Finally the ordeal is over... AKA new truck time... - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
damn that RW was sweet. any particular reason you decided to trade it in ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyotaa For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:08 PM

Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,326 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
Beautiful truck Power! I have a 16 identical to it but I'm leaving the Plat club today as my new Limited is in and will be ready this evening if I can get off in time. I'm going to miss some of the Plat features but the new rig has the premium options upgrade that will give me some of them back. Too bad they couldn't do anything for me on the seats or I would have kept it. Going to miss the cool headlights.
Didn't you just get a new truck within the last 6 months?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crewmax LTD/RB10/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/5100's/Ride Rites/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
The Following User Says Thank You to theoat For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-20-2016)
post #18 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoat View Post
Didn't you just get a new truck within the last 6 months?
Yep, I upgraded in May and have put 21k on the new Plat just getting her broke in. The Plat seats have an A/C vent in them that once the seat broke in it felt like I was sitting on a bowling ball and could not stand more than 30 minutes at a time driving. Long story short my Dealer has gone way out of the box and ordered me a truck just the way I want it without taking a huge hit as the seat issue cannot be resolved long term and they failed to note the first of the 2 current seat issues as warranty and fixed it as a "Good Will" gesture. SE Toyota got involved and Toyota is making it right.

The Moose is Loose !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bronze Tundra Bliss
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmoose For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-20-2016), theoat (12-20-2016)

post #19 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats. Sweet looking ride.
Plenty of snow to play in.

2008 Grade DC 5.7 4X4 Slate Metallic (1F9)
Tinted windows, Kenwood DNX8120 w/ backup camera,
WeatherTech vents and floor mats, Bedrug,
Leer 100XL cap, N-Fab cab length nerf bars,
Alloy wheels, Michelin LTX A/T2 PT275/65/18
MI Tundra Club #1
TWAC Club Member #76
The Following User Says Thank You to NoKenDo For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-20-2016)
post #20 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanked 10,022 Times in 5,308 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd1969 View Post
What happened at the dealer that caused so many issues? Why didn't you just walk and go somewhere else or use the internet to buy one? I am definitely using the internet method to avoid all contact with salespeople and manager BS.
It wasn't an issue with getting this truck, it was on the RW. The new truck wasn't final prepped when I got there, but mechanically everything else was done. I did come in earlier than I had stated, but was told it would be pdi'd Sat or first thing Monday. No biggie really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotaa View Post
damn that RW was sweet. any particular reason you decided to trade it in ?
There was a mishap while resealing the timing cover. 2 locator pin bosses were broken during the repair.
They were still sealed, but it was the point. They said they would fix it right and replace everything, but I didn't really want to go that route so I opted for the new truck at a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKenDo View Post
Congrats. Sweet looking ride.
Plenty of snow to play in.
Thanks. Yea, plenty of it, tried out the new tires in 8-10" of virgin snow, worked great

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
Looking forward to seeing pics of the tires
DT was pissing me off today. Called and they said 2 hours out, so they put me on the list. I said I would come up in an hour to shave off the first hour, guy said ok.
Well, after sitting there for over 2 hours I asked what was up. Someone checked off that my truck was done, when it wasn't. So half hour later finally pulled it in.

Then 20-30 min later guy came up and said that I have 20's, I'm like umm, yea, so... Then he says they have 17" tires... I was about to flip my shit. After 5-10 tense minutes where I was trying not to go hulk on em, they found the correct tires. Guess they had 2 sets of Exo grapps. Other guy had same first name, and similar last name.

So, 3.5-4 hour ordeal to get tires.

They do look wayyy better though, and rides better. Slightly less choppy and bumpy too.

IMAG2253.jpg

IMAG2254.jpg

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
Newm (12-20-2016), theoat (12-20-2016), UNTMatt (12-22-2016)
post #21 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Got tint done today, and the tonneau came in too. Line-x scheduled for next Tues.

It was funny, I called several tint places and they were all booked. So I checked with the company who will be installing my remote start and they quoted me $235 for nano-ceramic on the doors and a windshield strip.

I was going to just get it done with the RS. But for some reason I called a place by my work, they asked how quick I could get there.

Took about 45 min, looks great. AND it turns out they are the company who does it for the car audio shop... Saved $45 bucks.

