Finally the ordeal is over... AKA new truck time... - Page 3 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Thanks for the tire update!

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatAvalon For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 9,697 Times in 5,117 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
Thanks for the tire update!
It might be minuscule, but I try

Tomorrow I will be contacting the Tonneau company. There is no rattling like I had initially thought.

I searched for pics of other tri-fold tonneaus front clamps, and they were the same, and had an angle. Even the Trifecta.

I did notice that the instructions list on some companies cargo rails you can just go straight to the rail. I might just try that, at least at the rear clamps. I might even try attaching to the cleat. Can't hurt to try.

I really did use the rear cleats a lot. I normally left straps attached to them even. Gas cans, etc. I would just use a bitch strap on the upper grab handle on the cans (small 2ft short pull/cinch strap).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #33 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,832 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Garage
I've liked my ko2 so far, no problem getting them balanced , discount tire got them right on and balanced, not seeing a ton of weight either

We'll see how they last though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Tundra Platinum Crewmax 4x4

2013 Ram Sport 4x4, 8-speed, 3.92, 5.7, 4x4, Borla exhaust
2010 LTD Tundra DC, 4x4 RW Wheels 33" Cooper ST Maxx
2001 tundra Access Cab 4x4
2000 tundra Access Cab 4x4
1998 Tacoma extended cab 4x4
1997 Tacoma regular cab 4x4
1995.5 Tacoma regular cab 4x4
The Following User Says Thank You to Breathing Borla For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-02-2017)

post #34 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
OP: Excellent write up as I am of a similar mindset that I love my 2013 RW. And while I see everyone posting pictures and stories about the new '14+ model, I don't think I can find enough reason to want to change it up. Got 80k miles on the truck right now and not a single issue with it, so it has plenty of life left in it. Your commentary helps me justify my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Nootherids For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-03-2017)
post #35 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nootherids View Post
OP: Excellent write up as I am of a similar mindset that I love my 2013 RW. And while I see everyone posting pictures and stories about the new '14+ model, I don't think I can find enough reason to want to change it up. Got 80k miles on the truck right now and not a single issue with it, so it has plenty of life left in it. Your commentary helps me justify my thoughts.

Thanks for reading through.

Until the line up dowel holes were broken off the cam towers, I had no intention at all of swapping up.

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
Nootherids (01-03-2017)
post #36 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So first issue.

Yesterday went out to Bass Pro. Went to leave and it wouldn't allow the Ipod to play. Thought it wasn't connected.

Didn't think anything of it till tonight when I had the same issue. Ipod was dead, and wasn't getting charged.

Tonight after I got back home I figured the cable might have failed. Plugged my phone in and it was charging. Plugged the Ipod back in and it said charging now. Was too dead to work, but lit up that it was charging.

Not sure what gives. Hopefully it doesn't do this again.

Got the Husky X-act fronts today. Look really good. Swapped the drivers out already and pulled the gen 2 Husky out. I like it.

Will mess with the rest tomorrow. Ups did the stealth mode drop and run again, while I was in the house waiting at 7:30 pm. And it is only 7° out.

Last edited by Powertechn2; 01-06-2017 at 02:09 AM.
post #37 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Charging issue seems to be gone with the Ipod. Maybe it was just that it had been cold out and the Ipod batt took a dive from the cold temps and leaving it in the truck.

Found old truck for sale. Was sad. They just waxed it. Don't have all the options right.

Then I got to thinking about the issue.

Broken valve cover to cam tower locator pin bosses, still leaking oil as I can smell it. The leak is not due to the issue, it is pretty much just a cosmetic issue. But oil is still leaking somewhere and burning off.
**** happened, causing the paint to peel off the bumper, needing a re-paint.
The HU freezes sometimes, and the ipod too due to the adapter in place to re-use the oem usb port.
The mysterious hot door locky no worky issue.
The paint missing off the cab from when the Tonneau mysteriously shifted during a 3 week long service. I put black tape over it, lol. I think they found it as withing 24 hours of the truck popping up, it was lowered in price by 1k.
The clunking from the lca bushings.
The headlights fogging inside in the corners from me not letting the tint coat on the reflectors dry fully during bhlm.

And as I drive the new truck the mpg has came up to 12ish, which is about what it should be in 10°.
The ride is so much nicer. Seats are great. Other features are so nice. Ipod works. ALbeit the sound isn't great, but it is clear. Just not loud enough.

That is all I got.

If anyone wants to check the truck out, lemme know. I just mean for shits and giggles. I saved the link.

Odd question.

Does the grill badge/yota emblem still pop off like the 2nd gens? I figured someone would know. I tried to pop it off, but had gloves and it didn't seem to want to pop off, but it was also cold out.

Last edited by Powertechn2; 01-09-2017 at 01:19 AM.
riccnick (01-09-2017)
post #38 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Yes, emblem pops right out. Just did mine a few days ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schaffer05 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-09-2017)
post #39 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 AM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,735 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
I'd leave it alone until it was warm out.
The Following User Says Thank You to volleyball For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-09-2017)
post #40 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
Charging issue seems to be gone with the Ipod. Maybe it was just that it had been cold out and the Ipod batt took a dive from the cold temps and leaving it in the truck.

Found old truck for sale. Was sad. They just waxed it. Don't have all the options right.

Then I got to thinking about the issue.

