User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Limited Slip Differential????

I have a simple question that I cannot get a straight answer to. Does my 2007 Tundra have a limited slip differential? The window sticker clearly states that as standard equipment it has “Automatic Limited Slip Diff (Auto LSD)”. The truck behaves like it is using the antilock brakes to apply the brake to the slipping wheel. The owner’s manual reads like that is using the brakes. I emailed Toyota’s “Ask Toyota” and they responded with a vague answer and quoted the owner’s manual. I don’t think the dips**t that responded even knows what a differential is or where it is located. Ford has a thing they call “traction assist” and it explicitly says that it uses the brakes to control wheel spin. I have used this same technique on farm tractors for 30 years! Tractors can brake wheels individually, whereas cars could not until they came out with advanced antilock brake systems.

Today, I had my Tundra serviced at the dealership where I purchased it. I got into an argument with both the assistant service manager and the parts manager about the differential. They just quoted Toyota literature, which all pointed back to the brakes. The parts manager could not show me anything in the exploded view of the rear axle that would constitute a limited slip. No clutches, no viscous couplers, nothing! Their mechanic agreed with me how by using the brakes you could control slip, but since no one at that dealership has taken a Tundra rear end apart, nothing could be confirmed.

I lifted the rear wheels off of the ground. The transmission was in park so the drive shaft was locked. When I rotated one wheel, the other wheel turned in the opposite direction with no resistance. This is a characteristic of an open differential (not limited slip and not a locker).

I don’t mind “traction control” or “traction assist”, but I will not tolerate the wording “Limited Slip Differential” if there is nothing in the DIFFERENTIAL that can control wheel slip! If no one can prove that this differential has a limited slip then I would like to see a class action lawsuit against Toyota for blatant false advertising!!!

Does anyone out here in TundraTalk land know for a FACT about these differentials?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 03:43 PM

Our diffs are open, you will find it common practice for manufacturers now days to refer to brake activated LS as LSD.
In our trucks we have TRAC, which is a type of brake activated LS that works in normal mode(no button pushed), TRAC can and will cut you throttle the same as VSC does.
Push the button once and TRAC is turned off and A-LSD is turned on. A-LSD does not cut your throttle, but it does have speed restrictions and Toyota doesn't want us to drive with it on all the time.
Push and hold the button and everything is turned off, although VSC will still engage in severe conditions.
In 4WD we have A-TRAC, A-TRAC works like A-LSD only it works on all 4 wheels.
In 4LO A-TRAC provides more brake pressure so it works a little better.

2007 DC 4X4 Limited
TRD,Tow,NAV
Afe CAI, Xcelerator Exhaust
275/65/18 BFG AT/KO
Desert Sand
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 05:29 PM

I agree with term Auto LSD is extremely deceptive, shame on Toyota. It is an open diff, no mechanical LSD. My '06 has a Torsen LSD that is tuned beautifully. Other than cost, I don't know why it would have been discontinued. I prefer traction devices like LSD's for vehicle dynamic performance benefits over brake/fuel intervention methods.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The auto-limited slip differential in the Tundra is not a mechanical lock-up "positraction" differential that you're probably thinking about.

The Tundra uses electronics and the breaking system to alternately break the slipping wheel and send power to the one with the most traction. It's somewhat deceiving for those of us who have had true positraction differentials in the past, but it is a pretty effective system none the less.

The same is true for the Tundra 4x4's. While in 4x4 mode you're not actually driving with 4 locked-up hubs.

In racing, speed costs money... How fast do you want to go?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 04:47 PM

Best way for burnouts? push button or hold button till everything is off?

'07 RCSB 4x4, 5.7. Much Faster than my modded Hemi was. Insulated intake & box. Drop in K&N. Removed top filter. Bypassed TB coolant hose to keep intake cold. Valve cover hoses to breather, not intake. 305-50-20 Yoko's on 20 x 9 chrome MB 5 spokes, Debadged, More to come...
WANT TUNER!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Does anyone know if a true limited slip differential is available for the Tundra?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

you would just have to put a detroit,an auburn or a eaton posi in it, I will check some sites to see if they make one yet.

White Tundra Club Member #1
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 PM

When one becomes available, I would much prefer to have a locker vs LSD. I installed a PowerTrax No-Slip locker in my old Silverado, only took about 2 hours....... and it was awesome. A locker is essentially a streetable (sp) spool.

'07 RCSB 5.7 SR5 The Silver Bullet.........Yep, it's gotta HEMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.