2017 5.7 FFV - Oil Change Every 2,500 miles?! - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Garage
Based on my 2003 F-2fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
How does test that work exactly?
The Blackstone UOA breaks down the oil into the many metals of an engine composition based on your info submitted. Also checks for coolant in oil and silicon.
With a base line of what is normal or expected vice sample on hand they then use (guessing here) the newest tea leaves and freshest chicken bones to determine amount of useful life in that sample batch.

My PS F-2Fiddy 7.3 almost always showed another 1 to 3k miles of life left in it. The wear metals gave a good indication of how the engine is performing and if there are any abnormal trends to monitor.
Excellent service and knowledgeable support for most any questions I brought up.

If this was my issue I would do 2 UOA one for baseline and one for comparison and maybe one more for trend. That will provide the needed data to make a decision on change out frequency w/o the "my BIL hurded from his cousin dat......."

2003 F-250 7.3 XLT-traded for 2014 4Runner TE Prem.
2010 F-150 gone for a 14' CM, 4x4, 5.7L, Barcelona Red, Tan interior TSS Pkg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Going down in a pile of brass, Jack!
The Following User Says Thank You to RingSteel For This Useful Post:
Jarrett (02-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 7,430 Times in 3,737 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Garage
^^^ What he said

Go to their website and order a sample kit. They send them for free. It's 35.00 for an analysis with a TBN (tells you how much longer you can use the oil). I do it every oil change but I suggest at least ever other oil change to build a trend. I don't mind every change because I don't put on a lot of miles so I change it yearly.

I'm Ken and I approve this message -

<~~The Sarcasm is strong in this one.

"Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"
racist ˈrāsəst/ noun 1. a person who is winning an argument with a liberal.
2012 Black SR5 DC 5.7 - A few upgrades.... (Sold 6-29-15)

The Following User Says Thank You to Big Shasta For This Useful Post:
Jarrett (02-16-2017)
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
most good synthetics will far outlast any 5K change interval under normal driving conditions. towing is a different story, but 5K is the standard across many makes and models. i always put in something extended performance, like mobil 1 gold top or pennzoil ultra platinum. i don't put a ton of miles on my vehicles so i stick to the 1 year change interval. been doing this for years and years and never had any problems, but always use top-of-the-line synthetic with a WIX XP (need to match extended oil with extended filter) or better filter. i never trust what they put in from the factory and i never take it in for oil change services, free or not. i don't trust the techs who do them, they tend to overtighten filter housings, drain plugs, etc. plus they tend to make a mess and never clean all the oil off stuff because they are all about speed, not quality. if you are unlucky, you'll get either too much or not enough oil and how many of you actually check the level when it comes back after the service?

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So on the Blackstone thing, do you drain the oil from the pan for the test? Do you do it at any time or at a specific point? I've got about 622 miles on my truck right now, wondering when to test.

I guess for the first 25,000 miles, I'll just follow the intervals in the manual because they are free. Then after that, I'll figure out my own schedule between 5-10k.

I guess I should stick closer to 5k anyway since I have a FFV and pull a ~5,000 lb travel trailer one weekend every 4 to 6 weeks.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Garage
A couple ways to do this.....

Quote:
So on the Blackstone thing, do you drain the oil from the pan for the test? Do you do it at any time or at a specific point? I've got about 622 miles on my truck right now, wondering when to test.

I guess for the first 25,000 miles, I'll just follow the intervals in the manual because they are free. Then after that, I'll figure out my own schedule between 5-10k.

I guess I should stick closer to 5k anyway since I have a FFV and pull a ~5,000 lb travel trailer one weekend every 4 to 6 weeks.
On my PS I Installed a ball valve, warmed up truck then drained a few ounces then filled up bottle.

W/O valve I would use shop vac., run hose to oil fill pipe and run shop vac. Remove drain plug (oil will not drain) then have someone turn off vac few a few seconds collect oil then start shop vac again. This will allow drain plug install. It can get a tad messy first time out though heh...heh....

Good luck.....

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I have a 17 FFV and I just did the 5k service - Dealer told me oil change only needs to be done a 10k. FWIW
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordyd View Post
I have a 17 FFV and I just did the 5k service - Dealer told me oil change only needs to be done a 10k. FWIW

Your dealer is wrong, and is confusing non flex with flex. Not to say you can't get away with it, but if you're using your Toyota care they should be following the book, not what they think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Schaffer05 For This Useful Post:
DTdr2 (02-17-2017)
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffer05 View Post
Your dealer is wrong, and is confusing non flex with flex. Not to say you can't get away with it, but if you're using your Toyota care they should be following the book, not what they think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be - from threads on here I have read the manual states 10k is fine if no towing/extreme driving/not using e85. I will bust out the manual to be sure.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:22 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
From the 2016 Tundra FFV Maintenance Guide...
"Flex Fuel Vehicles (Use of E85)
When using E85 fuel, your engine oil and oil filter may need to be replaced more often. If using E85 fuel more than 50% of the time, change the engine oil and oil filter every 2,500 miles or 3 months. If using E85 fuel less than 50% of the time, follow the normal engine oil and oil filter change schedule (5,000 miles or 6 months)."

