Why buy a Tundra in 2017? - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:06 PM

Thanked 9,697 Times in 5,117 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Being as I am in Mi, most people buy from the "Big 3", but mainly GM and Ford.

3 people have bought new trucks in the last few months.

One f150 EB, 2 gm 5.3's.

The 150 was $48k sticker. The interior is no where near what the Plat that I bought for just a touch more than that. Now, had he gotten a Plat, it would likely be a different story, but then a huge jump in price.

The 5.3's so far are only getting 2 more mpg than I am getting around town.
One guy tows his camper and has said it lacks power. Not a huge camper, only 5300lbs.

All 3 guys had to add a brake controller, and all 3 went with the cheapest one they could, which is likely on par with the oem yota brake controller. It is no Tekonsha Prodigy, but it is still better than nothing, or the cheapest one out there.

When they do the testing, at least in all the reviews I have read, they normally test the 6.2 unicorn engine package in the GM's.

I looked into one when I was first looking at trading my truck. Way too much. Even though I could build it online, dealers said I couldn't get the truck the way I built it online and could only get the 6.2 in the upper echelon of packages, which would have been more than my Plat cost me.

If you liked your current truck, you won't be disappointed with a 17 imo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:14 PM
cmb
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGia View Post
I say buy a GM truck.
I am always looking for someone else to talk to while sitting in the waiting room at the Chevy dealer getting that p.o.s. worked on.
Or if you are not interested in hanging out there, maybe consider the Toyota.
Toyota is in a different category than the big 3.
They don't buy their way into publications like the big 3.
Hands down most reliable truck anywhere.
Well hell,if Toyota got a FREE gift of BILLIONS of Taxpayer's dollars like GM,they could buy their way into Auto Publications too!
The Following User Says Thank You to cmb For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (01-22-2017)
post #18 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Guessing this is brake controller? What's wrong with it?

Edit: Found this:
2016 Brake Controller problems

Hoping they have it fixed in 2017.

Yes, only letting you know because you mentioned towing. Sundance is the biggest defender of it "working" but keep in mind he has a 2014, which isn't even capable of having one.

It wouldn't deter me from buying my Tundra again, just be prepared to disconnect it and put an aftermarket IBC in your truck if you need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Schaffer05 For This Useful Post:
tacog (01-25-2017)

post #19 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb View Post
Well hell,if Toyota got a FREE gift of BILLIONS of Taxpayer's dollars like GM,they could buy their way into Auto Publications too!
Bingo! The government made an ass ton of money off of using Taxpayer dollars too lol. http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...ent-motors-era

There's no way while I am on this planet that I would EVER buy another product from them or anything associated to that Kompany.

Ford didn't go that way but they have been plagued with problems all across the board. For the amount of time they have had in mfg vehicles they can't build something more free of issues then they have a "people problem". Other companies (Toyota!") have been able to do it so why not them? Because the American buyer is willing to forgo quality for flash. The Big3 and others know that Americans are willing to blow this cash on a shiny POS in the weak attempt to out class his neighbor or coworker. Well, that doesn't last too long so they'll buy yet another! So why make a vehicle or anything that will last when they're going to get rid of it right?

Scroll down to the bottom of the reliability chart:

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-r...cars-by-class/

Actively waiting on the funds to buy my first Tundra. Now accepting Paypal funds to help out if you're generous
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pmd1969; 01-22-2017 at 02:48 PM.
post #20 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I too, feel very qualified to talk about 2017's...I just bought one last night.

Jarrett, I had a virtually pain free and stress free experience with my used 2007 DC sr5. Bought it used in December 2009 and 7 years later all that needed fixing was a squeaky serpentine belt and the water pump started to weep. Less than $600 in actual mechanical repairs in 7 years!

Other than regular maintenance and oil changes there were no regular visits to dealerships or auto mechanics.

Also, my 2007 2wd (with a shit load of scratches,) sold for $15,450. A 10 year old truck. I paid $21600 otd in 2009 for it. A little over 6k in depreciation over 7 years?

Thats phenomenal.

Stop and soak that in for a few minutes...

