We've got a 4 year old and a 7 month old. It works. Once they're in forward facing- it works better... (I have the rear facing behind me, but I'm 5'-9" - allows me to unsnap the base quickly if need be as the other is more of a pain to remove).

I debated about getting a crew max- I even went and looked at fords and GM as they have crew with 6.5' bed. Kept my Toyota, will get another tundra, and it'll still be a double cab. I can't sacrifice the bed. Extra room would be very nice inside, but it's not unmanageable where as a 5.5' bed is for me.

Really comes down to what's more important for you- bed use or interior space. You won't be fitting a mid seat rear passenger comfortably for a longer trip in either case with two car seats.
The Following User Says Thank You to nibbs For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-14-2017)
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I feel qualified to put forth some input here. I have a 13 D.C. And two kids in car seats, 5 year old and 22 month old. The 5 yr old is behind my wife and the other is behind me, rear facing. While it's not the best possible, it isn't uncomfortable. When we road trip for extended periods my wife will occasionally sit in the middle back seat when the kids act up. There's plenty of room back there and she can't prop her legs up on the center console and take a nap. We actually prefer taking the truck on road trips vice our Grand Cherokee overland summit because of the shoulder room and the full sized center seat. One thing we noticed in other manufactures was the 3/4 center seat butt cushion.

I will not lie that I wish I had a crew max, but it's not enough for me to go buy a different truck just for a little more space. What I will say is that my next truck will have the biggest cabin available for the model/make I decide to buy.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Get the crewmax. If you're thinking about room now, you'll want the room later. I upgraded my 2014 DC for a 16 CM and couldn't be happier. I also have the front bench seat that we occasionally use.

Bed space isn't a huge deal, I've hauled a lot of stuff for home renos with the CM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 AM

Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,286 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
The CM would be more "ideal" for rear facing, but guys do it with DC's. I believe the DC has the same leg room as an F150 crew anyways.
Comfort will likely rest on how tall you and your wife are and how bulky your child seats are.

Seeing as you have a DC and 1 car seat, why don't you use the outer rear seats with the latch system and see what it's like....
By doing that on both sides, you and your wife will both get a true feel for what you will be in for with 2 rear facing seats.
Depending on how your kids are spaced age wise, you might have one forward facing by then.

Also as mentioned, you could test fit a rear seat at the dealer in a CM, but I wouldn't advise doing that or you will realize how much more space it has interior wise seeing as you don't want to trade-in ideally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crewmax LTD/NFAB SS/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/Skyjacker 3" struts/Skyjacker 0-2 rears/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,286 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Get Snipped and don't tell the wife......

Crewmax LTD/NFAB SS/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/Skyjacker 3" struts/Skyjacker 0-2 rears/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
The Following User Says Thank You to theoat For This Useful Post:
mgh-pa (02-14-2017)
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I'd stick with the DC for now. But if you are ok financially to take a hit with a trade in or sell it for the CM then go for it. I'm the type that buys a vehicle and keeps it for 10yrs or so or until the repairs are way too much and in the shop, then time to sell.

Black 16'DC Tundra SR5/SR5 upgraded package acquired 4/15/16: NFAB W2W Nerf Bars, Truxedo LoPro bedcover, TRD rear sway bar, BedRug bed liner, 20% tint, TRD 18 OEM wheels. Loudoun VA

Previous:93 FZJ-80, 97 4Runner SR5, 03 4Runner SR5 Sport

"Don’t let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.”
The Following User Says Thank You to nova16tundra For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-14-2017)
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 AM
DUG

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Those kiddos only take up a ludicrous amount of room while they are rear facing, which in the scheme of things (10 yrs as you say) is a pretty short amount of time. Even rear facing the double cab can handle it. As soon as the little ones turn around you've got plenty of room. And you've still got a normal sized bed. With the CM you're stuck with that little chopped off bed. So at that point will you be in the opposite boat?

Doug
2015 DC SR5 TRD 4x4
Magnetic Gray Metallic
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll stick it out for a while. My wife is short, so if/when we put another seat in, it can go behind her, and we won't lose much leg room. Financially, it's also a smarter decision.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgh-pa For This Useful Post:
Les_Paul (02-14-2017), nvrgvup444 (02-20-2017)
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Rear Facing Convertible car seats take up a ton of room, now they want you to rear face your child as long as possible, We plan on a second soon my son will be 2 coming up, hopefully when the next one comes we'll turn my son around behind me. I'm 6'7 with a crewmax, and I still want for space!
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I went from a DC to a CM - I have a 2.5 year old. I was tired of him kicking the back of the seats, but I'm 6'3 so I have the seat all the way back. My DC was 10 years old so I wanted to upgrade anyways but it's nice having the extra room.
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do miss having the bigger bed several times a year, but the crewmax is awesome for 2 car seats. Mine are both forward facing now and the extra space is great for traveling. Wish Toyota would make a crew max with the longer bed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.