Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Spare Tire Delete

21K views 112 replies 56 participants last post by  5-20 
#1 ·
Took out the spare today as I have not once in the last ten years and over 400k miles needed one. I do carry a small 12v pump and plug kit and have only used it a couple of times over the years. So why take it out? Easy, weight... plain and simple. I take out the jack and lug wrench as well. Maybe I'm tempting fate but have done this on my last two vehicles.

Some say losing the spare weight doesn't matter but the laws of physics state otherwise. Hell my friend who races paid $2k to have 15 lbs of noise deadening material removed from his Porsche.

#2 ·
You might never need it but then again. I end up in places now and again that would really stink to get a flat and not have a spare. I have had really good luck with running good 10 ply tires and not getting flats but then again sometimes you can hit a rock or chunk of metal that would take out any tire. Ive run one ton trucks over 400,000 miles in my lifetime. I've had flats twice. I just know if I removed mine, I'd be sure to need it.

#4 ·
what are the mpg / speed gains from removing the spare?

From what I gather off of google, the spare weighs about 80 pounds, the jack and wrench weigh what 30 pounds. I don't see how 110 pounds make much difference, but I'm interested to know...

#5 ·
I figure the weight can't hurt under the bed. It's often empty. Also Murphy's law. In my years driving my 05 Tacoma, I used the spare about three times. All from nails. Saved my arse.

#6 ·
Might as well start pulling interior pieces also. Get rid of that power steering pump it adds a lot of weight. It's a truck not a drift car. I put a spare on all of my trailers also. But I'm sure you can make it on that compressor I did that last year with an old trailer had to stop every 30 miles to refill with air. spares are more convenient but if the weight reduction is more important go for it.

#7 ·
I had heard that every 100lbs shaved it equals about how 1/10 off you 1/4 mile and about 0.1mpg gained. But that might be the old school way of thinking. In the past 120k that I put on my 07 I have used my spare 3 times. If you don't ever have tire issues consider yourself lucky.

#8 ·
I have heard / read that every 100 lbs is a 10th second off the 1/4 mile, or 10 percent mpg gain also. But im pretty sure thats for a car that weights 3000 pounds. Being that the tundra is almost double the curb weight, I would expect half the gains.

Personaly i think the spare tire is more valuable than being 0.05 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. But I also have 600 pounds of equipment and tools in my truck all the time, so saving weight is not important to me.

Reactions: ToyotasForever
#10 ·
Another Kia/hyundai way to cut corners. You have a 50% chance of the can of fix a flat working. Hell.....there's a 50% chance of roadside assistance fixing the tire within 8 hrs. Im happy to have a spare tire again.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I knew this would draw some chuckles from most but losing unnessasary weight is my only goal. I'm not looking to gain speed or power and any mpg gain will likely be negligible but that's ok by me as unnessasary weight is not of any advantage. If I get stuck in the middle of nowhere I will gladly follow up for a full shaming. :D

#19 ·
At first I thought it was idiotic to take the spare off. Then I thought about all the times I've used a spare. Zero. In 40 years and ~500k miles driving. Including 13 years where a Toyota truck was my residence, and I beat the crap out of it off road. Very surprised I never got a sidewall gash.

I've gotten plenty of flats. I always carry a spare, but also carry a plug kit and a pump, and I use those first. So far the plugs and pump have always worked. At least well enough to easily make it to a repair shop.

Still for a 80 lb weight saving in a spot where most pickup divers least want to save weight, I think I'll leave mine on just to satisfy Murphy. Even if you stay on the road, Murphy is a bitch.

#20 ·
Have a BMW 328 without a spare. I've replaced the factory runflats with goflats because the runflats are so damn rough. Now I carry a slime kit, plug kit and mini-compressor. There is no actual place for a spare on the E90 BMWs, but I'll sometimes throw a spare in the trunk on road trips if I don't need the space. I've had the "low tire pressure" alarm go off, and I can tell you it's a real "oh-shit" feeling when you know you don't have a spare with you.

#22 ·
I carry a matching 5th wheel, sensor, and tire, and do a 5 wheel rotation. I do this because I frequent areas that would be very inconvenient to get a flat: 4x4 trails, deep in the mountains, snowy trailheads, etc. But if your truck is a mall crawler with easy access for any tow truck then seems like a reasonable way to shave weight.