Broken valve cover to cam tower locator pin bosses, still leaking oil as I can smell it. The leak is not due to the issue, it is pretty much just a cosmetic issue. But oil is still leaking somewhere and burning off.
**** happened, causing the paint to peel off the bumper, needing a re-paint.
The HU freezes sometimes, and the ipod too due to the adapter in place to re-use the oem usb port.
The mysterious hot door locky no worky issue.
The paint missing off the cab from when the Tonneau mysteriously shifted during a 3 week long service. I put black tape over it, lol. I think they found it as withing 24 hours of the truck popping up, it was lowered in price by 1k.
The clunking from the lca bushings.
The headlights fogging inside in the corners from me not letting the tint coat on the reflectors dry fully during bhlm.

And as I drive the new truck the mpg has came up to 12ish, which is about what it should be in 10°.
The ride is so much nicer. Seats are great. Other features are so nice. Ipod works. ALbeit the sound isn't great, but it is clear. Just not loud enough.

That is all I got.

If anyone wants to check the truck out, lemme know. I just mean for shits and giggles. I saved the link.

Odd question.

Does the grill badge/yota emblem still pop off like the 2nd gens? I figured someone would know. I tried to pop it off, but had gloves and it didn't seem to want to pop off, but it was also cold out.
The leather in the platinum is tits isn't it?

clearly a much higher grade than the limited plasticy stuff

super soft, I remember sweers saying it was the same grade that the Lexus LS gets, I believe him now that I have one

you need to change your sig...

Powertechn2 (01-09-2017)
post #41 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yea, I looked at the mirror caps, gotta wait till I can get in the shop and get everything warmed up. Might as well do the same with the emblem. Tabs like to break when cold.

And yes, the leather is nice. It has started to soften up. And at first the seat heaters weren't really getting hot, now they are. The cooler really works great in cold weather though hahaha.

On the sig, I just need a better pic still. I guess I will browse my phone and see if there is anything that will work for a sig pic.

post #42 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So, still dinking with the Tonneau issue.

The mfg said no problem. They also understood I can't ship it out till I get a new cover. I spent a fair amount of money on it and shouldn't have to deal with a bed full of snow while I wait. They said no problem.

The company I dealt with first understood, and the customer service agent said it is not an issue.

Today I get an email saying I have not sent it out and the fed-ex label will expire soon.

I called and they said that there is no one there that would have said it is ok. They are refusing to release the new tonneau, which is coming direct from the MFG again, until the old/defective one makes it to the mfg.

I called the mfg again, and the cust service manager didn't understand why the retailer is having such a hard time with this as they are already approved for credit for the tonneau in question. He said he would contact them again and try to put a little understanding in this situation. He also said it is unacceptable that they want it sent out without a box. I explained if I had to I would, but I absolutely would not be held liable for damages.

It went so bad when I talked to the company today. The lady said I should be able to find a box or shrink wrap it, or just send it out as is even.

This thing is the full width of the top bed rails, by appx 2.5 ft.

That will not end well. The unit will definitely be trash by the time it makes it to them without a package.

Such a headache.

I contacted the retailer back tonight when I got home from work. The guy I chatted with online said there are notes in the system and the return/warranty center closed at 4pm and would email be about it tomorrow with a conclusion.

The lady today who I spoke with on the phone from the retailer said the only way was to sell me another cover, and went as far as saying no one would have stated I could get the new cover first and then send the defective one in a box, which is pretty much calling me a liar. That pissed me off.

I would give a deposit, but I am not paying full retail for another unit just to get my issues corrected when the mfg themselves have no issue with sending me one before they get it back.

post #43 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
You're a better man than me. I would have found a way to ship that POS back and never do business with them again.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schaffer05 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (01-10-2017)
post #44 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Shit like that is infuriating

It's like your sent me a shitty product you freaking fix it so I'm not without a cover

I went through a huge fiasco many many years ago with gemtop with a GT CLASSIC fiberglass tonneau, beautiful cover painted color match super low profile but damn it took 4 covers to get it to me undamaged

Finally I had to drive to the damn freight company and pick it up myself

Powertechn2 (01-10-2017)
post #45 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yea, infuriating is a much better wording that frustrating.

The mfg has been great and very understanding. Just being as it is new I have to go through the retailer. The mfg is in my state of residence. The guy totally understood my issues and not wanting to go without a tonneau in winter, as well as about the box.

I mean, who keeps a box for a week after you opened something? Especially a huge box.

I likely will never do business with the retailer again. This is a solid strike 2.

I was not happy that they said it would ship in 3 days, and it took 3 weeks. I understand that it came direct from the mfg, but they could have told me this up front. Wasn't a deal breaker as it came the same week as I got the truck.

Strike one was the floor mats. I found them at Jegs and Amazon for a great price. I asked if they could match it, and the person who I dealt with said the powers that be will email me in about an hour on it. They never emailed me. After 20 min I just ordered off Amazon as it was a killer price.

Today is definitely a hard strike two. To pretty much call me a liar. Then tell me to just shrink wrap it, or ship it as is... Like everyone has a roll of industrial shrink wrap, and that wouldn't hold up well anyways. Plus after they first said it was not going to be an issue, then it's an issue that I am waiting for the new tonneau to come.

As much as I understand the possibility of a customer trying to keep the first tonneau, it is damaged/defective. I don't want it. I have no need for it, and further more, how the hell would I re-sell it anyways. I am an honest person. And it is not in the shape where anyone would want it.

If this keeps up I am going to deal with the mfg again. Or get my credit card company involved. Hell, it's a 110 mile round trip drive if I go to the mfg and swap it there. I might have to see if that is an option worst case.

nvrgvup444 (01-23-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.