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
post #22 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Today I was able to get into the shop after everyone left and make a huge smelly mess with the Fluid Film.

Damn, all these years I was definitely doing it wrong using spray cans. The gallon stuff is wayy wayyy more efficient. Filled 2 bottles, and had 1/4 or so of each left. Way cheaper than the 6-8 spray cans and finger isn't all cramped for 2 days after.

I didn't do everything in the front as far as the suspension components, figured I will wait till I swap suspension in a few weeks and avoid making myself all messy.

Didn't get off to a great start, so I don't have any pics of applying it. There must have been a bunch of douche canoes who thought they were drunken floating instead of driving. Huge accident. Took 15-20 minutes to go the last 3 miles to the shop.

I did get some pics of it looking all purdy up in the air, and on the ground showing the tint and tires a little better.

#Douchecanoecontest

And yes, I am removing the mini tie-down strap that for some reason when I am not working some douche canoe insists on putting on the lower lever on the lift. I don't get it. Puts it on so tight that the lever has actually started to bend.

It takes only slight pressure to hold the lever in, a rubber band would do, would still be unsafe, but if osha came in and saw that strap tight like that they would flip. AND if something happened and you need to stop lowering the lift, you would have a hard time unclasping it in a hurry as you can't just flip it off or pull up on the lever due to how tight it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2270.jpg (202.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2188.jpg (184.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2189.jpg (171.8 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2269.jpg (199.3 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Powertechn2; 12-22-2016 at 10:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
fka MBD (12-23-2016)
post #23 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
Today I was able to get into the shop after everyone left and make a huge smelly mess with the Fluid Film.
Truck looks good man. I have been toying around with the idea of going to look at another one but then I see my truck all cleaned up and that goes away. How are you liking the EXOs? I still love mine. Not much snow here most of the time but they are awesome on the beach.

Previous: 2012 DBL CAB SR5 Black

Current: 2015 DBL CAB SR5 Blue Ribbon Metallic
Tint, Top setting Bilstein 5100, 285/70R18 Exo Grappler
* Work In Progress*
The Following User Says Thank You to DelawareTundra For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-23-2016)
post #24 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:31 PM

Looks like you're running a "Chop Shop" for snow blowers....

Crewmax LTD/RB10/BHLM/LAHM/Husky Classic Liners/Line-x/5100's/Ride Rites/Coachbuilder +2 Shackles/285/60/20 Duratracs
Powertechn2 (12-23-2016)
post #25 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelawareTundra View Post
Truck looks good man. I have been toying around with the idea of going to look at another one but then I see my truck all cleaned up and that goes away. How are you liking the EXOs? I still love mine. Not much snow here most of the time but they are awesome on the beach.
Well, like I have said, I really really liked the RW. When they did the update I didn't like the trucks front end. Period.

The front end has grown on me, and the parts I see while driving are super nice. Love the interior. Love having the heated seats, especially when it was 7° out.

The tires are good so far. They balanced with less weight than the ko's did, and the ko2's. Slight hum at speed, which isn't that bad. About as much as the KO2's. Hard to really say as the Plat is so much quieter inside than my RW.

I matted everything I could other than the floor and the roof on that truck and it made a huge difference, but this truck is still quieter.

The tires do far better than the stockers did in the snow and ice so far. Seem to be about what the KO2's were. Still breaking them in though.

Quote:
Looks like you're running a "Chop Shop" for snow blowers....
Lol, that is only about 8-10% of what is actually in the shop hahaha. It used to be such a pita trying to do plow installs as the snow shit would overrun into the truck bay. Finally we started putting the plow undercarriages and the electrical kits on pallets to draw a line. I even had to take red paint and make a line.

So, some feedback after a few days. Might want to grab a drink...

The lights kinda really suck. I dunno if it is because I had hid's or what, but they suck on low beams. Just seem too low. The bulbs don't have a lot of output either. Not sure if I want to try the led swap or just wait and do a retrofit.

Leaning toward retrofit, but can't really go without lights as it is my DD. Also I am not sure if I would want them black or color matched. Kinda think black if I go pro grill, but everyone is going pro grill, so maybe I will take apart my grill and either color match it or go black high gloss. Undetermined at this time.

