Aftermarket Anti Rust Spray for Undercarriage - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Aftermarket Anti Rust Spray for Undercarriage

Is there any aftermarket spray to put on the undercarriage hardware to stop or slow down rusting? Had lots of probs on my admittedly old Jimmy (17yrs!) that had brake lines rust thru/shock nuts etc that wouldn't budge. Not looking for a tar undercoat spray. must be somethin' out there.

thanks

Mark

Dazed and -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:41 AM

More info than you asked for...

3M Rust Fighter 1 part number 08892 works well for this stuff. It is sold as an internal body panel protection wax, but I have found it works quite well anywhere. It goes on thin and quite viscous, so it can penetrate deep, but goos up thick and stays in place after the volatiles evaporate out. However on hot days when parked in the sun, it gets slightly viscous again and will flow a little... so it can recover and reseal. Also has little to no odor once applied and dry.

A good price for it these days is $13 - $14 for the 18 3/4 oz aerosol cans... Buy 3 or 4 cans, put on some old cloths/safety glasses/maybe a dust mask and go nuts. Inside the frame, all hardware, pop the plugs on the body panels and fog it in there... any seam you can find on or under the truck. Remember, if Toyotas didn't rust away, they all still be driving around.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
Rust Update

Thanks for the tip. Will definately check it out. Sounds like cosmolene.
My camry goes in the shop next week for ...... rust! this sounds like just the thing to prevent rust from starting...my old GMC coulda used it.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:25 PM

I too had my Ford Crown Vic rust proofed for 17 years and the stuff I used was great. The car looked great.I don't know if you can get it done in the U.S. but in Canada I went to a Rust Check dealer. Another good company is Krown Rust.They spray every nick and cranny of the vehicle, doors, hood,under carriage etc. The local Fire department has all their cars and trucks sprayed at Krown Rust and Rust Check.

I have to say this though, Toyota will frown on "any" after market products like rust proofing. They use an example of a faulty power window motor a Toyota customer brings in for "warranty" repair. On inspection their mechanic finds the power window motor saturated with rust proofing oil that caused the fault. Instead of making the customer pay for the faulty motor, they opt instead to void the warranty...which sucks and is a bit extreme.

The Krown Rust dealer I spoke to about Toyota's example, said that if Toyota voided the warranty on my Tundra because of an over-sprayed power window motor, they would first replace the motor at not cost to me and take Toyota to court because they stand behind their product.

Before you get any rust-proofing done, make sure you deal with a reputable company that has a quality product and been around for a few years.Toyota prefers you to take your Tundra to them for rust proofing (and everything else!) instead of going elsewhere.That's what it's all about. Been there.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 PM

It pretty much is a modern cosmoline.

Another good internal only product is Boesheild. Boeing developed it for the internal coating of airplanes... it is dielectric so no electronics issues for Toyota to complain about.

Rust Prevention Rust Protection Metal Penetrating Lubrication Anti Corrosives Multi Purpose Metal Protection BOESHIELD T-9
#6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM

Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,593 Posts
Thanks for the info. I suppose to have an undecoat which is only on the frame and wheel wells. This was supposedly TOYOGUARD.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
#7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 AM

Yeah Boeshield! T-9 is good stuff. Friendly to plastics, waxy,light residue, stands-up to salt. I use it on guns, bicycles, kayak rudders, household stuff. I buy it at West Marine, bike shops. Gun shops sell aerosol cosmoline-like stuff that stays tacky and will buildup with time.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 AM

Some time ago I read on this forum about the rusting bumpers and guys were using Amsoil Metal Protectant. I ordered a few cans and I like it. I've been spraying it underneath in certain areas. I usually use it around the 2" receiver area and springs, etc. It's very oily but drys to a waxy haze. Water beads up on it. Amsoil calls it a metal protectant but also sells it as a motorcycle chain lube. It seems to stay on for quite some time too. Paid about $7.00 a can. Still on the first can.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:02 PM

It sounds quite like the 3M product, but at half the price and only 2 3/4 oz less (16 vs 18 3/4 oz), it appears to be much better deal! Thanks for sharing.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 AM

(Thread Starter)
Where do you guys buy this stuff? checked auto parts stores in the MA area and turned up nothing. Saw Amsoil on Ebay and thats about it.
#11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:53 AM

My local Napa has the 3M stuff, but they charge over $22! for a can of it... simply outrageous. I like to buy local but c'mon. You may want to try some auto body supply shops... there are plenty up here in Massachusetts. As for Amsoil, there are thousands of guys selling the stuff. It shouldn't be too difficult to track down a reseller in your area. The other option is to order it on line... The best price seems to be at Auto Body Supply, Inc

I'm sure if you google Amsoil a million pages will pop up, any dealer can sell it.

Actually, if you are not in a hurry, this post reminds me that I need to reorder some of this stuff. I'll pick up a can of the Amsoil and compare it to the 3M to see how close it is. I know the 3M stuff is very durable.
#12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Go to AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases and you can order from their website. They will assign you a local dealer who will fill your order. Only took a few days to receive. I cannot find Amsoil anywhere other than online. I really like the metal protectant and it is very economical. I have also applied it to the underside of my travel trailer. Great product!
#13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM

(Thread Starter)
Travel trailer...now that's the ticket...need some there too.

will check out the skinny on the net. and will wait for 3M update vs. Amsoil.

thanks all.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion