Car seats, double cab, and regrets? - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
I have a double car and our 9 month old is rear facing in a convertible seat as well. We have a Britax car seat and a maxi cosi. If I take the wife's maxi cosi and out it in the middle I can still use my bench up front, because it offers 2 rear facing and 2 front facing options. #2 sits them up more which my daughter prefers and this was she can always fit.

Even if you got pregnant now you have 9-10 months till you need two car seats if your using a convertible seat now I assume your 6 months plus and will be well over a year old by the birth of baby #2 . Now it is encoraged to keep them rear facing up to 2 years. But if you got a seat with multiple rear facing options he could easily sit up more as needed and barely slide your wife's seat forward and then out the baby in the middle. And then you still have the spar behind you IF she needs to sit next to a fussy baby or feed the baby.

I also considered the DC vs CM but needed the 6.5' bed and front bench seat to accommodate my niece and nephew who visit a few times a week.

This past weekend we took a trip to Atlanta that was 2 hours each way and had 3 adults 2 kids both about 4' 9". And then our 9 month old and every fit just fine. We just put stuff under the back seat and in a tote in the. Ed of the truck to not junk up leg space.

IF you have no need or minimal need for a 6.5' get then the CM will be better/easier cabin space wise. But the tundra holds value so well I don't see the rush to switch. Could be 6 months to get pregnant then another 9. You could always wait for end of calendar or fiscal year sales and try getting a better deal since you have time and will have paid more down as well.

2014 4Runner Limited MGM
2014 Tundra bilstein 5100, CB shims, and toytec shackles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Crewmax is awesome with 2 kids. Rear facing seats can go behind either seat without interference with the seat.
post #18 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:30 PM

Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,284 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
I don't know if rear facing wise makes a difference, but I've read some higher end seats are less bulky than cheaper ones, so this helps if you have 3 kids side-by-side.
It might be worth your while to see if a higher end seat can save space front-to-back.

I doubt it, but you never know....but an upgraded car seat is going to be a lot cheaper than the hit on trading in on a CM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crewmax LTD/NFAB SS/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/Skyjacker 3" struts/Skyjacker 0-2 rears/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs

post #19 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
I bought a double cab prior to having kids. I now have a crewmax.

I loved my double cab and wouldn't have traded for a crewmax if it wasn't for those darn rear facing car seats. They take up a lot of room.

We took our annual 10 hour trip to the Outer Banks in my double cab the first summer we had our son, when we got back home, My wife told me to get a crewmax. Now she loves the backseat of the crewmax.

My son is a little over 2 now and we've flipped him around to forward facing a few months ago (he loves it now that he can see everything) so it doesn't take up as much room, however we have #2 on the way due in early July so we'll be back in that rear facing rodeo again.

I honestly haven't really missed the extra foot of bed space. I have a Leer cap so I can fill the bed all the way to the ceiling when we pack for trips so it doesn't matter. I also have a hitch cargo basket if I need a little bit more cargo room and I also have a roof rack on the cap.

We use a recaro pro-ride seat if that makes any difference. We used a graco infant carrier with the lock in base til about 4-5 months old, then switched to the recaro. I got tired of lugging the infant seat around everywhere. It was easier to just carry him or put him in the stroller.

-Brad
-'14 Crewmax limited 4x4 MGM. Leer 100XR cap, dual battery setup, 6112/5100 w/ maxtrac shackles, 275/65/20 Hankook dynapro ATM, platinum grill, tow mirrors, color matched front bumper ends, White knuckle sliders.
-(TRADED) '13 Tundra Double Cab SR5 4x4:
-'12 T4R Limited 4x4 Blizzard Pearl (wife's)
-(TRADED) '06 T4R Sport Edition 4x4 (wife's)
post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi8 View Post
Rear Facing Convertible car seats take up a ton of room, now they want you to rear face your child as long as possible, We plan on a second soon my son will be 2 coming up, hopefully when the next one comes we'll turn my son around behind me. I'm 6'7 with a crewmax, and I still want for space!
We switched our son around to forward facing at around 18 months when we took our annual 10 hour trip to the beach. We just left him forward facing since then. He's 2 now (24 months...ugh I hate when people keep tracking by months once they hit 2 years old, sounds stupid). He loves it so much more than rear facing because he can see what's going on. I know they recommend waiting til at least 2 years old but honestly, that's just a recommendation. If I were driving a small car I would probably keep him rear facing but driving a full sized truck, we're probably going to win most accidents we might encounter. We aren't ridiculous overprotective helicopter parents like a lot of parents are these days, I let him eat dirt, drink out of the dog bowl, and just get into general toddler mischeif (while I'm supervising him obviously...). I see some parents who literally try to keep their child in a plastic bubble and I wonder how that child is ever going to function in real life one day.

