Municipal mechanic told me of paint bubbling on nearly new police explorers. - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyball View Post
Everyone went vics when the diplomats were phased out. So some are going back. So what? It is not a huge hit on mfgs. With state contracts prices, they make money but it isn't a huge amount.

If they didn't care they wouldn't make police interceptors at all. They had intended to have the Taurus out when the Vic went out of commission and then had setbacks which caused them not to be able to sell them.

I'm not saying it's going to make or break them, but let's not act like they don't care. It was a simple statement that we are a ford agency that now has mostly dodges because ford screwed the pooch. Most agencies that ran crown Vic's now run chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I had the same problem with my wifes '14 Explorer. The hood bubbled on the under side. Fortunately I was still under bumper to bumper warranty. Ford has been denying claims out of warranty stating that it has to perforate through to be considered for the rust warranty. Ford wanted to just repaint the hood, but I made them put an all new hood on it and repaint that one. There is something going on about iron dust getting onto the aluminum at the factory and causing the issue.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteele View Post
I had the same problem with my wifes '14 Explorer. The hood bubbled on the under side. Fortunately I was still under bumper to bumper warranty. Ford has been denying claims out of warranty stating that it has to perforate through to be considered for the rust warranty. Ford wanted to just repaint the hood, but I made them put an all new hood on it and repaint that one. There is something going on about iron dust getting onto the aluminum at the factory and causing the issue.
gm is going aluminum also for the government rebates available. most dealers in my area are building new body shops or separate body shops to handle the aluminum contamination issues. that said most hoods have been aluminum for years, why now is it an issue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2014 Magnetic Grey Crewmax Platinum, Toytec coilovers up front, Coachbuilder 2+ shackles, Firestone air bags & bilstein 5100 in the rear. 20x9 Raceline Assault with 295/60/20 Toyo ATII, Debadged, Bak Flip VP, Line-x Liner, LED interior/exterior lights, Puddle lights LED mod, Clifford alarm/starter with windows and sunroof control, Grillcraft 3pc black MX grill, tinted windows, custom Magnaflow exhaust. Nfab wheel to wheel step bars. D2S 5000k Morimoto HID retrofit with BHLM, JL Audio clean sweep, Jl 500/1, Jl 300/4, 2-JL10tw3 subs, Jl ZR 650csi components front and rear.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Water based paints?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:14 PM

Thanked 9,665 Times in 5,091 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Everything is water based now. Thanks EPA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Had/gone 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers.
I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I work on a lot of police and fire vehicles on a daily basis. Since the new Police interceptor (Taurus) and interceptor Utility (Explorer) came into the market, I haven't noticed a terrible amount of rusting or bubbling on the vehicles. This is in upstate NY so there's quite a bit of salt thrown around. I can't confirm the hood is aluminum or not, but the roof and rear hatch definitely aren't. I've only come across this in the new F-series. We're just starting to see the '12 model years start to come in for equipment strip outs. Most if any paint bubbling I've noticed have been related to dents and scratches. Most officers I've talked to, especially anyone over 6' and/or 200 lbs say that the Sedan/Utility models are just too small, they hit their heads on the door frames and their guns are jammed into the center consoles. I hear the same complaints about the Chargers as well. The Chevy "Caprice" they brought out for a bit seemed to have a lot of issues with engines. I think they're actually based off the leftover Pontiac G-8's which are Australian made Holdens or Voxhauls. They are pretty quick though.

I'd say the best overall reports I've heard are the Chevy Tahoes. Not optimal for fuel mileage even with the variable displacement models compared to the Ford V6, but lots of room, true 4wd and fit a lot of different emergency equipment (split K9 and prisoner transport etc). The state troopers have a pursuit rated version as well for highway patrol. I prefer them as well because they're easier to upfit in my opinion.
That being said.... the '12 and older models coming in for strip outs are definitely showing a lot of rusting in the fender/rocker panel areas. Even vehicles stored in garages.
The Fords have the price point cornered. I believe the Utility AWD starts at 24k on state contract. The Tahoes are well above 30k. I'm not sure about the Chargers or Durangos. Most agencies will take the Fords just because of budget considerations. The larger departments with the big tax pools usually end up getting the Tahoes.

Radiant Red '14 SR5 TRD DC

Truxedo soft roll up tonneau cover
AVS in channel vent shades
More on the way!

Last edited by Drmzmstpla; 02-09-2017 at 12:47 AM.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I work for a local PD. Ford has always used crappy paint. The old crown vics had horrible paint peeling problems. We called it 'urban camo'. They're fleet vehicles designed to be rode hard and put away wet.

I don't work patrol anymore but I've seen paint peeling off the new explorers too as well as the expeditions. We have a bunch of caprices that don't have paint issues but they suck in every other aspect.

My current ride is a 2002 excursion with 180k miles on it. It's a SWAT vehicle. No clear coat left on it but it blends in well in bad neighborhoods haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.