Only one Tundra in New Zealand? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,097 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Only one Tundra in New Zealand?

Been visiting NZ for the last two weeks and I've only seen one Tundra. Spotted this beauty on display on the South Island.

Not many full size pick ups here, but a ton of mid sized trucks. Passed by a small Toyota dealer tonight and couldn't pass up this sweet 2017 Hilux. 3.0L Diesel, 4x4 TRD. Amazing little truck. The Euro Ford Ranger looks very similar to this Hilux. Haven't snapped a pic of one yet.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jumbo Jet For This Useful Post:
15whtrd (02-06-2017), 1lowlife (02-06-2017), ACDan (02-06-2017), Jaj23 (02-06-2017), Powertechn2 (02-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Semi-Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 18,444 Times in 8,682 Posts
Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5146 Post(s)
Garage
I have a friend from Australia and when she came to visit last year, she kept referring to my Tundra as a "monster truck." I guess they drive smaller vehicles over there.

2015 Tundra CrewMax 1794 2WD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddd

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
I have a friend from Australia and when she came to visit last year, she kept referring to my Tundra as a "monster truck." I guess they drive smaller vehicles over there.
Correct. This is their full size truck:

2014 CrewMax SR5 4X4 5.7L: 2" MotoFab leveling Kit, 2Crave NX-5 wheels(5X150 +15 offset to fill in fender flares space), 275/60R20XL Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Tires, VLEDs Triton V3 Switchbacks, TRS Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights, CCI Chrome Grille, Spyder Headlights, Extang Solid Fold, Texas Edition, Leather, Nav, JBL, OEM Flares, Husky WeatherBeaters, Silver Sky Club #136

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Vehicles are extremely expensive to own and operate in New Zealand, which is why a full size truck is rare indeed. I don't remember the specifics, but my hunting outfitter there was telling about it. It seems like they may even be taxed on the number of miles driven. I spent the entire week in his Hilux diesel and thought it was so cool.

2017 Tacoma TRD PRO
2016 Tundra 4x4. Wannabe TRD Pro on the outside, 1794 on the inside.
2002 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax 4x4
2002 Ford F-250 V-10 4x4
1982 Jeep CJ-8
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 04:18 PM

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,044 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Garage
What brings you to NZ? I lived there for a few years and traveled around to the southern half of the north island and the whole south island. My favorite area was Queenstown.

Sent from my Atari 2600
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaj23 View Post
What brings you to NZ? I lived there for a few years and traveled around to the southern half of the north island and the whole south island. My favorite area was Queenstown.
My wife and I have always wanted to come here. For me, it's a fly fishing trip. For her, it's bungee jumping and seeing all the sites. We've seen some amazing things, it's hard to believe just how beautiful this country is. Everything on the South Island is like driving through a Lord of the Rings movie set. The people are incredible. I've never seen such a cool vibe in a country. Everyone is beyond nice and welcoming.

These pics were taken in Queenstown by the airport. Our favorite town so far is Wanaka. We are trying to figure out a way to live here, lol. NZ keeps this place on a tight lock down though.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:13 PM

Garage
If you figure out a way to live there, let me know! My wife and I would love to live there too.

Sent from my Atari 2600
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 PM

Thanked 9,665 Times in 5,091 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
I did the Hilux. Seems to have a big/long shnozz in comparison the the rest of the truck though.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Had/gone 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers.
I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
Jumbo Jet (02-07-2017)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I was in NZ last year in Jan as well and drove most of north island and upto christ church on south island
stopped by several toyota and lexus dealerships and got to drive lexus 2016 LX450 twin turbo diesel and also the landcruiser version with same engine. was toldfirst time lexus diesel was just introduced in NZ only.
just an awesome country with awesome drives.
The Following User Says Thank You to aspec For This Useful Post:
Jumbo Jet (02-07-2017)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaj23 View Post
If you figure out a way to live there, let me know! My wife and I would love to live there too.
We did Iceland last year, and fell in love with that country too. But NZ is just on another level of amazing. We've talked to quite a few Kiwi's and people here on work Visa's as well. From what we can gather, New Zealand keeps out the riff raff by making it difficult to become a citizen. I think it's easy to get a work visa for a few months to a year, but residency takes 5 years from what we've heard. One of our home stay hosts told us that if there is a job opening, it must be attempted to be filled by a New Zealander first. Which is why it's so hard to get a good paying job here. Working in the tourism industry seems to get a lot of people's foot in the door, but the high paying jobs are not easy to land.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspec View Post
I was in NZ last year in Jan as well and drove most of north island and upto christ church on south island
stopped by several toyota and lexus dealerships and got to drive lexus 2016 LX450 twin turbo diesel and also the landcruiser version with same engine. was toldfirst time lexus diesel was just introduced in NZ only.
just an awesome country with awesome drives.

Spent the last two days here with a buddy who's been here his whole life. We drove all over the country side fishing trout streams in his Hilux. He said there are no Tundras here because no one here wants a petrol engine. He said diesel rules the roost in NZ, and petrol engines have terrible resale value. Diesels are so much more efficient, he said you couldn't give away a petrol truck, lol. We've seen Toyota Camrys with diesels here, and a bunch of Toyota models I've never heard of, all diesel. We have a little Toyota Carolla GLX (iM in the states), but it's gas.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo Jet View Post
Spent the last two days here with a buddy who's been here his whole life. We drove all over the country side fishing trout streams in his Hilux. He said there are no Tundras here because no one here wants a petrol engine. He said diesel rules the roost in NZ, and petrol engines have terrible resale value. Diesels are so much more efficient, he said you couldn't give away a petrol truck, lol. We've seen Toyota Camrys with diesels here, and a bunch of Toyota models I've never heard of, all diesel. We have a little Toyota Carolla GLX (iM in the states), but it's gas.
One of the world's best places for brown trout.

Sent from my Atari 2600

Last edited by Jaj23; 02-11-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.