Let my dealership "wash" my truck - Page 3 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:28 AM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,323 Times in 2,237 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Garage
the dealer also stripped and also left off 1 or 2 bolts while doing an oil change as well as left one off all together

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Front tint(removed its illegal now in NYS)*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*LowPro Rollup Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I had the dealership put several notes on my file to NOT wash the truck. It even shows up when I go to buy parts. Their wash swirled the heck out of paint, but the kicker was when it came back with scratches down both sides of the truck just above the rockers. They told me I must have driven it through some bushes; I told them that was BS because I'm on the only one that drives it and I literally washed the vehicle myself the day before I took it in for an oil change and knew for a fact that the scratches weren't there. They swore up and down that the guy they have washing the vehicles promises that the way he washes the truck doesn't leave scratches or swirls. After a long and tedious fight with the guys there, the owner had somebody else buff it out (he didn't even trust his own detail guys to do it right).

That was over a year ago. They still hate me. I stopped by the same dealership the other day to get filters and washers for my oil change/diff fluid exchange (it's just down the road from my house, else I'd go elsewhere). There was an almost new, barcelona red crewmax parked a few spots down from me that had just come out of the carwash; the paint was horribly swirled everywhere - probably worse than mine was and more noticeable because of the color. Guess who still doesn't know how to wash a car?

2013 5.7l DC RB 4x4 TRD MAG GREY w/TOW PKG, WTEC MTS, BGDFLCTR, LOPRO TNO, BDRG, COACH ShKLS N BSHNGS, 45BKUPCAM, DYNAMT W/DB-3 MLV, PRMSiQ, PNR AVHX2500BT, H11_2_H9, Hlla500FF, MGMC #203, TRDSwyBr, PNR TSD1720C, JBLGTO628, PNR GMD8604, INF860w, FX2.0RR, BIL6112, IcnLefPk, RidRitBgs, DystrCrdl

post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
What really pissed me off was when they Armour-alled my tires.

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I always ask them not to do it and I swear 50% of the time they do it anyways...

Just keep on haulin
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
I have a hang-tag that was included in a CQuartz UK Coating kit I purchased from CarPro USA. It says "Do Not Wash Car" and a bunch of other stuff. Never used it because my dealership doesn't wash.

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:21 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
I have a hang-tag that was included in a CQuartz UK Coating kit I purchased from CarPro USA. It says "Do Not Wash Car" and a bunch of other stuff. Never used it because my dealership doesn't wash.
Wait a week before you start washing it. Use a designated carwash soap or shampoo. The coating takes about 30 days to fully cure. By the way if your area has hard water beware do not allow it to dry on the paint as it will create a headache and unnecessary work.

Lifted Tundra Club (LTC) Member #69

Pro Comp 6 Inch Stage II Lift Kit Front MX2.75 Coilovers and Pro Runner Shocks, Fuel Nutz two piece 20x12 with -44 mm offset, Toyo Tire 315x60X20, +3 Coachbuilder1 Shackles, LineX Bed Liner, Viper 5706V Alarm and Remote Start, Pioneer 4200
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEGUAM View Post
Wait a week before you start washing it. Use a designated carwash soap or shampoo. The coating takes about 30 days to fully cure. By the way if your area has hard water beware do not allow it to dry on the paint as it will create a headache and unnecessary work.
Exactly. While it's a lot a work, and maintenance, it's worth it. I've been coating my vehicles for a few years now and it's sweet. Haven't done any long term testing really, since I keep trading them in so quickly.

Neighbor turned his sprinkler system on one summer day and put some nasty water spots. Not fun. Used CarPro spotless and it came out but what a PITA lol.

Haven't done this truck yet. We'll see!

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey guys-

I am the proud new owner of a 2017 SR5 TRD Barcelona red 4x4. We bought it 9 days ago, and after reading all of the great washing and detailing info on this site, I ordered stuff to do it right.

It was raining on and off the day we made the purchase. I don't think they washed the truck that day, but it had been on a few lots, so I'm sure it had been washed multiple times. The sun hasn't been out yet, so I haven't seen the swirling that I'm sure is there.

