Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

dodge v toyota?

13K views 66 replies 39 participants last post by  mcfoto 
#1 ·
Looking at buying either a 2011 Toyota crewmax or a 2012 dodge ram 2500 crew cab

not worried about towing because either will do with my two horses

I'm worried about longevity of dodge vs Toyota

Toyota has a great rep, but dodge has great truck history

thoughts....?

Thanks!

#4 ·
If the Ram 2500 is a 5.7 Hemi it would feel underpowered. The 6.7L Cummins would be pre SCR/def and relies heavily on EGR valve for emissions. So you have to get deleted. And I traded in my 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins for a Tundra and have been happy with my decision. It tows my 7K trailer just fine. Upkeep and maintenance on is much less. Plus all the recalls I got done on the Ram plus the ones that kept coming in after trade in WOW! The Tundra recalls none. My Tundra is pretty much turn key and go.

#6 ·
Dodge had such a great history they couldn't wait to get away from the brand name. So they renamed it Ram. Recent reliability data indicates both Dodge and Ram are near the bottom of the pecking order with Toyota/Lexus on top. If the reliability is the deciding factor, go with Tundra.

#8 ·
We also have a 2016 RAM 1500 Sport. Got it 2 weeks after the Tundra. Can't wait to see how the two compare for the next 2-3 years. Then I'll be ready to do something with my Tundra, be it another Tundra or something else. Time will tell!

#10 ·
That means it will last you 3 years instead of 2...

#18 ·
Does this mean you won a bowl of won ton soup? Because it sure sounds like it to me you lucky bastard!

#17 ·
For me, reliability ranks number one. I'll take that over a larger fuel tank, better gas mileage, or even greater payload. The Tundra's not perfect, but its track record for staying out of the shop is much better.

#19 ·
Not in the same league.

But I have a 1997 Dodge Dakota Extra Cab 4x4 5.2 liter with 126K miles that I have owned since December 1996.

THIS thing is still a beast and is now my Daily Driver.

It does have some super amazing power that my tundra doesn't have. I can park it anywhere and no one will hit it!!!!!

;)

YB

#20 ·
If it was a newer (2014+) Ram I'd have to go with that. Just my opinion.

#29 ·
and i'd bet we see you back on this forum with a new truck around 2018

:D

#22 ·
Oh now we're splittin hairs....give the guy his won ton soup you cheap bastid.

#26 ·
My buddy bought a 2014 dodge cummins the same week I bought my 15 tundra back in February of 2015. His truck has been in the shop 3 times for DEF exhaust fluid issues aND he walked out in his garage and all his oil was on the ground. Needless to say my truck has only been to the shop to get the oil changed we both have about 23k miles both our trucks. So the choice is yours but I know I'm very pleased with my yota!

Reactions: nwtundra
#30 ·
At 36k, that Hemi needs 16 new spark plugs (yes, two per cylinder, two different types). I doubt they did that before trading it in.

Up until 2013 or 2014, they used cheap copper plugs. They use a 100k mile plug now, but I'm not sure that you can put the new plugs on the older Hemis.

#31 ·
I know this is a Toyota Forum but here are my two cents. I have owned three Dodge Ram 1500's with the Hemi engine. My current Ram is a 2012 with 77,000 miles on it. I put over 100,000 miles on both my 2003 Ram and my 2007 Ram. No major problems. My three Rams have been every bit as reliable as my wife's Tacomas. She has had five of them. (I am following this forum because I am considering a Tundra for my next truck...mostly just to have something different. I sorta like the TRD Pro.)

#33 ·
100,000 miles is nothing to judge a vehicle by these days. There is nothing to brag about getting 100,000 miles with "no major" problems.

I bet, you never hauled that much with either of them RAM and "Dodge/Chrysler" has always been known for transmissions that can't make it much past 100,000 miles. Just ask any used truck/car dealership out there. The 5.7 engine is not that bad a engine. Neither are the 318s. Little weak on the plugs and water pumps. Sometimes costly to repair.

To me.... .they just drive like crap after about 60,000 miles. They aren't worth what they want for them. If they dropped the price about 5,000 grand on them.... might be worth the buy.

#32 ·
I can only post what issues buddies have had. Not many major issues, other than flooding when it rains, dealer never said why... Many recalls, trans issues, and steering issues.

I have a fair amount of customers that run wham 3/4 tons for business use, plowing/outdoor maint companies. Between the steering wear issues which get denied under warranty, the blower door, trans issues, and electrical issues, I guess they are pretty reliable. I mean, they still run and move, just might not have lights, heat, steering, or all the gears...

:lol5:

One good customer only runs Dodges, when he comes in he bitches, then says "but they are cheaper than anyone else with my discount..."...

Said he buys the extra warranty then has to fight to get any coverage anytime there is an issue. Last winter a dealer tried to blame the broken blend door on the plow...

#47 ·
If you are driving a V8 mpg is the last thing you should be worried about. MPGs are for Prius and EcoBoost owners. If you want comfortable interior use bubble wrap lol

Sent from your mom's room, in the closet, with the door shut, and the lights out. You wouldn't be able to see me because I'm that dark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.