LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:23 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,517 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msocko3 View Post
Just because you haven't heard or read of it doesn't mean it hasn't taken place in the US. I can guarantee if someone in an over loaded rig plows into a member of my family, there will be a thorough investigation and lawsuits to follow. Weight limits are enforceable for more than big rigs, the general public can be subjected to being put on a set of portable scales and fined accordingly. Negligence causing a fatal accident can also lead to negligent homicide charges brought upon the individual operating an overloaded truck or RV which is responsible for the accident that causes the death of others. Just because you can pull something doesn't make it legal or ethical to do so. Actually foolish bravado is just another way to wreck many lives when bad things happen. I see many of folks rolling down the road in RV's who have no business being behind the wheel of such a large vehicle. IMO, if someone wants a 40' diesel pusher and wants to pull a trailer or their car, they should have to be tested and licensed to do so.

I watched an older man just about drag his little Jeep through a 5' deep ditch while making a left turn. The fool made the turn sooner than he should have, the Jeep teetered on the edge. I saw a guy pulling a 40+ foot 5th wheel just about wipe out a small car when he turned sooner than he should have. Then the overloaded fools, amazing what people think is safe. Saw a guy with a Ram 1500 sporting the Ecodiesel badges, must have thought he was driving a HD truck since it was diesel. He had a 30+ foot RV hooked to the back, the bed full of misc junk. That sucker had the headlights pointing at the sky, just an accident waiting to happen. He probably didn't much care about his family because they would more than likely be suffering injury or worse, right along with him.
But people on this forum are pulling huge trailers all the time that are overloaded as well LOL. Doesn't matter what you throw under the hood or in the springs its still a 1/2 ton truck. The automakers and their stupid commercials are absolutely no help in the matter either. They keep pushing numbers up on their towing/hauling specs and people are stupid enough to say well the automaker says I can pull this 20,000lb trailer with my Ford Ranger so it must be ok. Its not about what the commercials show on their "closed" tracks, its what is safe in reality in the real world with other moron drivers to contend with. Sure your truck can tow all that weight but when someone in a "Smart" car pulls out in front of you, or otherwise cuts you off, can you stop that 20,000lb trailer? Highly doubtful, although that "Smart" car will help you slow down a little but not much.

I don't look for Toyota to be doing anything for a larger capacity truck anytime soon. Look, we've had the current Tundra for 10 years they aren't going to jump into anything new anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
3/4 ton

Not to knock the big three, but look at Tundra's front axle spec 4,000lbs then look at older 3/4 front axle spec (10 yrs approx). The spec of 3/4 trucks back then were equal to Tundra's now, also compare front spindles and bearings of F350 to Tundra. Toyota has over built the Tundra since 2007 model year to be used as platform for future 3/4 - 1 ton trucks. I know payload needs to be increased ( leaf springs ) and larger brakes to benefit the 3/4 - 1 ton but the platform is in place to make it happen. I think Toyota is making a mistake by not using the 4.5 diesel that they already have, I know the emissions might be the issue with that power plant. This proven diesel would give 1/2 ton owners the range of 20-30mpg in a full size truck, that's awesome. These are just my 2 cents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 2008 TUNDRA'S To Much to list.
1 2016 TUNDRA
New England Tundra Club #56
Tundra with a plow club #2
Lifted Tundra Club #38
Tundra with a cap club #149
The Following User Says Thank You to toy68 For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (02-06-2017)
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy68 View Post
Not to knock the big three, but look at Tundra's front axle spec 4,000lbs then look at older 3/4 front axle spec (10 yrs approx). The spec of 3/4 trucks back then were equal to Tundra's now, also compare front spindles and bearings of F350 to Tundra. Toyota has over built the Tundra since 2007 model year to be used as platform for future 3/4 - 1 ton trucks. I know payload needs to be increased ( leaf springs ) and larger brakes to benefit the 3/4 - 1 ton but the platform is in place to make it happen. I think Toyota is making a mistake by not using the 4.5 diesel that they already have, I know the emissions might be the issue with that power plant. This proven diesel would give 1/2 ton owners the range of 20-30mpg in a full size truck, that's awesome. These are just my 2 cents.

I would love to see a side by side comparing the parts. That would be awesome to see.
The Following User Says Thank You to flighht2k5 For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (02-06-2017)

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:03 PM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,735 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
To be a 3/4 ton you have to be able to haul 1500 lbs..
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyball View Post
To be a 3/4 ton you have to be able to haul 1500 lbs..

Funny you say that. People cry when a 1/2 ton won't carry 2000 pounds. If it carried 2000 pounds that would make it a 1 ton.
The Following User Says Thank You to flighht2k5 For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (02-06-2017)
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flighht2k5 View Post
Funny you say that. People cry when a 1/2 ton won't carry 2000 pounds. If it carried 2000 pounds that would make it a 1 ton.
But my truck does carry 1ton, not even on bump stops yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160516_171503_2_resized.jpg (88.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20160516_180323_resized.jpg (146.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20160516_180357_resized.jpg (176.2 KB, 65 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black Tundra Club Member #178
2012 5.7 DC Black on Black SR5-tow-off road.
OEM Running Boards
N-fab Light Bar
V Series A.R.E cap with Yakima roof rack
Yakima MegaWarrior with extension
AIP Failure on 12/30/12

Last edited by Bluewoo; 02-05-2017 at 06:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluewoo For This Useful Post:
flighht2k5 (02-05-2017)
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:00 PM

Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,135 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewoo View Post
But my truck does carry 1ton, not even on bump stops yet.
So has mine, but that doesn't make it a 1 ton or even a 3/4!

07' SR5 DC, 5.7, TRD
Toyota SS steps, ARE MX cap
AMP bed step, DIY underseat storage
Weathertech Floor Liners, Weathertech Vent Visors
Cooper Discoverer AT3s, Techstream

TWACC #7
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendonsy View Post

It was a tongue in cheek joke!!!!!
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msocko3 View Post
I can guarantee if someone in an over loaded rig plows into a member of my family, there will be a thorough investigation and lawsuits to follow....I see many of folks rolling down the road in RV's who have no business being behind the wheel of such a large vehicle.
But the RV is perfectly legal and certified safe! A Tundra with upgraded suspension hauling 2500 lb in the bed poses much less risk to everyone on the road than one of those rigs. The Tundra will stop faster, accelerate faster, maneuver way better, and have less chance of tipping over. GVWR ain't what you think.

2016 SR DC Long 4x4. Intermittent wipers added (?!)
Future Offroad RV plans: Bed removed, homebuilt camper installed. Rear seat removed to make room for storage and bikes. King or ADS shocks with 700 lb springs, ~2" lift. Rear leaves, maybe air bags. 18x9 25-35mm rims. Nitto Dura Grappler 305/70r18 (35.2x12.8). And more!
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendonsy View Post
Nope,its a Toyota silly.

Black Tundra Club Member #178
2012 5.7 DC Black on Black SR5-tow-off road.
OEM Running Boards
N-fab Light Bar
V Series A.R.E cap with Yakima roof rack
Yakima MegaWarrior with extension
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.