User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why buy a Tundra in 2017?

Since November 2009 when my 5.3L Chevy started giving trouble when pulling a horse trailer, I've made the switch to Tundra and have been happy with them. I bought a 2008 for me, then a couple of years later I liked it so much, I got a 2008 for my daughter as well. In 2013, I traded my 2008 in for a 2014 and have been completely happy with it aside from the gas mileage.

My daughter's truck is now getting up there in miles and I want to get her something that has a little more longevity in it, so I'm planning on giving her my 2014 Tundra and buying a new 2017 Tundra for myself. But as I google information on 2017 trucks, I'm finding that unlike in 2009 when I first started researching Tundras, that in 2017 the Tundra is considered at the bottom of the full size, half ton pickup class. It seems like most of the information I'm reading says that the current Chevy, Ford, GMC, Dodge and Nissan trucks are better in almost every category than the 2017 Tundra.

I have a GMC, Ford, Nissan and Dodge dealerships here in town. I have to drive 45 miles to get to a Toyota dealership to buy and service the truck. Historically, I haven't minded doing that since I felt it was a better, more reliable truck than my local offerings, but now I'm wondering if that is still true.

One of the big reasons I went with the Tundra is its power and towing capacity and also because of its reliability. It seems most if not all of these other models have surpassed the Tundra in power and towing capacity these days. Also in fuel economy. But what about reliability? My old Chevys broke down quite a bit. I thought that was just normal until I got a Tundra. Have the Ford/Chevy/Dodges of the world caught up to the Tundra in reliability at this point?

It all makes me wonder, does it make sense to keep buying Tundras if they are not the best truck on the road anymore? What are your thoughts on it at this point? Is the Tundra still a good buy or is it time to make a switch to another truck model?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jarrett For This Useful Post:
Les_Paul (01-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 08:49 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
This subject has been beaten to death. Figure out what things matter to you most in a truck, find the trucks that meet that criteria, go test drive them and then buy the truck that YOU want and not the one everyone else is telling you to buy.

I'm not judging...I'm just sayin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to l1tech For This Useful Post:
Breathing Borla (01-22-2017), Powertechn2 (01-22-2017), SP (01-29-2017), theoat (01-22-2017)
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
What kind of reply do you honestly expect to get on a Tundra forum? Join the Ford forum and I bet you'll hear how the Ford is the best.

The 2017 is the exact same truck as your 2014. Now you can get a larger fuel tank and get an IBC (which is garbage) in your truck. If you love your 2014 and wouldn't get rid of it, you'll feel the same about your 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schaffer05 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-22-2017), theoat (01-22-2017)

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:07 AM

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,302 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
I just bough a 2017 and went through the same thought process. After 9 years of reliable Toyota ownership and 123K trouble-free miles on my 2007 Tundra I couldn't see going out and buying a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. Sure I loved the tech in the new F150s. The huge sunroof nearly did it for me but I kept having visions of my future self pissed off in the service department because I went with something that I knew wasn't as reliable as my Tundra.

What mattered to me was reliable & bulletproof drivetrain, large cab space, and of course a full roll down back window. Only one truck met those requirements for me.

And while Im anxious to see what comes out in 2018 or 2019 in the form of an updated Tundra the truth of the matter is I didn't want to spend more than mid 40's for a new truck so I went ahead and bought.

Life is short, buy what you want! Just make sure you can be happy with your decision.

2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited Weatherby Lake, MO
TRDPro Reservoir shocks Rear
TRD Stainless Dual Exhaust

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kstateskier For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I got a 2017 SR5 CM in November and was also looking at the other models. In my opinion the Tundra looked better and isn't pussified or soft to make the customer feel like it's a cadillac. It's a truck and trucks are supposed to be tough. So far I love my tundra and get compliments on the paint color. (Quick sand with blacked out badges & wheels.) It's always the same argument with gas mileage and maybe someday the engineers will go to cylinder deactivation or something else to help with MPG. No matter what you can't go wrong with another tundra.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeffery F For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaffer05 View Post
an IBC (which is garbage)
Guessing this is brake controller? What's wrong with it?