The radio... Well, it is ok at like 47. By that time you have to turn the bass down or it sounds like shit. Too much bass in the doors. If you turn the bass down, then when you turn the radio down because the jam is over, then you have to turn it back up for lower volume levels.

The column moving is irritating. Read through most of the manuals in the thinking room and seems it has to be turned off through techstream. Which is funny because you can record maintenance records and all sorts of other useless shit through the radio, but can't turn the column off. Unless I missed that somewhere.

The exhaust is breaking in, as well as the engine and sound, peppiness, and mpg are getting better.

I think the dealer shorted me on fuel or didn't refill it as I am at 110 miles and almost used half a tank. The first 1/4 was gone in 50... Think it spent a lot of time idling as the truck said 2mpg when I got in it and it had 4 miles. Mpg now says 9.6, and it keeps going up.

Didn't know the entire rear bumper is plastic except the part under what is under the plate.
Glad I have my don't ass pack me hitch.

Steering is well improved, but has an artificial feel to it, which I am getting used to. Also seems to have a tighter turning radius.

Braking is improved. My brakes never seemed up to par after the dealership incorrectly torqued the drivers wheel bearing/hub nut and the wheel was basically being held on by the caliper. Got home after picking it up that day on the RW and went to swap wheels and you could jiggle the wheel around.

Seems the trans shift logic is also very improved. Don't have the super short shifts to second while turning from a stop, also doesn't drop into first like you are trying to race when you slow almost to a stop then accelerate slowly.

On the quietness. The RW always had rattles in the front bumper when hitting bumps. This truck, even though it seems everything in the front is plastic too, doesn't sound like a rattle trap.

While filming the truck I noticed it seems like the frame has been updated in a few areas. More cross members, and also the frame coating/paint seems superior. It is a glossy black now vs the flatter looking on the 2010. I fluid filmed everything anyways, even used the extension tube to get into the crannies and holes and what not.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but honestly I didn't really want a new truck so I may over-analyze things for a while and ramble.

I am actually loving the truck. I have to remember that even though my RW had a budget audio system, it was actually a very high budget. If I could just slap one of my 3 sets of subs in there and take the bass out of the doors, add a knob, I would probably be happy for a while.

The rear seat is still odd to me. I guess because it flips but there isn't anything to hold the groceries in place. Previously I would just toss everything on the seat or floor, but don't want to do that to the leather.

Thinking about the underseat storage thingie. Wish they had one with the center compartment with a hinged lid, then the sides open. I only need one closed compartment.

Guess that is it for now. Again, I apologize for the lengthy tldr type of post.

For those that read the whole think, hope you had a drink. Or two.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
BigTexTundra (12-24-2016), GreatAvalon (12-23-2016), riccnick (12-24-2016), theoat (12-24-2016)
post #26 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 08:16 AM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,299 Times in 2,223 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
nice man congrats and you will miss the RW

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
Front tint(removed its illegal now in NYS)*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*LowPro Rollup Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SP For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-23-2016), theoat (12-24-2016)
post #27 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,876 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Garage
Ya spot on about the stereo it totally sucks and has no power, same as the headlights

2016 Tundra Platinum Crewmax 4x4

2013 Ram Sport 4x4, 8-speed, 3.92, 5.7, 4x4, Borla exhaust
2010 LTD Tundra DC, 4x4 RW Wheels 33" Cooper ST Maxx
2001 tundra Access Cab 4x4
2000 tundra Access Cab 4x4
1998 Tacoma extended cab 4x4
1997 Tacoma regular cab 4x4
1995.5 Tacoma regular cab 4x4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breathing Borla For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-23-2016), theoat (12-24-2016)
post #28 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:57 AM

Exterior wise I really like the new truck over the old. (I don't think I could own a black vehicle because the detailing would drive me crazy.)

Like you said, lot's of people are doing the Pro grille. I'd keep that one if I were you....it looks classy as is.

Black housing headlights would probably look better, but you could see if they update them in 2018 and hope for a plug & play solution.
Other than that I think I would change the steps to something like the RB10's and maybe color match the mirror caps and door handles if at all, but then the grille might look alone leaving it as is.

When's the Rancho going in?

Powertechn2 (12-24-2016)
post #29 of 96 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Exterior wise I really like the new truck over the old. (I don't think I could own a black vehicle because the detailing would drive me crazy.)

