Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Most scratch resistant (or hiding) paint

6K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  berettafan 
#1 ·
Looking at a new CM Limited and struggling to decide between white or silver. Currently have a black chevy that shows every damn scratch and swirl mark so i'd like to enjoy a vehicle that isn't so prone to showing these things.

I like the grey as well but prior to the black chevy i had a phantom grey '06 Tundra DC. Beautiful color but i'd like something different i think. Unless you guys tell me the current grey hides scratches and nicks well.

i like the white with blacked out chrome look but wonder how silver would look with the same treatment.

Any input on interior color would be helpful too! i think i'm not going to have a lot of choice as i'm trying to find one with no sunroof.

#5 ·
Silver for sure. I have had black, grey, silver, white, maroon, green, and red vehicles and silver by far is my favorite color for hiding dirt and scratches and all. Black is the worst, but the dark greys while my favorite color are harder to keep clean and almost as bad as black. Glass vs metallic makes a difference also. Gloss black is even worst than a black that has metallic flakes in it.

#7 ·
One more vote for silver. Don't post much but had to reply as I have regretted not going with silver. Think the tundra looks great in silver. I have had my white 2015 CM for 2 years now, decromed except for the bumper ends. Previous trucks were a silver ford, black chevy and white ford before that, silver was the most forgiving for showing wear and especially dirt. Whatever color you end up choosing, with new at least you will get the larger fuel tank!

#8 ·
I refuse to drive a silver vehicle but I do drive a white one and from 10' it can have a 1/4" layer of mud on it and you can't see it if it is uniform.

#10 ·
I thought it was Ric Har Dab-e LIke Ric Hard dabbe. Like Rick liked to hit the dabs hard.

Reactions: Johnny 5
#11 ·
Another vote for silver. My Tundra Platinum is the first silver truck/car I've owned and really like it. Didn't wash it for a a few weeks and didn't notice it was dirty/dusty until I brushed my hand over it. Cleary better than previous burgundy, gray, red, navy blue and black. The worst was black and I have never owned a white one. Because of all of the painted frontal area of the Platinum and the monstrous bugs in Texas, I had XPEL Paint Protection installed on the front bumper, hood budge and grill surround.

#13 ·
I had a 2003 first generation in Silver Sky for 10 years--it looked nearly as good the day I traded it in (on a black X5) as the day I took it home. After 2.5 years with a black vehicle, dealing with the constant visible dirt and scratches, I went back to Silver Sky for my 2016 SR5, and don't regret it a bit.

#14 ·
Did I mention Silver Sky?

Reactions: ACDan
#17 ·
I have to admit; I wanted white, but wifey convinced me to get Silver Sky.

#18 ·
might b late but i traded in my silver car for a white tundra. on my silver car, at night, swirl marks were just as noticeable as a black car with swirls during the day (when the silver car was under a street light or something, thats when it was really noticeable) my white truck doesnt hide dirt as well, but it hides scratches better

#20 ·
I agree with the majority above. Silver, is the easiest to clean and keep scratch free.

On the Tundra, Silver comes with the Clear Coat on top that makes it a bit more durable than the White which does not have Clear Coat (the one I own). The Tundra white will scratch easier than the Silver, but it does not show the scratches too bad (but they are there). The Tundra White will also stain from either wet red clay sand or oil fields and tar, unless you are fastidious at cleaning.

#21 ·
I disagree with most everyone here. I have owned mostly white vehicles and also had a silver 2011 Tacoma I bought new and I have a 2011 Corolla which is silver. Both are great colors but white hides scratches and defects better than anything by a long shot. If you get a scratch in the gray you are usually down to a lighter colored primer depending how deep the scratch, which sticks out. White looks white with chips, scratches, road tar, road scum, and unless you look real close it hides defects better than any other color. Most of the people responding here are those who love silver. Oh well they are both good but white is better. My 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.