Edit: Found this:
2016 Brake Controller problems

Hoping they have it fixed in 2017.

Last edited by Jarrett; 01-22-2017 at 09:20 AM.
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1tech View Post
This subject has been beaten to death.
Can you share some links where it was beaten? I'll go read if the info is already out there, just not finding it.
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just bought a 2017 Tundra SR5 CM last week so I feel I am qualified to reply here

I know the "trap" you are referring to. The "professional" reviews that say Toyota has lost their edge and everyone else is better. I almost bought an F150 and had it not been for a crappy dealership experience, I would have. And it would have been a mistake. Spending the last week with my Tundra reminded me of why I buy Toyota in the first place. It's not just the feeling of having a new car clouding my judgement.

First and foremost in my mind is that I've owned other brands of vehicles for 20 years before switching to Toyota. All of the others had issues that sent me back to the dealer. I've had 4 toyotas before my Tundra and none of them have ever seen the inside of a service bay except for routine maintenance. My wife's highlander has 82,000 miles on it and there still isn't a creak or rattle. None of my Ford's could ever come near that. Knowing that alone made me feel confident about spending $40K on a truck. And that is something the reviewers don't EVER reflect in their articles. They prove that point when they say good things about Ram which is dead last in reliability. They apparently don't care if the truck spends half its time in the shop. How it performs that day of testing is all that matters.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that they test the top end models with stickers north of $60k most times. They knock toyotas interior quality, but the XLT I was shopping against the tundra had just as much, if not more plastic. It definitely wasn't any better. If I was looking at a Lariat vs a Platinum it might be different, but for me I like toyotas interior better. It feels familiar to me because they keep the same light switches, cruise control, etc across lines. My wife went to turn on the lights on the F150 and the wipers started. Tundra feels like "home". And those other trucks may be considered revolutionary with their air ride suspension and turbos, but Toyota's approach is different. Its an evolution and by this point it's tried and true which is why their reliability maintains. Granted, it's a machine and there's always failures and some people will have issues. But the Tundra is also number one in truck reliability and resale value and there's a reason the F150 fell off consumer reports recommended list. Just saying.

I could go on and on but this would get so long no one would want to read it. The Tundra I bought with TRD in Mag Gray looked bad ass sitting on the show room floor. It looked like a TRUCK. Not a car with a 5 foot bed. I ride a Harley Fat Bob and I drive a Tundra for the same reason I ride a Harley. If you ever read a European review of a Harley it's quite interesting. They call it bold and brutal and an assault on the senses. The Tundra isn't quite to that extreme, but when I turn the key and I hear a V8 growl.... combined with the fact I know it's built like a tank....It makes me happy. Maybe Ford or Chevy or Ram ride a little smoother or have a few more gadgets....but for me the Tundra is exactly what I want. And that's why I bought a new Tundra.

Last edited by srv0819; 01-22-2017 at 09:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to srv0819 For This Useful Post:
Meltdownblitz (01-29-2017), nvrgvup444 (01-22-2017)
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks srv0819. That's kind of my thought as well. I know the Tundras. I feel confident that the next Tundra I buy will be as reliable and powerful as the last one I bought. I test drove one yesterday and I knew where all the controls were. It felt just like mine but with a couple of new bells and whistles. I think that's really all I need to know in order to make the purchase.

As long as the Tundra will keep me out of the service bay for 100,000 miles aside from routine maintenance, its still the truck I want. I don't hear anyone saying, "This new Dodge/Ford/Chevy is more reliable than a Tundra."
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:03 AM

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,302 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
My golfin buddy just spent $63.5K on a 2016 Platinum F250 in October. He's already had it in for fixes twice.

The first time his auto headlights stopped working.

The second time his drivers and passenger front doors were misaligned and rubbed the paint off the door edges and cab pillars. He had to have them adjusted and repainted. He was NOT a happy camper having to have his 60 day old truck repainted.

2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited Weatherby Lake, MO
TRDPro Reservoir shocks Rear
TRD Stainless Dual Exhaust

post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Guessing this is brake controller? What's wrong with it?