The day we brought it home, or maybe the next, I shouted at my boy to stop trying to rub out what looked like an accumulation of dirt on the hood. (As if semi-dirty water had dried as it sat on the more vertical part of the outer fore-to-aft curves on the hood). I left those marks (he didn't do any damage) on all week until I had my shampoo and microfiber cleaning materials. After doing a real good wash and dry, I got out my clay bar and started right at those marks (I had realized that there was a matching pair on the same spot on the other side of the hood). To my dismay, they didn't dissapear. It was dark out and I was finishing up under weak carport lighting.

Today, I went to look at them and realize that they are actually scratches. Looks like a polisher with a bare nut on the bottom (is that a thing?) was used to hit the curves and run along a 10-14" line.

The scratches are rough and very shallow, but may have penetrated the gloss coat. They are still red, whereas there is a chip inside the wheel well that is white (primer, I assume).

Looking for advice here- do I:
a) take it to the dealer and try to get them to do something about it
b) try to polish it out (I am a novice with respect to polishing/sanding, etc.)
c) suck it up- this truck will be scratched, dinged, and damaged by me, my kids, ignorant fools in parking lots, etc..

Thanks for any feedback. Sorry if this isn't the place for this post.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3100.jpg (215.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3103.jpg (178.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3104.jpg (179.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3092.jpg (208.0 KB, 79 views)
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like somebody had some debris (rock) in their polishing pad. I can't totally tell from the photos, but I think you are right and the scratches go into the base coat. If you try to sand or polish it out, you may end up all the way through into the primer. Since the truck is new I would take it back to the dealer and see if they can make it right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dixon Cider For This Useful Post:
EasyDuzzit (01-29-2017)
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Eazy - do you have all the stuff in to do it right? Machine and everything? The dealer isn't going to pay to repaint the truck, best case they'll do is have their detailer come and try to level it out. I bet he messes it up and does it half assed because I agree with ^davidson^, looks like a contaminated polishing pad was used. So probably won't ever go away, if you take it back to the dealer you risk the same idiot who did it the first time making it worse when they try to fix it. Thats just IMO though.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreatAvalon For This Useful Post:
EasyDuzzit (01-29-2017)
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavidson View Post
Looks like somebody had some debris (rock) in their polishing pad. I can't totally tell from the photos, but I think you are right and the scratches go into the base coat. If you try to sand or polish it out, you may end up all the way through into the primer. Since the truck is new I would take it back to the dealer and see if they can make it right.
Ahh- that makes sense. I will take it to the dealer at least for a "teaching moment" and I will not let them touch the truck. I suppose even if they offered to repaint the hood, I'd risk them half-as-ing it.

Quote:
Eazy - do you have all the stuff in to do it right? Machine and everything? The dealer isn't going to pay to repaint the truck, best case they'll do is have their detailer come and try to level it out. I bet he messes it up and does it half assed because I agree with ^davidson^, looks like a contaminated polishing pad was used. So probably won't ever go away, if you take it back to the dealer you risk the same idiot who did it the first time making it worse when they try to fix it. Thats just IMO though.
I have a good washing set-up, including clay and lube, and I bought a Griot's 6" Random Orbital polishing machine (I didn't notice that most people are talking about dual-action machines- ought I send this one back and upgrade?). I have orange and white pads in the mail along with Meguiar's 105 and 205. I haven't decided on a finish yet, but I'm leaning toward a good sealer. I have a beat up Vanagon that I figured I'd practice on. I could also hire a professional to just smooth out the scratches and let me do the rest?

Thanks for the feedback!
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:51 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDuzzit View Post
Ahh- that makes sense. I will take it to the dealer at least for a "teaching moment" and I will not let them touch the truck. I suppose even if they offered to repaint the hood, I'd risk them half-as-ing it.

I have a good washing set-up, including clay and lube, and I bought a Griot's 6" Random Orbital polishing machine (I didn't notice that most people are talking about dual-action machines- ought I send this one back and upgrade?). I have orange and white pads in the mail along with Meguiar's 105 and 205. I haven't decided on a finish yet, but I'm leaning toward a good sealer. I have a beat up Vanagon that I figured I'd practice on. I could also hire a professional to just smooth out the scratches and let me do the rest?