From the 2016 Tundra Maintenance Guide (non-FFV)
"Your vehicle is certified with Genuine Toyota 0W20 motor oil. For VEHICLES CERTIFIED FOR 0W20 motor oil, the oil change interval is 10,000 miles
or 12 months IF 0W20 MOTOR OIL IS BEING USED. If 0W20 is not available, 5W20 mineral oil may be used. However, it must be replaced at A 5,000 miles or 6 month INTERVAL with 0W20 motor oil."

2016 Tundra Platinum CM Silver Sky Metallic

AMP PowerSteps, Extang Solid fold 2.0, Bedrug bed & tailgate mat, Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Salex console organizer, OEM console tray,
ESP rear seat storage, VLEDs cabin/backup/cargo, TRD rear sway bar, skid plate, shift knob & wheels, Michelin Defender 275/65R18, Aries 3D floor mats, Xpel paint protection & tint on all windows incl. windshield/sun roof, Driver's side grab handle
Platinum #36, Silver Sky Tundra #221
The Following User Says Thank You to ChucklesToy For This Useful Post:
DTdr2 (02-17-2017)
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:46 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 7,430 Times in 3,737 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I only tested at an oil changes but you could do testing to see if you need to change it yet, but that works best if you install a valve like @RingSteel mentioned. If it was me....I'd do this:

Change at 1K

Change at 5K and pull a sample. They will likely say to go 7500 miles on the next oil and test again.

change it at 12,500 and test it again...they will likely say 10K is fine. Even with that occasional light towing.

Change it at 22,500 and test it again. It will likely say the oil is fine and still had plenty of protection.

Continue with 10K changes sampling every other change.

Of course they could recommend a different interval based on your environment/use but either way you'll have piece of mind knowing you have some analysis to base your interval on and not just a number they tried to pick that worked for everyone.

Also, this is based on never using anything higher in ethanol content than E10....that stuff is horrible for engines. I wish E0 wasn't so expensive.

I'm Ken and I approve this message -

<~~The Sarcasm is strong in this one.

"Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic"
racist ˈrāsəst/ noun 1. a person who is winning an argument with a liberal.
2012 Black SR5 DC 5.7 - A few upgrades.... (Sold 6-29-15)

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Check this out:

2017 Toyota Tundra Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners

Section Under Maintenance
This section is currently undergoing maintenance. Please try again later.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Check this out:

2017 Toyota Tundra Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners

Section Under Maintenance
This section is currently undergoing maintenance. Please try again later.
Hmmmmm. Interesting.

In my opinion a lot of confusing, inconsistent or just plain ole bullshit information from the manufacturer regarding maintenance. Especially in the early life of the vehicle, is designed to protect them against warranty claims. The theory is simple. Get the customer to pay (for example: oil changes no more than every 5,000 miles with 0W20) to reduce your warranty exposure. YMMV.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
what is the toyota OEM oil? it just says "toyota genuine motor oil" in the owner's manual. i'm assuming it is fully synthetic since i think 0w-20 only comes in synthetic. if it comes in non-synthetic, the dealer will for sure use that since they go with whatever is cheapest and "OEM" even if it's $2 a quart.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitronate33 View Post
what is the toyota OEM oil? it just says "toyota genuine motor oil" in the owner's manual. i'm assuming it is fully synthetic since i think 0w-20 only comes in synthetic. if it comes in non-synthetic, the dealer will for sure use that since they go with whatever is cheapest and "OEM" even if it's $2 a quart.
The "toyota genuine motor oil" is 0w-20 full synth, reportedly made by Mobil1. Most of us that do our own oil changes use Mobil1 Extended Performance available at Walmart for about $28 per 5qt jug.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-E...-5-qt/36019107

I have a non-FFV truck, I've been doing my own oil changes every 5000 miles, I only change the filter ever other change, so on the 30k, 40k, etc mileage increments. Easy for me to keep track of.

Just for the record, the cost of a complete oil/filter change is about $45 if you do it yourself

2015 White Double Cab Tundra TRD PRO
Undercover Flex, BedRug, Husky X-Act Contour mats
Cooper S/T MAXX 275/70/R18
The Following User Says Thank You to Garand For This Useful Post:
nitronate33 (02-17-2017)
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Garage
My 2014 is FFV and do oil change at around 7.5k.
Once we are settled in the homestead I will install one of these.https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106N.../dp/B003T7XUE4

Disclaimer...not the correct size for our truck merely a link for display what I was talking about.....

If you ever take it in for an oil change you will have to educate the guy about that valve. I had one idiot refuse to do an oil change because he said it was against company policy if it did not have a drain plug......

well what can I say we have millions of stupid folks, but that's another topic...eh.....heh.......

Last edited by RingSteel; 02-17-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: speeeeelleen....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.