User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Annoying feeling in steering

I have the most annoying feeling in the steering wheel. When I'm making a gradual left turn where the suspension on the left side is really neither loaded or unloaded, I feel a tapping in the steering wheel. Like something is loose or wearing out. Not a cv type of feel, not cycling. It feels exactly like a ball joint, end link or something that has play. But such slight play you can't replicate by hand. Very aggravating. Let me know if anyone has any idea what this could be.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Sounds familiar to an intermediate steering shaft issue. Try a search on here, I think you'll find some people that have solved the issue. What year Tundra?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014magtundra View Post
I have the most annoying feeling in the steering wheel. When I'm making a gradual left turn where the suspension on the left side is really neither loaded or unloaded, I feel a tapping in the steering wheel. Like something is loose or wearing out. Not a cv type of feel, not cycling. It feels exactly like a ball joint, end link or something that has play. But such slight play you can't replicate by hand. Very aggravating. Let me know if anyone has any idea what this could be.
Thanks.
I cant guarantee this is the issue, but I had the same feeling youre describing. I had the dealer try 'greasing the steering shaft which barely improved and then I ended up replaced the lower steering shaft and all is firm and solid again. The shop that did it had a hard time figuring out weather it was the the upper or lower but after grabbing the lower shaft (which you can see through the driver wheel well) and trying the shake it, they could basically duplicate the 'clunky' feeling in the steering wheel. Once they pull it off they found just a hair amount of play but translated through the shaft and felt much worse. Turns out that was the cause. It took them only a hour to replace. the part was $220. well worth it.

Steering Shaft Clunking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Blue Streak Metallic CrewMax Limited
TRD Intake
TRD Big Brake Kit
TRD Sway Bar
Rear DVD
Navigation
The Following User Says Thank You to rptipton For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-08-2017)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It's a 2014 crewmax.
Yeah I had read most of those post about the steering shaft. I would agree with that if it did it left and right. It just seems to the left and a very slight left. Although it could be the way the u joint is in that could be the point when I feel it. It's still under warranty, but getting them to duplicate is next to impossible. Haha
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok so you were right. I think it is in the steering shaft. Dealer never feels it of course. I've heard of people greasing them. How and where is this done on the shaft? Thanks in advance
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well I think I fixed it. Maybe temporary but as of now the feeling is gone. Several on here had said it was the intermediate steering shaft. Said it needed greased. Well I ended up marking it where it connects to the steering column. Took it loose and slid the shaft all the way in. It went so far and stopped kinda like it hit something soft. I'm gonna assume that it's grease. Kept pushing until it bottomed out. Pulled it up and back in again. Reconnected it to the column. Test drive and no clunking feeling. I can only assume that due to heat and stuff the grease drains to the bottom of the tube. When it's pushed down it hits the grease and relubes the shaft. Hopefully this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.