Thanks for the feedback!
Yea, most people recommend dual-action instead of RO. I personally have the Porter Cable machine and it works pretty nicely. I figure I'll eventually upgrade to flex, but plan on using the PC for a nice little while still. It's about 3 years old and I've done some great stuff with it! I'm not too familiar with the Griots 6" RO, but I do know I read to get a dual action when I was getting into it.

Sounds like you are definitely on your way to taking care of the truck! If only you weren't given this set-back, you'd be in great shape. I would recommend not doing it yourself if wet sanding is needed - too high of a risk and experience is key.

The thing is, if it's into the base coat (color), there's not much even a professional detailer can do. I guess there is the touch up until the scratches are filled, then wet sand down, compound, polish. But that's pretty high level, your average "detailer" isn't going to do it...or at least probably not do it well (to me).

I do have pretty high standards though...spent 4 full days fully correcting an ISF until I was happy with it (read as: perfect lol). So yea, it's hard to say. You can always take it to a higher end detailer and see what they think they can do for it and get you a quote. The dealer should foot that bill though, IMO. If all they will offer is their "detailer", I'd be sure to meet with him/her before you drop the truck off to have it fixed to see what he/she thinks they can do for it and if it's doing more harm than good (i.e., high risk of burning paint, etc). I'd probably go that route if that's all they want to do for you. After you talk with the dealer's detailer, then you can decide if you want to have them do it or if you want to take it elsewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreatAvalon For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (01-30-2017), EasyDuzzit (01-29-2017)
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yea, most people recommend dual-action instead of RO. I personally have the Porter Cable machine and it works pretty nicely. I figure I'll eventually upgrade to flex, but plan on using the PC for a nice little while still. It's about 3 years old and I've done some great stuff with it! I'm not too familiar with the Griots 6" RO, but I do know I read to get a dual action when I was getting into it.

Sounds like you are definitely on your way to taking care of the truck! If only you weren't given this set-back, you'd be in great shape. I would recommend not doing it yourself if wet sanding is needed - too high of a risk and experience is key.

The thing is, if it's into the base coat (color), there's not much even a professional detailer can do. I guess there is the touch up until the scratches are filled, then wet sand down, compound, polish. But that's pretty high level, your average "detailer" isn't going to do it...or at least probably not do it well (to me).

I do have pretty high standards though...spent 4 full days fully correcting an ISF until I was happy with it (read as: perfect lol). So yea, it's hard to say. You can always take it to a higher end detailer and see what they think they can do for it and get you a quote. The dealer should foot that bill though, IMO. If all they will offer is their "detailer", I'd be sure to meet with him/her before you drop the truck off to have it fixed to see what he/she thinks they can do for it and if it's doing more harm than good (i.e., high risk of burning paint, etc). I'd probably go that route if that's all they want to do for you. After you talk with the dealer's detailer, then you can decide if you want to have them do it or if you want to take it elsewhere.
Okay, I'm red in the face.

I took the truck to my local paint shop and the owner came out, looked, ran back in for some "general purpose cleaner" and proceeded to wipe my "scratches" away!!

He said it was probably a petroleum substance that got on during shipping.

Phew!

Thanks for the help,

Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to EasyDuzzit For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (01-30-2017)
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
We should be happy we get water spots/swirl marks.
Look at what car wash did to this new truck:

2014 CrewMax SR5 4X4 5.7L: 2" MotoFab leveling Kit, 2Crave NX-5 wheels(5X150 +15 offset to fill in fender flares space), 275/60R20XL Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Tires, VLEDs Triton V3 Switchbacks, TRS Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights, CCI Chrome Grille, Spyder Headlights, Extang Solid Fold, Texas Edition, Leather, Nav, JBL, OEM Flares, Husky WeatherBeaters, Silver Sky Club #136

Last edited by DallasTundra!; 01-30-2017 at 08:17 PM.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
My local drive thru wash has a sign telling you to remove antennas. They'll actually do it for you. That guy with the F150 should've known better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.