Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Updated Tundra coming in 2018

205K views 1K replies 197 participants last post by  tundrav8yamaha 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Projector headlights, upgraded MPG's, rear seat crew max storage, all sounds like a good start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
#5 ·
There's one in every crowd lol

Just passing along info, Tim is pretty plugged into things and just sold a personal truck to sweers so who knows maybe he got some good info this time

Doesn't matter for me for a few more years I just got this one and am modding it

#6 ·
It's about time!! My '07 is getting old and tired.
I had basically decided that if nothing was released at Chicago I was going to get a new Chevy next summer.

#9 ·
Figures, I order a new truck, and they will likely change things.

Had originally planned on swapping late 2017 for a 2018, but just didn't work out that way.

I will let other people be the guinea pig on the "updates".

#10 ·
I don't think any of the changes mentioned are a surprise.
I'm still happy with my 2010 and hasn't given me any issues to date, though I'm somewhat wanting a new project.... :D

Hopefully they increase payload among other items.

#16 ·
Sorry bill no roll up windows on the 2018 improvement list>:D

#17 ·
Do they have the "Work Truck" package anymore? Even that had electric windows and power locks, just no keyless entry...I saw that and was like wow that saved like $5 in the manufacturing process LOL. When they had that a couple years ago I wanted to swap floors LOL. I like the vinyl option and for a truck makes far more sense than carpet.

I just wish they'd do a true 3/4 or better yet a 1 ton, it would get a lot of attention. I'd rather see that than Toyota wasting time on a 1/2 ton diesel.

People think I'm funny with all the manual stuff...yet when someone's power locks or windows stop working you all bitch whine and moan about it. Shit, I've never had a manual window stop working...other than breaking the glass itself. I've never had manual locks fail either. The electric stuff is nothing more than luxury items, and when it breaks its just more $$$$ to fix :(.

I wish they'd make a true work truck rather something more like a fleet vehicle which would be more basic. I've found over the years there's a lot of stuff I don't use LOL.

I was wondering about fuel economy increases a while back and was thinking that given some large trucks had and some still have a 2 speed rear axle. Why couldn't something like that be used in the tundra's rear differential to give 2 different gear ratios? Say keep the 4.30 for towing, but have a switch or something to switch to say a 3.73 for cruising around empty? I guess that would take quite a bit of work to get something like that to work but I bet it would boost fuel economy being able to select a different gear ratio when you aren't pulling anything. I sent something like this to Toyota a while back, probably never hear anything about it but it would be cool to see something implemented like that to help boost fuel economy but still give a good tow ratio.

#18 ·
I have a 2016 Platinum and I absolutely love it. I may be wrong, but I consider it and the 1794 their top of the line offerings. That being said, it would be nice to have rear ac controls, vented seats that actually blow, rear storage, auto folding mirrors when alarm is set, a decent stereo system, touch screen monitor, TPMS that show which tire is low-keeps from having to check all of them, led/hid headlights and maybe a power plug or two in the bed. Sure, most if not all of these, are for convenience, but a lot of these "wants" are standard on other makers entry/mid tier trucks. If you're paying a premium, then you should get a premium product.
I'm sure I'll hear from those that say, well, your build is more like a car or an SUV, not a pick-up, and that would be fair. However the others are offering the same if not more and not everyone that buys a pickup uses it on a daily basis as a "work" truck.

#20 ·
Many buying trucks now aren't using them as a truck they are using them as a family car and they whine, bitch, and moan about everything that makes a truck a truck, now car makers are building trucks to fit the soccer mom grocery hauler crowd rather than building a truck for its intended purpose...so in theory if you want a luxury car buy one don't buy a truck expecting such LOL. But hey people are dumb enough to pay $60k+ for a truck with heated/cooled seats, heated/cooled steering wheel, etc....so what are automakers going to do? They're gonna build where the money is, nevermind what use for the vehicle should be.

I've had a couple vehicles with "leather" seats and they fall apart definitely something I wouldn't want LOL.

