Car seats, double cab, and regrets? - Page 6 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoat View Post
My guess is they nail him with say 2-3k but they re-start his payments for the same if not longer term.
Just like the old dealer scam "we want your truck and think we might be able to keep your payments the same, only you've paid 50% off and they're trying to restart your say 60 months.
Yeah which is why most likely I won't follow through with it. Finances trump all.

I would rather have my vehicle paid off early and possibly have some regret about vehicle choice than reintroduce more debt and a longer pay off period to get a bigger cab.

I may have to chalk this up to a lesson learned.
The Following User Says Thank You to mgh-pa For This Useful Post:
theoat (03-11-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 AM

Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,326 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
You'll be fine son....
You'll just be a little slightly tighter for room in 1 area and not as much in another.
Not the end of the world. There's days I think I'd rather have a DCLB, but really the CM is a better fit for me.
We also don't use my truck as a primary family vehicle either.

Just remember....no matter what BS these guys try to feed you, the truth is.....

=

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crewmax LTD/RB10/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/5100's/Ride Rites/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
post #78 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh-pa View Post
Yeah which is why most likely I won't follow through with it. Finances trump all.

I would rather have my vehicle paid off early and possibly have some regret about vehicle choice than reintroduce more debt and a longer pay off period to get a bigger cab.

I may have to chalk this up to a lesson learned.

If you're actually contemplating it, look into selling your truck on Craigslist. I bought a 2014 DC after selling my 2014 Ford crewmax. Thought I liked the DC then decided I wanted crewmax. Sold the DC on craigslist for what I paid for it 6 months and about 8k miles later. Then went and bought a new CM.

In Missouri we have 18 months to buy a new vehicle and put the sold vehicles value towards new vehicle as if it were traded. So I paid taxes on 7k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Schaffer05 For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-17-2017)

post #79 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffer05 View Post
Can't do what a proper pickup can? C'mon, now you're talking out your @$$ lol. Anything you can haul in your truck I can haul in my truck. Might need a little rigging, but give me a break.

Your paddle boards, tailgate up, rest them on the tailgate and ratchet them in. Not that difficult.

10-12' board, same thing. Don't want a ticket, tie a red flag to the end of it so you're following the law, then you don't risk a ticket.

I'm not arguing that some people need the extra space. But let's not kid ourselves here and say the crewmax is not capable of the same things a DC is .

Crewmax with tracracs can haul anything
post #80 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Look, I'm not saying everyone with a CM cross shopped minivans, its possible they looked at the Ridgeline too. (Sarc)

I think there have been many threads like this one, its obvious that truck buyers really would prefer to not have to choose. I think the most relevant point of all this is if the engineers would narrow the cowl, or shorten the engine compartment we could have both a CM cab and a 6.5 bed. It doesn't have to be either or.

Perhaps when Tesla designs a truck, we won't need much of a hood at all - the entire length of the vehicle could be useful cab and bed. Toyota, Ford or anyone else's engineers listening???

2014 Tundra DC, 5.7 Supercharged.
post #81 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have a 07 DC and 3 kids. 13,12 and a 6yr old. The older two have enough room but the 6yr olds car seat is in the middle and it puts his feet in the cup holder. I feel bad for him on long trips because he's kind of bunched up.

My next Tundra will be a Crewmax for sure. I like having the 6.5' bed now but if I need to haul something big I will drop the tailgate or use a trailer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainMonkey For This Useful Post:
C-Max (02-17-2017), theoat (02-17-2017)
post #82 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I have a friend that swore by the DC, and it's 6.5' bed. Almost daily, hauled things that suited fine with tailgate up. He bought a newer Year model DC, and within one year, traded up for a '16 CM. The reason was the interior space.

That said, I considered a DC some years back, but the interior space was the priority because of family. Kids grow up, and they eventually kick their feet too. The extra cab space is hard to beat. The shorter bed isn't a problem for me. Like others, I have a utility trailer for occasional hauling for large items.