Edit: Found this:
2016 Brake Controller problems

Hoping they have it fixed in 2017.
Its just his opinion. Just like what everyone else says...
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
I have a 2014 after owning a 07 for 7 years......and have no desire for anything else. I think its better than anything offered from Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. All makers have their trouble spots. Toyota has less of them.

If I just had to choose something else, I'd go with a Dodge. You can find many different models to choose from and most are reasonably priced at a good dealer. Chevy and Ford both have to run 20 percent off promotions to even begin to get in a price range worth considering.

When I comes to gas mileage, Tundras are just as good in the real word MPGs. The Chevy will get a mile or two MPGs better with a less powerful engine.

IF you throw in a Super Charger available.... you can't beat it period.

Granted. The 2018 maybe different and worth the wait. I just don't know what I think about Direct Injection. Which it probably will have. Too many manufactures are having issues with carbon build up and reliability of the components.

Just my penny. Go drive them all and see what you like.

While you at it. Drive one of the Hellcats.... and see if you can walk away from them...
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Since November 2009 when my 5.3L Chevy started giving trouble when pulling a horse trailer, I've made the switch to Tundra and have been happy with them. I bought a 2008 for me, then a couple of years later I liked it so much, I got a 2008 for my daughter as well. In 2013, I traded my 2008 in for a 2014 and have been completely happy with it aside from the gas mileage.

My daughter's truck is now getting up there in miles and I want to get her something that has a little more longevity in it, so I'm planning on giving her my 2014 Tundra and buying a new 2017 Tundra for myself. But as I google information on 2017 trucks, I'm finding that unlike in 2009 when I first started researching Tundras, that in 2017 the Tundra is considered at the bottom of the full size, half ton pickup class. It seems like most of the information I'm reading says that the current Chevy, Ford, GMC, Dodge and Nissan trucks are better in almost every category than the 2017 Tundra.

I have a GMC, Ford, Nissan and Dodge dealerships here in town. I have to drive 45 miles to get to a Toyota dealership to buy and service the truck. Historically, I haven't minded doing that since I felt it was a better, more reliable truck than my local offerings, but now I'm wondering if that is still true.

One of the big reasons I went with the Tundra is its power and towing capacity and also because of its reliability. It seems most if not all of these other models have surpassed the Tundra in power and towing capacity these days. Also in fuel economy. But what about reliability? My old Chevys broke down quite a bit. I thought that was just normal until I got a Tundra. Have the Ford/Chevy/Dodges of the world caught up to the Tundra in reliability at this point?

It all makes me wonder, does it make sense to keep buying Tundras if they are not the best truck on the road anymore? What are your thoughts on it at this point? Is the Tundra still a good buy or is it time to make a switch to another truck model?

Here's a hint. the domestics havent got more reliable. the tundra still hauls 10,000lbs. the toyota will still be reliable. and their trucks will still get "truck" mileage in real life. 12-16mpg

2014 Tundra Platinum
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
I say buy a GM truck.
I am always looking for someone else to talk to while sitting in the waiting room at the Chevy dealer getting that p.o.s. worked on.
Or if you are not interested in hanging out there, maybe consider the Toyota.
Toyota is in a different category than the big 3.
They don't buy their way into publications like the big 3.
Hands down most reliable truck anywhere.

14 DC 4x4 sr
TRD Pro grill
Bushwacker fender flares
Fuel Trophy wheels / Toyo 285/70/18 mt
Magnum side steps
Fabtech lift 8"
Dirt Logic coilovers and shocks
Toytec shackles
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:

I've owned and been driving a Ford for 12 years and I would never buy another one. I was lucky to have bought one that didn't have crappy heads on the engine but I was one out of a very very small group. I'm curious what source that it is that you're reading that claims that Toyota is at the "Bottom" of this class. I've done a TON of research and I have found NOTHING that makes that claim. Toyota may not offer all of the bleeding edge whiz bang toys that the others do but there's a HUGE reason for that which you have already pointed by your own experience. RELIABILITY!

To answer your question have the rest caught up to Toyota? The answer is no. You'd think that after spending an addition $25k on a truck that the damn thing would run forever? Well good luck with that.

Actively waiting on the funds to buy my first Tundra. Now accepting Paypal funds to help out if you're generous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.