#25 ·
On some vehicles (not sure about the Tundra), the spare tire is considered into the protection of passengers / gas tanks in case of accidents.
yes I can't see removing it unless you plan on adding some train horns in that location. I have seen this done on a GMC diesel with a huge lift.

#26 ·
I've been very grateful to have a spare quite a few times. I frequent trips across the desert out in the middle of nowhere. Sure I can always call the tow truck but that is a hell of a long tow and I'm going to be paying quite a bit just because I couldn't carry a spare. One time I was driving out in the middle of the desert, in my 2002 Dodge ram. No tire sensors.
I'm doing about 80 and pass a semi truck. He starts flashing his lights and I thought he was going to murder me. Finally after a mile or so I decided screw it I'm gonna pull over just in case something is wrong. Had a semi-flat right rear tire that must've gotten a slow leak on the trip. I could not feel it at all the truck felt perfectly fine. I didn't have a compressor at the time so I just swapped out the spare. A little bit of a pain in the ass because I had a locker in the rear and the spare tire was a little smaller, so I had to switch front to rear then spare on the front. Fast forward to immediately getting a new tire, they took the old tire off and it was delaminating and bubbling horribly on the inside of the tire. I'm glad I didn't just pump it up and drive off thinking always dandy. That sucker could've very well grenade it down the highway in the middle of nowhere possibly causing me to wreck.
Point being, if you get a flat and you haven't driven far on it, patch it up I'm sure it'll be fine. But if you've been driving around on a low tire don't even bother plugging it if you plan on doing any type of high mile per hour. Just saying.

Good luck brother, seriously. But I'll keep my spare.

#27 ·
Every time I bought a new car growing up my dad always asked, "did you get a full size spare?" Just one of little thing I took from him. I think I'll give up the .01 mpg for a little piece of mind I won't be stuck on the side of the road waiting for someone to show up and save me.

#28 ·
And to think I have two spares in my truck. The oem and a full-size 35 incher. No wonder my mileage sucks. I'm gonna pull both off immediately....J/K!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Whatever helps helps you sleep better at night. I'll stick with letting my tpms keep an eye on my tire pressures and roll the dice. Worst case for me is I have to take an Uber ride..... I can live with that but it's unlikely.

#30 ·
not with my luck! i've only used my spare 1 time... and of course i was in BFE Louisiana. It would have cost me more for that one tow/cab/whatever than a lifetime of savings from a "spare tire delete" mod, lol.

Reactions: mrmachinist
#32 · (Edited)
Losing weight? To what end? Do you race your truck? Are you trying to get better mileage?

It's a TRUCK! They aren't supposed to be light. They don't get good gas mileage.

While you are at it you could trim other unnecessary weight:

1. Seat belts. I mean seriously, how many times have you had to use those in your life? Statistically speaking, you will "probably" never need those.
2. Stereo and speakers. You can sing to yourself.
3. Cup holders, sun visors, floor mats, etc. Creature comforts and options are for weenies.
4. Passenger seats. If they don't have a car of their own - they are SOL.
5. Windows. Invest in some good goggles and a winter jacket.
6. Hood/Fenders/other useless body panels. Who cares what this thing looks like - it's a TRUCK!
7. Some of the lugnuts. I mean come on - do you really need 5 per wheel???
8. Sway bar. (Actually - I'm being serious on this one).
9. Doors. These things just get in the way all of the time. You need quick access to your truck.

>:D

#33 ·
I also performed this Spare Tire Delete Mod.
I no longer carry a spare under the bed of my truck and havent for over a couple of years.
The weight and loss of mpgs was just too much to handle.

I do however carry TWO full sized 35" tires on RW wheels in the bed of my truck.
Also a 17 gallon tank full of water, a 100lb 150ah battery and a 200# RTT and another 150lb rack with actuators.
I only do this because of the thread that @2010 started years ago about adding weight to increase your MPGs. The logic in that thread was infallible.

I easily can achieve economies of 8 mpgs city and a blistering 10mpgs hwy. cant fuk with dat can ya bruh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.