User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
Some say the Tundra is a 3/4 ton with 1/2 ton suspension...its still a 1/2 ton doesn't matter what running gear it has if it is only riding on a 1/2 ton suspension LOL.
Suspension is an easy upgrade. The other place where a Tundra is lacking is the lack of a full floater axle, but I don't know if that's a deal breaker or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Quote:
Some say the Tundra is a 3/4 ton with 1/2 ton suspension...its still a 1/2 ton doesn't matter what running gear it has if it is only riding on a 1/2 ton suspension LOL.
Suspension is an easy upgrade. The other place where a Tundra is lacking is the lack of a full floater axle, but I don't know if that's a deal breaker or not.

You can upgrade the suspension all you want, but the little tag on the door frame still dictates how much you can tow safely
The Following User Says Thank You to Devi8 For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (02-04-2017)
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about a getting a slightly heavier travel trailer, stay legal of course. I pull a 2016 CRUISER RV RADIANCE TOURING R-28BHIK which falls in the range you are looking at with my 2011 dc 4x4 5.7 flex. It has 2 slides and an island kitchen which gives you a lot more cabinet space. The truck sits nice and level and doesn't hesitate while pulling. The tongue weight is only 680lbs. Just got home yesterday from a 1300 mile round trip.
I also run the prodigy brake controller and have no issues stopping whiling using a 10k wdh.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:39 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,517 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi8 View Post
You can upgrade the suspension all you want, but the little tag on the door frame still dictates how much you can tow safely
Explain that to the rest of the members here who seem to think its fine to constantly exceed that little number on that tag LOL.

Its like the Dodge Ram pickups and I think Chevrolet did it for a while too...you could get a "Heavy 1/2 ton"...still its a 1/2 ton just had a real suspension under it so it didn't look like that 100lb bag of feed was overloading the normal car suspension LOL.

I really hope they finally do something and build a 3/4 ton truck at least, I wouldn't mind buying another Toyota if that were the case, although not often I need the 3/4 ton capacity anymore but for the difference in fuel economy (none) may as well have the extra capacity. I know my next truck will have an 8' bed again though LOL....lots of hauling duties and the shorter bed isn't very helpful sometimes LOL.

If they built a 3/4 ton what would it be called? A T-250?
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
It actually doesn't dictate anything. If you upgrade whatever the "weak link" is, then you can "safely" haul more.

Hauling a 10,000 lb trailer is a hell of a lot more dangerous that not hauling no matter what you use. The weight rating does set the limit though of where Toyota will be responsible for the truck's ability.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Tundra HD.
The Following User Says Thank You to rruff For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (02-04-2017)
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:13 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,517 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Quote:
Tundra HD.
I'd hope they would come up with something better than just adding HD LOL. They could skip the diesel idea as far as I'm concerned, with the emissions requirements on diesels you may as well not worry about them.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
They could skip the diesel idea as far as I'm concerned, with the emissions requirements on diesels you may as well not worry about them.
Only way I'd consider a newer diesel is if there are good emissions delete kits for it. And I live in a state where they don't inspect.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It actually doesn't dictate anything. If you upgrade whatever the "weak link" is, then you can "safely" haul more.

Hauling a 10,000 lb trailer is a hell of a lot more dangerous that not hauling no matter what you use. The weight rating does set the limit though of where Toyota will be responsible for the truck's ability.
Sure, have fun explaining that to the judge when your convicted of manslaughter or the ambulance chaser when they drag your over weight rig on the scales after an accident.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
So no one has heard anything
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Sure, have fun explaining that to the judge when your convicted of manslaughter or the ambulance chaser when they drag your over weight rig on the scales after an accident.
This doesn't even happen in the US. Not sure where you live.

2016 SR DC Long 4x4. Intermittent wipers added (?!)
Future Offroad RV plans: Bed removed, homebuilt camper installed. Rear seat removed to make room for storage and bikes. King or ADS shocks with 700 lb springs, ~2" lift. Rear leaves, maybe air bags. 18x9 25-35mm rims. Nitto Dura Grappler 305/70r18 (35.2x12.8). And more!
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Your right, what was I thinking, I gotta go, got my 10k trailer hitched up to the wife's highlander, it's upgraded and can do it so why not!
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Explain that to the rest of the members here who seem to think its fine to constantly exceed that little number on that tag LOL.

Its like the Dodge Ram pickups and I think Chevrolet did it for a while too...you could get a "Heavy 1/2 ton"...still its a 1/2 ton just had a real suspension under it so it didn't look like that 100lb bag of feed was overloading the normal car suspension LOL.

I really hope they finally do something and build a 3/4 ton truck at least, I wouldn't mind buying another Toyota if that were the case, although not often I need the 3/4 ton capacity anymore but for the difference in fuel economy (none) may as well have the extra capacity. I know my next truck will have an 8' bed again though LOL....lots of hauling duties and the shorter bed isn't very helpful sometimes LOL.

The whole "heavy half ton" thing was just a number increase in gvwr so they didn't have to add catalytic converters back in the 70s. There wasn't anything different between the regular half ton and heavy half.
The Following User Says Thank You to flighht2k5 For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (02-05-2017)
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Just because you haven't heard or read of it doesn't mean it hasn't taken place in the US. I can guarantee if someone in an over loaded rig plows into a member of my family, there will be a thorough investigation and lawsuits to follow. Weight limits are enforceable for more than big rigs, the general public can be subjected to being put on a set of portable scales and fined accordingly. Negligence causing a fatal accident can also lead to negligent homicide charges brought upon the individual operating an overloaded truck or RV which is responsible for the accident that causes the death of others. Just because you can pull something doesn't make it legal or ethical to do so. Actually foolish bravado is just another way to wreck many lives when bad things happen. I see many of folks rolling down the road in RV's who have no business being behind the wheel of such a large vehicle. IMO, if someone wants a 40' diesel pusher and wants to pull a trailer or their car, they should have to be tested and licensed to do so.

I watched an older man just about drag his little Jeep through a 5' deep ditch while making a left turn. The fool made the turn sooner than he should have, the Jeep teetered on the edge. I saw a guy pulling a 40+ foot 5th wheel just about wipe out a small car when he turned sooner than he should have. Then the overloaded fools, amazing what people think is safe. Saw a guy with a Ram 1500 sporting the Ecodiesel badges, must have thought he was driving a HD truck since it was diesel. He had a 30+ foot RV hooked to the back, the bed full of misc junk. That sucker had the headlights pointing at the sky, just an accident waiting to happen. He probably didn't much care about his family because they would more than likely be suffering injury or worse, right along with him.
The Following User Says Thank You to msocko3 For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (02-05-2017)
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
So is there a 3/4 ton coming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.