And truly that's what made my mind up about getting another tundra. Believe me, I tested ford's, dodges, Nissan and the chevy Silverado. All are good trucks and feel very modern and "Tech" heavy. By god Ford is moving the game on right now with eco boosts and tech, chevy/gmc is making trucks feel like luxury sedans and not workhorses anymore. Lastly...Dodge. Ram eco diesel. That is a really nice engine and trans, damn it made the tundra feel like I was riding a bucking bronco with the gear changes. Seriously considered it. The ride was so plush and smooth. Storage, use of spaces, cubbies just awesome.

However, I'm an HVAC mechanic and I see enough "new tech" to know more tech = more problems. Guaranteed.
I shared your anxiety about buying something that wasn't top of its class, I know the 2017 Tundra isn't pushing the market forward. I've read and watched countless reviews online about the Tundra falling behind, lacking "tech" and Toyota is lazy. Etc etc.

Well...I can't argue with professional reviewers who sit in the best trucks offered by manufacturers for a day or three, do planned, safe photoshoots and " project" cost of owner ship in shitty long term testing.

Sad fact is, a bulletproof 10yr old power train and mechanicals, with unmatched reliability and eye popping resale values are BORING to read about. Most people want new tech and gadgetry in their lives because we're lead to believe that's what's going to make us feel good, lead better more interesting lives etc.

These professional reviewers need to generate excitement and buzz, Hp, turbos!, tires!, gadgets! To pull in the crowds, create traffic to their site/ channel and keep the production team rolling.

Meanwhile, I'll just roll quietly along in my outdated, bottom of class Toyota and get another one when it's time.
post #21 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd1969 View Post
Bingo! The government made an ass ton of money off of using Taxpayer dollars too lol. http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...ent-motors-era

There's no way while I am on this planet that I would EVER buy another product from them or anything associated to that Kompany.

Ford didn't go that way but they have been plagued with problems all across the board. For the amount of time they have had in mfg vehicles they can't build something more free of issues then they have a "people problem". Other companies (Toyota!") have been able to do it so why not them? Because the American buyer is willing to forgo quality for flash. The Big3 and others know that Americans are willing to blow this cash on a shiny POS in the weak attempt to out class his neighbor or coworker. Well, that doesn't last too long so they'll buy yet another! So why make a vehicle or anything that will last when they're going to get rid of it right?

Scroll down to the bottom of the reliability chart:

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-r...cars-by-class/

Ford did receive money from the gov
post #22 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the share. Toyo Corp stole it in almost all categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flighht2k5 View Post
Ford did receive money from the gov

2014 Tundra 4X4 SR5 CM 5.7L TRD Off Road
Bilstein 5100, CB 3+ Shackles, CB Shims, CB Carrier Drop Kit, SPC LR UCA, Borla Pro XS Catback, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Spyder Headlight, Eagle Eyes Taillight, NFab Light Bar, Firestick II, Xtang Solid Fold, CoverKing Seat Covers, Monster XD 20x9 w/ Nitto Trail Grappler 35/12.50/20, Fuel Crank 18x9 w/ Toyo Open Country A/T 295/70/18, Custom Audio System, JBA LT Header, Iron Cross HD Steps and Retrofit (next on to-do list)
post #23 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
I had a 2001 Tundra and when it got to be over 125K miles in 2011, I looked around and Chevy had their new body style and great discounts, so I bought a Silverado. It developed excessive oil loss due to their Active Fuel Management. Traded it in on a beautiful 2014 Silverado LTZ and quickly bought a tuner to turn off Active Fuel Management. And then the recalls and service bulletins...after 10 trips for all of the repairs and several trips for bad radio reception (which they never fixed), I gave up when they recalled the "trailer hitch platform" and driver seat belts - "the trailer hitch could develop cracks in the welds resulting in losing the trailer's load" and the seat belt could break during certain impacts - huh? Went to TrueCar.com and started searching and within a week had my 2016 Tundra Platinum. Its been to the shop once since March 2016 for an oil change. Not all of the bells and whistles of the Chevy, but those it does have work.