My 08 has rear under seat storage, it was an option but its there, and I didn't pay for it, I think someone actually ordered my truck and never bought it so I got a few add-ons LOL. Also have the bed rail system with the adjustable tie-down cleats on the bed rails...not sure I'd trust them to hold much though they don't seem to be very well made.

Many features in today's vehicles regardless of brand, are wants. Do you need a touch screen stereo, absolutely not, and in many cases its more of a pain in the first place...especially in hot or cold weather when the touch screen decides not to work LOL.

#27 · (Edited)
I'd like to see them open up the ordering options to allow a CrewMax cab with a 6.5' bed.

Push button start and LED/HID headlights would be an improvement to the tech. A refresh to the JBL system wouldn't hurt anyone either. Toyota always feels 5 years behind GM/Ford on creature comfort tech.

Whatever Toyota does with the engine and transmission I'm sure will be fine, they've always built bulletproof drivetrains.

#28 ·
Whatever Toyota does with the engine and transmission I'm sure will be fine, they've always built bulletproof drivetrains.
agreed, as long as it has 8 large cylinders>:D

#30 ·
Well i'm happy with my first pickup in the 2016 in April. Would have been nice to have the roll up/down rear glass like the land cruiser/4runner. Since moving from a townhouse to single family house, a truck was more practical than a 4 door German sedan. I'd rather do things myself and teach my son that you need to work hard outside in 100 degrees or make good grades and work indoors. So far:

-loaded 1 yard/2000 lbs of topsoil/compost for the lawn a few weeks ago
-loaded 1 yard of mulch for shrubs, trees, beds in front of house
- two loads of birch and oak firewood ( love my new fiskar x27 axe i got to split them)
-brought home an elliptical with no problems
-tailgate for football games
-haul 2x4, 2x8x16 to build a patio 4x4 landing/steps

things i want to do:
-take it on a roadtrip camping in it
-go hunting

#31 ·
Well i'm happy with my first pickup in the 2016 in April. Would have been nice to have the roll up/down rear glass like the land cruiser/4runner.
The Crewmax has the glass. The DC doesn't I believe because the way the cab is shaped doesn't allow the glass to drop.

I'd like to see them open up the ordering options to allow a CrewMax cab with a 6.5' bed.

Push button start and LED/HID headlights would be an improvement to the tech. A refresh to the JBL system wouldn't hurt anyone either. Toyota always feels 5 years behind GM/Ford on creature comfort tech.

I don't see them offering order options. They are conservative and save money are efficient by streamlining production. They seem to slash options if anything.

Why even offer a 5'6" crewmax bed. Streamline it to 6'6" when/if they increase the payload to allow this to happen without having to drop the current payload to 800 LBS :D

Functionally, many people buy a Crewmax because they have kids.
Having kids in carseats doesn't allow reasonable access to aftermarket storage under the new lift up seats in the rear.
If they don't bring back reclining seats, they should at least lift the seats up on legs so you can toss emergency items under there (ie. jumper cables, rope, gloves, tow straps, etc).

I would think this would be the cheapest and most common sense alternative. :dunno:

#32 ·
It wouldn't surprise me if they did offer a CM with a longer bed because of the new "footprint" rules for fuel mileage. The bigger the footprint, the more gas a vehicle is allowed to use. They could easily make a CM with a 7' bed that would match up to the existing DCLB frame.

#33 ·
That would be a long truck, but if that came in a 6-seater I would seriously have to consider it.
Good thing my current truck doesn't have my wife's name on the title.

I could come home after work with a new truck and be like :readit::eek:hyeah::lol: and all she could do is :whine::nunu:

#34 ·
#36 · (Edited)
I'd like to see the black color of all the interior door panels match...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#39 ·
Another one is in my platinum the radio sides looked machined and underneath it looks painted, looks stupid

And that blacks around the radio don't match

#44 ·
#45 ·
Hope they keep the adjustable headlamps! Best feature IMO

Use this feature all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.