Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty - found a great dealer to purchase from

45K views 132 replies 49 participants last post by  skrockij89 
#1 · (Edited)
I emailed a total of 43 dealerships IIRC,
My best deal came from the gentlemen below.

Brian Hyman
Finance Manager
Pederson Toyota in Colorado
Bhyman@PedersenToyota.com

Tell him Oliver sent ya! :)

Out of respect to the transaction I will not post pricing. I will say I was getting quotes from $1500-$2800 on a 8yr/100k ....he was priced extremely well on all his plans!

#5 ·
Ya they changed that a while back so you can't buy them across state lines or whatever

Op, did you ask them about that?

#6 ·
So what you're saying is, is that there are dealers out there willing to break the rules and give us a good deal? I wonder when Toyota sees it, do they nullify the warranty and issue refund or let you keep it?

#10 ·
I got mine with the new truck. Less than $800 for 8/75k.

#13 ·
Are the warranties Burrito and Power are talking about the full bumper-to-bumper warranty or extended power train?

#16 ·
Nice, thanks! I didn't see anything about the blind spot and parking sensor systems. It didn't say it was covered, but it wasn't on the list of things not covered either. I would assume it would be covered. Definitely something I may consider before I'm up on time or mileage. I see you waited a bit before buying it, assuming the 14 in your name is for a 2014 one :)

#19 · (Edited)
After searching online and reading where it was a pita to get a refund I let the truck go with the warranty. I got the pamphlet today for the new trucks warranty, started reading through the whole thing.

Turns out it does say that you have to send in the original copy of the warranty form, however there is a number to call. So I called it. I figured it was not able to be transferred once a dealer gets it, only private party sales. I had nothing to lose.

Easy process, gave them the vin, within 2 minutes of my time I have a refund coming back. Not sure how as the last repair bill was $3200 and they had to pay for it.

It is only $100 and some change after processing fees, but it is still a hundy back to me.

This was the most recent thread about the warranty that had a post in the search box. SO I figured I would put this here rather than start a thread just for the refund-ability aspect.

#24 ·
I would be concerned because it appears that's it's a direct violation of Toyotas policy and I wonder if I had a big claim like AIP or a engine grenade if that would fail to get paid

I doubt the selling dealer would go to bat for me if I was halfway around the country

I am thinking about getting an extended warranty but not so sure about this method

Just my .02

#25 ·
In 2013 when I decided to buy a warranty, my local dealership matched the price I was quoted online.

I had the same worries.

#26 · (Edited)
I see what you're saying BB. Last we knew, Toyota's policy was no out-of-state. We don't know if Toyota changed this policy, which allows this dealer to sell to out-of-state customers. So since the precedent set was no out-of-state, we should assume it remains unless explicitly stated that the policy has changed again. So it could have changed...but until we know for sure, we should err on the side of assuming it hasn't changed.

On another Toyota forum I'm on, a guy was very recently posting about getting an extended warranty through a dealer in another state too and there were a lot of people jumping on board.

ATHiker, did you ask the guy/dealership you're dealing with about the Toyota policy to see what they'd say? If not, might be worth sending them an email asking if Toyota changed their policy to allow out-of-state Platinum extended warranty sales. Email so they answer you in email, which you will then have in writing.

#28 ·
Florida has cut this off at the head. The extended warranty Nazis have it price fixed in florida. It's the same price at every dealer and you cannot buy out of state if you live in florida. It's regulated by the insurance commission. They act like they are doing you a favor a dealer told me "it's a good thing, everyone has the same price" Yeah, "FULL F-ME" Price!

I'm sure they wish they could get the same to happen with vehicle prices.

#29 · (Edited)
There seems to be some question as to the differences in the warranties offered by Yota? This certainly puts the brakes on me wanting to buy a warranty from Toyota though. I do not want to be forced to pay anticompetitive marked up prices due to some BS from Yota's financial issues or some lame excuse over regulatory issues either. I bought an extended warranty from my local dealer for my Nav only bc he matched the online price. I was ready to pull the trigger for the online offer.

I say use the online pricing as leverage on the dealer pricing and shop the crap out of other places to buy it. It's all the same in the end and it is your hard earned money.

I might have to buy my Tundra out of state to save on the warranty? Nt sure if there's enough money to be saved but I fly free so I can use that as a cost saver.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...toyota-limits-online-warranties#axzz2WTvJtCRJ

where I found this article no more buying warranties out of state... - Page 5 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Some hope?

So what Jerry said is accurate. Action had a website set up to advertise and sell them "online." That's no longer allowed for out of state warranties. But you can call up and buy one from out of state because that is done via phone and word of mouth, not active advertising with a website online. That article helped clear up the confusion. So basically business as usual for all dealerships except Action.

Found this gem in the same thread.

Just got off the phone with Jerry Johnson - Warranty Manager of Midwest Toyota (800) 530-5789. Purchased 8 yr/125K mile Platinum $0 deductible for both my 2012 Sequoia and 2013 Tundra CrewMax. Both were classified the same as Class T4. $1589 each for the 8yr/125K. He also offered the 8yr/100K @ $1149 or the 7yr/100K @ $759 (I think).

I went for the 125K mileage because I don't know how I'll be using the vehicles 5 to 6 years from now!

Order by phone seems to be the way to go.

I recommend this method.

#30 ·
ATHiker said:
I contacted Brian and asked the question and his response is:

"Being that your truck is within its original factory coverage, there is no issue with offering the Platinum Warranty to out-of-state buyers. It is the valid Toyota manufacturer’s coverage, and will be honored by all Toyota dealers in the U.S. and Canada—but not Puerto Rico or any outlying U.S. territories."

I think I am going with it. Significantly less that local dealer quotes.

#31 ·
what kind of price are you guys seeing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.