Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

General buying advice for '14 - '16 Tundra 5.7L 4x4?

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Brock63 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about trading in my '07 Tundra soon and strongly considering replacing it with a newer Tundra, something '14 and up. I'd be looking at a DC (or possibly CrewMax) 4x4 with a 5.7L V8, not really picky about trim otherwise - i.e. not stuck on a Limited or Platinum etc.

Any buying advice or things to watch out for with buying a used (or new) Tundra in that range? Stuff you wish you'd known before purchasing or would recommend looking for specifically?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Plan in advance.
No need to pay for something if you plan to change it out or modify it anyway.

Also, you definitely pay for the the bells and whistles. If you are not that much into the luxury sides of things, then i would def opt for the Crewmax SR5 over a decked out double cab. But thats just me.

Dont compromise on the 5.7L. This is a must.

Some of the dealer options can be had for alot cheaper on aftermarket such as leather

Also keep in mind, the 16s are the only ones with the larger fuel tank of 38 gallons.

#3 ·
Plan in advance.
[..]

Dont compromise on the 5.7L. This is a must.

[...]

Also keep in mind, the 16s are the only ones with the larger fuel tank of 38 gallons.
Yes, I have a 4.7L now & I learned my lesson about holding out for a 5.7L ... didn't hurt that I just drove around a loaner 2016 DC with the 5.7L V8 for a few days either. :D

Is the 38gal tank on all the '16 models, or is it only with certain packages? I thought I read someplace the extended fuel tank was part of one of the add-ons. Would definitely be nice to have the larger tank!

#7 ·
I'm glad I got the double cab, I love the extra bed space and nobody who sits in the back ever complains. I've also I got the power driver seat with power lumbar adjustments because the seat is really comfortable. I couldn't get comfortable on the bench seat for some reason. I'm not sure whether it's standard but I love the backup camera. I can back up to my trailer without help.

#9 ·
Also FWIW if you're looking to trade in on a low-mile used Tundra consider looking at new ones. In my case the used ones were listed within 1,000 of the new ones and the financing on the new ones was way lower (I think 0.9% when I bought mine, vs a few % for used). Paying an extra grand and getting full warranty and a truck that hasn't been messed with was definitely worth it for me. (I know you can negotiate the used price down significantly but I guess for me even a few thousand was worth having a new truck.)

#12 ·
One thing i got caught up in was the TRD package on my 15. If you plan to level the truck with new 5100's, replace shocks with better ones, or change out your wheels at some point, then don't by the TRD package. I find myself wanting new wheels that aren't the hella tucked +60 with the silver in them. I also want to level the truck with 5100's to put bigger tires on when the time comes....so essentially, I will be removing the TRD package I paid 2k and change for.

Reactions: jloden
#13 ·
I wanted the TRD package, too, but for me it was because the wheels were smaller and the tires bigger, which helps not rash up your rims on curbs and such. I've had my truck for 1.5 years and still not taken it off-roading. The 4x4 trails around here are way too narrow to take this truck w/out denting up all the sheet metal. Not sure it was worth it given that you can replace wheels & tires with take-offs from craigslist for a very reasonable price. I'm not sure I notice the difference in shocks anyway.

#14 ·
Thanks for the input on the TRD package.

I wasn't really stuck on getting it but I do like the wheels better, and had read that it rides better than a stock Tundra on road. I haven't done any real off-roading in 6 years of owning my current Tundra, just riding dirt tracks for camping trips occasionally. So that's not really important to me compared to lower risk of curb-rashing my wheels or a better ride on pavement.

#15 ·
I've had mine off road several times, it performs great. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the SR5 with the upgrade package, then upgrade to 5100's all around (at minimum) and put the tire/wheel of choice on immediately from factory. The money you just saved on the TRD package, covers your new shocks/tires/wheel combo, then sell your brand new TRD wheels and stock Michelin's to someone looking to upgrade. I even ripped off the big stupid red TRD decal that you also pay for with the TRD package.

Reactions: jloden
#17 ·
Is that because the shocks are stiffer or what? When I think off-road I always want a softer ride and more articulation but I have owned Jeeps for decades so maybe it's different for pickups. In any case I added the TRD swaybar too which improves on-road but should suck for off-road.

#19 ·
I just got a 16....sold my Land Cruiser and my Vette (02 Z06) to get this truck.

I went with double cab because there is plenty of room for the occasional lunch run with guys at work or grand kids but you get the 6.5 foot bed too...which is not available with the CrewMax setup as it cuts into bed area.

I got the Limited as I wanted leather but it had a few other options on the truck that I like...dual heated seats, dual heated mirrors, power driver with lumbar, underseat storage in rear, LED lighting kit inside/outside, tow package, spray in bed liner, rail mounted tie downs, LED lights in bed area, power sliding rear window, McGrew Wheel Locks, stereo with updatable NAV (micro SD card and can be updated using Garmin app), paint protection (hood, handle wells, quarter panels behind wheels, etc.

I also got the TRD Offroad....as I wanted the smaller wheels (18")...replacing tires though but keeping the Bilsteins. I am just adding a leveling and lift kit from ToyTec....3 inch spacers for front strut, 1 inch spacer for rear leafs, and differential drop spacers of 1 inch. Allows me to keep same very capable suspension, level truck and get a little extra clearance for 33 or 34 inch tires with no or minimal mods needed.

I also added the TRD CAI and Dual Exhaust....installed them in driveway the other night in about 3.5 hours...after wasting 30-45 min on trying to get passenger exhaust in without dropping spare...until I finally gave up. :)

That all being said...I love this truck and enjoy the 38 gal tank and ride on road as well as off road on farm plus two years of free service and tire rotations...and lifetime powertrain warranty. You are going to love it. Only negatives....why do they put carpet floor mats in a pickup....they should all come with all weather mats front and rear......and wish the storage tray was included with the center console that I added as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.