2016 Tundra Platinum CM Silver Sky Metallic

AMP PowerSteps, Extang Solid fold 2.0, Bedrug bed & tailgate mat, Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Salex console organizer, OEM console tray,
ESP rear seat storage, VLEDs cabin/backup/cargo, TRD rear sway bar & shift knob, Aries 3D floor mats, Xpel paint protection & tint
on all windows incl. windshield/sun roof, Driver's side grab handle
Official Platinum Club #36, Silver Sky Tundra club #221, Texas Tundra Group #? (waiting on a number)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChucklesToy For This Useful Post:
nvrgvup444 (01-23-2017), Schaffer05 (01-22-2017)
post #24 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I've got a 16 limited with 61k on it so far. Only thing I've gone in for is oil changes. I considered a 3500 Cummins at the time. But I didn't need it and I didn't want the headache of the emission crap. The tundra has been a great truck and I tow more than a couple times a week. I didn't buy a truck for mpgs and I still don't understand why peoplease care for mpgs when getting a truck. The interiors great for me I'm happy it's got an Ac. It's great truck do your research and see what you like. Because they're all the same in towing maybe a few hundred up or down for the half tons. But only few a of them will last longer than 100k.
post #25 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Simple, never consider another truck over the tundra unless the tundra will not accommodate what you plan to do. If it will tow and haul within your needs, go tundra.
post #26 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a 2016 ford king ranch fully loaded and it's nothing but issues. I'm trading it in tomorrow for my 2017 Tundra crewmax 1794.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Landlord For This Useful Post:
Meltdownblitz (01-29-2017), Powertechn2 (01-23-2017)
post #27 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I traded and got a 16 Colorado diesel. Rattles already and not as comfortable but I get 28 mpg average and my 15 Tundra got 15. Saving $40 a week in fuel running 675 miles a week average but I am still wishing id of just sucked it up and spent the $40 extra a week in fuel for the ride quality and comfort of my 15 Tundra. I am planning on trading back. Don't listen to all those reports. Tundra is clean and not all buttoned out and Reliable. You'll be upset a year later if you go Chev.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crappie man For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-23-2017)
post #28 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 8,447 Times in 4,355 Posts
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2535 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBONTUESDAY View Post
I've got a 16 limited with 61k on it so far. Only thing I've gone in for is oil changes. I considered a 3500 Cummins at the time. But I didn't need it and I didn't want the headache of the emission crap. The tundra has been a great truck and I tow more than a couple times a week. I didn't buy a truck for mpgs and I still don't understand why peoplease care for mpgs when getting a truck. The interiors great for me I'm happy it's got an Ac. It's great truck do your research and see what you like. Because they're all the same in towing maybe a few hundred up or down for the half tons. But only few a of them will last longer than 100k.
Bet you wished it had a key finder....Missed you Bob.

Official Tri-State Member #4
Barcelona Red Tundra Club #10
2007 Silver Tundra SOLD
2011 Black Rock Warrior (lots of goodies installed) SOLD
2014 Barcelona Red Crew Max (All the goodies installed) FOX
I'm mostly post when I drunking
The Following User Says Thank You to Onion For This Useful Post:
BOBONTUESDAY (01-28-2017)
post #29 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Two words: best V8

2016 Tundra SR5 TRD Non-FF
NRA Lifetime Member
*Overland Expo West 2016, Flagstaff, AZ*

"Our threat is from the insidious forces working from within which have already so drastically altered the character of our free institutions — those institutions we proudly called the American way of life." -General Douglas MacArthur, 1952
The Following User Says Thank You to UncleJimmy For This Useful Post:
Onion (01-23-2017)
post #30 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlord View Post
I have a 2016 ford king ranch fully loaded and it's nothing but issues. I'm trading it in tomorrow for my 2017 Tundra crewmax 1794.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappie man View Post
I traded and got a 16 Colorado diesel. Rattles already and not as comfortable but I get 28 mpg average and my 15 Tundra got 15. Saving $40 a week in fuel running 675 miles a week average but I am still wishing id of just sucked it up and spent the $40 extra a week in fuel for the ride quality and comfort of my 15 Tundra. I am planning on trading back. Don't listen to all those reports. Tundra is clean and not all buttoned out and Reliable. You'll be upset a year later if you go Chev.
This is the kind of stuff that reminds me why I bought a Tundra in the first place. Thanks. I'm planning on picking up a 2017 on Saturday if they can get the numbers right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.