Like you said, lot's of people are doing the Pro grille. I'd keep that one if I were you....it looks classy as is.

Black housing headlights would probably look better, but you could see if they update them in 2018 and hope for a plug & play solution.
Other than that I think I would change the steps to something like the RB10's and maybe color match the mirror caps and door handles if at all, but then the grille might look alone leaving it as is.

When's the Rancho going in?
I was thinking the same thing about the 2018 headlights.

I will keep the SS steps. I ordered it with them as the previous SS steps held up great. On the RW I had thought about pc'ing them, but just never did. When the summer wheels are on the machining in the wheels and the steps look good together.

Regular steps here go to hell in a short time. Even some of the higher end steps like Westin and other companies that are pc'd still end up rusting. I get trucks in all the time that they have literally rusted from the inside out.

Rancho swap will happen sometime in Jan. I don't really feel like spending what will likely be near a whole day at the shop while on vacation. Last time I went in other techs were bitching about having to work overtime while I was on vacation for 3 weeks lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
theoat (12-24-2016)
post #30 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So, all I have to update is a word on the tires.

EDIT: Longer than I had expected, grab a drink.

The Exo Grapplers are sorta loud. I won't say really bad, all considering the type of tire. Maybe a little louder than the KO2's. Upside is they balanced great with wayyyyy less weight.

Both the KO's from the factory, and the KO2's needed a lot of weight to get balanced.

One of the KO2's had 13.5 oz of weight, double stacked, which on the RW 17's was going to hit the brake caliper. They had to swap that tire last year when I said hell no to that. They actually had to re-balance all of them as they double stacked weights on more than one. They couldn't get the super heavy balanced tire to be happy.

The Exo's have less than half of the weight to balance. They don't vibrate like the KO2's did. Even my original KO's had a lot of weight both from the factory, and also after replacing the wheels under warranty. Even then one of the original KO's had a vibe, and the KO2's, also had a vibe. Certain speeds the bed would lightly vibrate even.

The noise isn't bad. Slight hum. Not at all like the Grabbers I have for summer.

Rocks.

In comparison, these tires simply do not chuck rocks at all like the KO/KO2's did.

The dirt roads are no longer frozen as it has been warmer lately than normal, all the snow is gone except shady areas or plow piles. Dirt roads had been graded/plowed, and there are a lot of patches with loose gravel.

With the previous tires in these conditions, even at 15 mph, I would get rocks tossing up, both while running over the loose areas, but a lot more after I hit the main road. I don't have this issue now.

Tonight I had one rock fling up underneath while on the loose section, not as loud, or as hard. And only one in a 1-1.5 mile stretch is pretty good. I was actually going between 20 and 40. Speed limit here on dirt roads is 55 unless posted.

On the way back home, same road, nothing. Hit the pavement where speed is 45-50, and nothing. With the KO/KO2's, especially considering the last 50 yards is all loose before the turn to pavement, I would have had at least a dozen rocks chucking up. It was bad before, I would only do 20-30 until I heard the rocks let loose, which would take 1/4 to half mile.

A few days ago I did the same route, got on the highway. Previously I thought I had to be causing chips in peoples windows as once you started to go above 55 it was like I threw out a hand full of slingshot shot under the front tires. I heard nothing.

I hated getting on that specific on-ramp as you are merging into the fast lane/left most lane, so you can't just puss foot it till the rocks clear. You have to get up to 75 in a hurry.

I have gotten on the highway from that route twice now, same thing. The little rock expellers seem to do their job very well. Makes the light noise worth it imo.

With the stockers for the day I had them, I went the same route, and I had more rocks come up.

I know a lot of people are probably thinking wtf, you are posting about tires tossing rocks on dirt roads.

My FJ I had put the KO's on. In the first time up north with my trailer I blew out all the side marker lights and the front was chipped to hell. When I traded it in the plastic lower cladding/trim was literally like a cheese grater. If I washed it I would have to go back through and pick out the fuzzies from the mit. I started using 2 mitts, one a fuzzy, and one that was a bug type sponge with a plastic netting around it. That sponge had a short life too.

SO I am happy that they chuck less rocks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
GreatAvalon (01-02-2017), theoat (01-02-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.