Let my dealership "wash" my truck - Page 4 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDuzzit View Post
Okay, I'm red in the face.

I took the truck to my local paint shop and the owner came out, looked, ran back in for some "general purpose cleaner" and proceeded to wipe my "scratches" away!!

He said it was probably a petroleum substance that got on during shipping.

Phew!

Thanks for the help,

Ian
Ah! I bet it was left over residue from the white plastic they put on panels. On some vehicles, I've had to go around the whole thing getting left over bits of "goo" adhesive off from it. Weird yours is squiggly, but I'd bet thats what it was.

Don't you feel better about it now!!! Enjoy the new truck man!

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatAvalon For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (01-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
This is one the reasons I buy lightly used vehicles only. All those little scratches, dings, swirl marks, or whatever that seem to mysteriously appear in the first year are already there, and I never have to worry about when I'm going to get the first one. I still take good care of my trucks, but my sanity is vastly improved as well!
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke the Dog View Post
This is one the reasons I buy lightly used vehicles only. All those little scratches, dings, swirl marks, or whatever that seem to mysteriously appear in the first year are already there, and I never have to worry about when I'm going to get the first one. I still take good care of my trucks, but my sanity is vastly improved as well!
Try finding a slightly used Tundra .....

post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Rod View Post
It isn't extremely hard. I found a 2014 with 17k miles at the end of July 2016 and was excited about that. Since then I have seen a few with 5-15k miles. But the more picky you are on packages and such the harder it gets. And you must be willing to drive a few hours depending on your area.

I never get a "free wash" anywhere. Even when buying a new or used vehicle I opt out of the "free full detail" for purchase. I had one new truck they did and it had so much tire shine that it sat an hour and a half finishing paper work. Then I drove home 2 hours, and the whole side of the truck had tire shine slung all over it. Up to the windows it was so bad. Not to mention scratches and swirls they add from the brush that is used one who knows how many cars per day with out being cleaned. And later on the ground in sure.

2014 Tundra 17.7k miles 07/29/16
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:24 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Rod View Post
Bought a 2013 SR5 in 2014 with 5k on it from a Hyundai Dealership. It was like the find of the century.

2013 Tundra Doublecab SR5 5.7 4x4
Nestah Custom Firestick II, NFAB Sidesteps, Husky X-Act, BAMuffler SS w/Slashcut Tailpipe, 275/70/R18 Terra-Tracs, SABM.
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDuzzit View Post
Hey guys-

I am the proud new owner of a 2017 SR5 TRD Barcelona red 4x4. We bought it 9 days ago, and after reading all of the great washing and detailing info on this site, I ordered stuff to do it right.

It was raining on and off the day we made the purchase. I don't think they washed the truck that day, but it had been on a few lots, so I'm sure it had been washed multiple times. The sun hasn't been out yet, so I haven't seen the swirling that I'm sure is there.

The day we brought it home, or maybe the next, I shouted at my boy to stop trying to rub out what looked like an accumulation of dirt on the hood. (As if semi-dirty water had dried as it sat on the more vertical part of the outer fore-to-aft curves on the hood). I left those marks (he didn't do any damage) on all week until I had my shampoo and microfiber cleaning materials. After doing a real good wash and dry, I got out my clay bar and started right at those marks (I had realized that there was a matching pair on the same spot on the other side of the hood). To my dismay, they didn't dissapear. It was dark out and I was finishing up under weak carport lighting.

Today, I went to look at them and realize that they are actually scratches. Looks like a polisher with a bare nut on the bottom (is that a thing?) was used to hit the curves and run along a 10-14" line.

The scratches are rough and very shallow, but may have penetrated the gloss coat. They are still red, whereas there is a chip inside the wheel well that is white (primer, I assume).

Looking for advice here- do I:
a) take it to the dealer and try to get them to do something about it
b) try to polish it out (I am a novice with respect to polishing/sanding, etc.)
c) suck it up- this truck will be scratched, dinged, and damaged by me, my kids, ignorant fools in parking lots, etc..

Thanks for any feedback. Sorry if this isn't the place for this post.

Ian
I have noticed a few little scratches here or there on my truck. This is a really awesome tutorial on how to remove most clear coat scratches. He probably has a video on paint scratches too but i haven't watched it yet!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cptblackadder For This Useful Post:
EasyDuzzit (02-12-2017), Wacked (02-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.