Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Anybody ever level/lift a 4x2?

11K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  Bulldog_Tundra 
#1 · (Edited)
Just curious. Love the look of you badass 4x4's all up and level. Wondering if I'd look like a poser? Lol. I can trade but don't need the 4 by in Tennessee/Alabama much

#2 ·
There are plenty of guys with lifted 4x2. You have less complication with 4x2 when you lift.

#4 ·
Like he said above man, for looks, I say go right ahead. 33's or so look great on these trucks with a little lift/level.

#5 ·
I'm sure there are just as many lifted 4x2 on here as their are 4x4.

You don't ALWAYS need 4x4 for to go offroading ;)

#7 ·
Look BadDadCamry's saga. He had about every lift/level/tire/wheel combo possible on his 4x2. Plus, you'll probably find some interesting reading...

Reactions: Wacked
#8 ·
Ive had my 2011 TRD 2WD lifted since 2 weeks after I bought it. California Desert bombing is actually much better with 2WD. Less weight, complexity, gas, etc. This is just Fox coil overs in the front and airbags in the back.

Reactions: Wacked
#10 ·
I have a lifted 4x2 and it has already been useful as I like to jump urban obstacles. ;)

On a side note, I bought one of those bed tents but have not used it. I hear they are a pain in the ass to setup..... what has been your experience with it?

#9 ·
Leveled using pro-comp.

#11 ·
Love that thing! I have a 12" tall piece of foam that I bought and cut to the dimensions of my truck bed. It's more comfortable sleeping in that thing than any hotel bed for sure. It took us a while to figure it out the first time we put it together, but now it's about 10mins tops. It's super roomy too, my dane sleeps with us no problem. Also, since it's up off the ground it doesn't get as cold.

Nice thing is to can take two poles out, put the tail gate up and roll my tonneau cover down and drive to where ever, then pop it up in 30 seconds flat. 10/10 would buy again :)

Reactions: Gene3x
#16 ·
Y'all lookin good! One last question...I've read on these threads of potential problems with steering system failures and the like so let's say for kicks and giggles that I'm doing a 2.5-3 inch level only. What problems await or what can I do to avoid them? My needs are small,unlike my aura of greatness.
Thanks for the replies!

#17 ·
Steering racks have been blow by guys just doing bilsteins, all the way up to guys with 7" BDS lifts. No one has really pinpointed what exactly causes it, but I think it might really come down to tire width and offset. I've had my 3.6" lift from Fox Coilovers for 5 years now without any issues. I went with 295/70R18's though, which are like a ~34.5"x11" tire. It seems like all the guys I've seen with rack issues had 12"+ wide tires. Seems like a small difference. But it allows the wheel offset to be closer to the hub, putting less pressure on the rack.

A lot of guys seem to have the issue at full lock and when backing up as well. Just be gentle when you're at full lock, and try to avoid full lock if you can. The rack seems to really up the PSI at full lock and blow the seals.

#22 ·
I wouldn't mind getting a few opinions here along the same line. I just bought a new 2016 white 4X2 with TSS package (black 20" wheels). I would like to do a 3/2 front/rear lift, but I don't want the expense of new tires. Will my 33 inch tires look too small with this lift?

#23 ·
Isn't the idea of a true pre-runner an extreme version of a lifted leveled 2 wd?

Used for scouting corners and trail conditions ahead of the race vehicle?

#25 ·
I say definitely go Bilstein to level it out. Mine is on 5100s up front at top setting and nothing in the back.
^ I would highly suggest this route over a 3/1 spacer and block lift.

I ended up with a Bilstein 6112/5160 combo on my 2014 2 WD.
But Bilstein 5100 X 4 probably would have fit my street queen needs.
I probably overdid it with the 6112/5160s.
Just trying to be honest....:D

6112 front shocks, 2nd notch from the bottom with 1 CB shim.
Toytec rear shackles on the 1" setting w/ 5160 rear shocks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.