-Brad
-'14 Crewmax limited 4x4 MGM. Leer 100XR cap, dual battery setup, 6112/5100 w/ maxtrac shackles, 275/65/20 Hankook dynapro ATM, platinum grill, tow mirrors, color matched front bumper ends, White knuckle sliders.
-(TRADED) '13 Tundra Double Cab SR5 4x4:
-'12 T4R Limited 4x4 Blizzard Pearl (wife's)
-(TRADED) '06 T4R Sport Edition 4x4 (wife's)
The Following User Says Thank You to Macgyver_ga For This Useful Post:
the cause (02-14-2017)
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I find it interesting to see all the "I can't live with less than a 6.5ft bed". I am going to call BS on almost all those claims. I have a CrewMax and the 5.5ft bed has been more than enough. Honestly, if you need more space, you should be hauling a trailer or using an 8ft bed.

Its even funnier to see these 6.5ft min bed people put toolboxes taking up valuable space.

I am sure there are a few people who really need the space, but I think they are the small minority.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4wheelerAndToolbox2.jpg (213.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 4wheelerAndToolbox.jpg (146.1 KB, 68 views)
post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordyd View Post
I went from a DC to a CM - I have a 2.5 year old. I was tired of him kicking the back of the seats, but I'm 6'3 so I have the seat all the way back. My DC was 10 years old so I wanted to upgrade anyways but it's nice having the extra room.
^What he said!

I have the crewmax and I am absolutely thrilled that the kids can't kick the back of the seat in front of them, that got REALLY old in my 4runner.
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danh2485 View Post
I find it interesting to see all the "I can't live with less than a 6.5ft bed". I am going to call BS on almost all those claims. I have a CrewMax and the 5.5ft bed has been more than enough. Honestly, if you need more space, you should be hauling a trailer or using an 8ft bed.

Its even funnier to see these 6.5ft min bed people put toolboxes taking up valuable space.

I am sure there are a few people who really need the space, but I think they are the small minority.
I bet there are more than you think... tell me how to fit four 3 foot deep dog kennels in the bed of my truck with hunting gear and buddies for yearly trips in a 5'5 bed...

also- when it's just my two dogs, I can put them front and back on one side and put a small air mattress on the other for nights on the road/in the woods. kinda hard to fit that in a smaller bed too.

I agree that a big market for trucks in the US are those who can buy a truck with a crew cab and like the idea over an SUV...

to each there own- for some of us, we'd buy a DC 8 foot bed if there was the option. To that, I'd say you are correct... I don't NEED an 8 foot bed, and would rather have a crew cab with a 6.5' bed for the same overall length.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3460.jpg (192.3 KB, 72 views)

TWACC #91
MGMC #102
New England Tundra Club Member #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nibbs; 02-14-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added photo
post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:09 PM
My Password is 1234
Premium Member

Thanked 9,797 Times in 3,843 Posts
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Quote:

Before you get all butt hurt over the thumbs down, it was me...If there was a "you are stooopit" button I would have checked that one too

Tell me please what other things I don't need? I'll be waiting...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fka MBD For This Useful Post:
Johnny 5 (02-15-2017), nibbs (02-15-2017), OkSlim (02-14-2017)
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fka MBD View Post
Before you get all butt hurt over the thumbs down, it was me...If there was a "you are stooopit" button I would have checked that one too

Tell me please what other things I don't need? I'll be waiting...

Toilet paper... just ask for paper instead of plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Schaffer05 For This Useful Post:
fka MBD (02-14-2017), Jesco (02-14-2017), nibbs (02-15-2017), OkSlim (02-14-2017)
post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I like bigger cabs. I have three boys in car seats right now. The crew max fits them easily. I can even for my German shepherd in front of them on the floor. The bed is a foot shorter. With the tailgate down and a bed extender or proper tie downs you can make it work. My other reason for the larger cab is that I am a firearms instructor and that cab allows me to haul an insane amount of ordnance. The crew max cab is meant for frequent and comfortable people/gear hauling

post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It took me 5 seconds sitting in the back of a DC to know I didn't want one. I don't have kids but I plan to use this truck for road trips with my friends and the comfort of the crewmax is incredible. It makes my boss's 3/4 ton Denali crew cab feel like a Yaris on the inside.
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:44 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 25,708 Times in 10,909 Posts
Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Quote:

So your situation is the only way trucks should be built? Kind of like , My way or the Highway. I wouldn't have a truck with a 5.5 bed up my ass if I had room for a freight train.

The voices in my head don't like you

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
The Following User Says Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
Johnny 5 (02-15-2017)
post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 PM
My Password is 1234
Premium Member

Thanked 9,797 Times in 3,843 Posts
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffer05 View Post
Toilet paper... just ask for paper instead of plastic.

#thingsMBDdontneed

good one!
The Following User Says Thank You to fka MBD For This Useful Post:
Johnny 5 (02-15-2017)
post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:46 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 25,708 Times in 10,909 Posts
Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGrain View Post
It took me 5 seconds sitting in the back of a DC to know I didn't want one. I don't have kids but I plan to use this truck for road trips with my friends and the comfort of the crewmax is incredible. It makes my boss's 3/4 ton Denali crew cab feel like a Yaris on the inside.
My Camry rides much smoother than your crewmax.

The voices in my head don't like you

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.