'12 CM SR5 (TX Edition) - DEAD...
'16 CM SR5 4x4 - Cosmetic Mods...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to C-Max For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-17-2017)
post #83 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dealer will get back to me on Monday with prices for a crewmax SR5 with S&C, SR5 Upgrade, as well as a limited and Platinum. Just curiosity.
post #84 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love the double cab though I have not had a rear facing seat in the back yet. But, I rarely have the family in the truck and I'm a carpenter so I need the 8' bed which is a great addition, space wise, though makes for a long truck to get used to driving. I also like the extra storage space under the back seats of the DC if you get that option. Do you guys have storage under the seats in the CM? I didn't even look at one because I wanted to be able to fit 4'x8' sheets of plywood in the back. I'm very happy with the double cab regardless.
post #85 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So I have not read threw all of comments but I have a 6 month old and have a 16 double cab.

I have gone on about 9 LONG ass trips with my kiddo, wife and tons of baby crap. I can say I have 0 regrets with the double cab and having a baby seat in the back. There is actually tons of space for everyone. I drive mine as the family hauler and DD.

The Crewmax seemed like a horrible choice for me because of the bed size. Whats the point in having a truck and having a tiny ass bed? I don't know about you, but I am hauling car parts, house crap, and other big items that would be a MASSIVE pain in the ass to put in a Crewmax bed.

Over all, I think the DC has more then enough room for a family. A buddy of mine has two kids (1,3) and dogs they have a 14 DC and go on week long vacations driving to places. Never seemed to have an issue.

"No"

Rosa Parks
post #86 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Looked at both and loved the room inside the CM but couldn't live with the bed. Downsized from a 1 ton dodge with an 8 ft bed so even the 6.5 is smaller than I'm used too but the back seat is about the same size as my 4 dr dodge was. Have a 5 and 3 year old and we fit just fine in the DC. Both are great trucks the Bigger bed just is a better fit for me
post #87 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM

The reason I bought my CM w weeks ago was cause we have a 3rd on the way...will have two in convertibles and a fresh one in a basket. I need something I could fit 3 wide in.......I was driving a '08 750li and it would have worked but the car was slowly falling apart. Had narrowed it down a '13/'14 750li / F-150 / Durango / Tundra.....tundra won out on a total impulse buy (went to buy groceries, came home with a truck)

2017 CM Limited
2001 911 Turbo (the daily)
1955 Chevy Suburban (chopped street rod)
post #88 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:37 AM

at the end of the day, if you have more than one kid in a rear-facing car seat (or plan to), the crewmax is the way to go. convertible car seats are HUGE and take up considerable room. the middle spot in a DC may have enough room if you only have one, but good luck putting them directly behind the front seats.

but hey, you can always throw them in the bed and they'll have an extra foot of space to bounce around in

in my house, kids come first and bed length is pretty far down the priority list.
post #89 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
When it comes to DC vs CM it is all about an individual's needs. Each has their pros and cons depending on one's needs. For me, the DC is the better choice. Given what, where and how often I have hauled stuff over the years in the bed of my DC, it blows the CM away, end of story. Since my DC is used primarily as a truck for hauling things, as opposed to a "family hauler" it works better for me. For those with families I can understand how a CM better fits their needs given family is their priority.

Charlie

2012 Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7L, Silver Sky Metallic, SR5 Pkg, Tow Pkg, OEM Towing Mirrors, Chrome Appearance Pkg, AM/FM/CD w/ MP3/WMA Playback, Rubber Flr Mats w/Door Sill Protector, A.R.E "CX" Cap, BedRug Bedliner, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Seatcovers, Westin 6" Oval Nerf Bars TWACCM #48

post #90 of 105 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A lot of good points for both models, but its too bad people didn't list their height and significant other's height when it comes to this debate. At 6'7" tall there wouldn't be an option for a car seat behind me in a DC because I need all the leg room I can get, and for that reason I have a CM. Also why we don't take road trips with the wife's accord...one seat has to be slid forward to accommodate a car seat. I have also sat in the back of a DC, and once again the people saying its comfy and fine, how tall are you? If the person in front of me is tall and doesn't have the option to slide the seat forward it is an uncomfortable ride.

BL - to each their own.
The Following User Says Thank You to Usaf.2012 For This Useful Post:
Wacked (03-11-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.