Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Just an observation of the low fuel light and miles to empty

11K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Big Shasta 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 SR5 DC.

First off, I know from what I've read that when your gas gauge hits E (and the low fuel light is on) you very likely have another 4 to 6 gallons left.
That being stated, I'd like to share tonight's experience with y'all.

When I got off work tonight my MTE (miles to empty) read 6 miles, it is 13 miles to home.
Gas is much cheaper at home than around work.
So I close to work I put $5 (2 gallons - $2.59 a gallon mid-grade) in to get me home.
Again, I know I probably would have made it, but in 37 years of driving I pride myself in never running out of gas.

Anyway, I put the 2 gallons in and it showed more gas on the gauge, but no more miles on MTE.
It counted down driving home 4,3,2,1 and then it read low fuel and the light in the gas gauge came on for the 7 miles home.

I stopped at Kroger by the house and used my 30 cents off per gallon and filled it up.
I got 20.65 gallons ($1.89 a gallon mid-grade) into it.

I just found it odd that the MTE didn't update after my 2 gallons put in after the low fuel light came on.
So I guess once the low fuel light comes on, it won't update until you fill it more than 2 gallons????

Be safe...1LL

See less See more
Reactions: Wacked
#5 ·
I get better MPG and I feel the truck runs better with mid-grade.
I was buying regular until the gas prices went down.
When you start paying for my gasoline, I'll buy regular.

Was the key off when you put the 2 gallons in? If you left the truck run, or in the on position, the computer may not be actively reading how much gas is in your tank (just periodic checks or maybe just reading it on startup). Just a thought.
Key was off.
I also stopped at Chipolte on the way home after buying the 2 gallons.

#4 ·
Was the key off when you put the 2 gallons in? If you left the truck run, or in the on position, the computer may not be actively reading how much gas is in your tank (just periodic checks or maybe just reading it on startup). Just a thought.

#6 ·
I get better MPG and I feel the truck runs better with mid-grade.
I was buying regular until the gas prices went down.
When you start paying for my gasoline, I'll buy regular.

Key was off.
I also stopped at Chipolte on the way home after buying the 2 gallons.
Maybe the two gallons really wasn't two gallons?

#8 ·
I've done this on multiple occasions. The truck has a 26 gallon tank but only takes 20ish gallons to fill up when the light has been on and it says 0 miles to empty...
Therefore, we literally have almost 6 gallons of gas left when the truck is telling us we are out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
There are a bunch of threads on this topic....

:deadhorse:

#25 ·
wow I did not know you were a loser if you bought anything above 87 octane . I use 93 for now. but the prices are going up and up. I may go back to 87.

Reactions: Wacked and 1lowlife
#28 ·
Nobody said you were a loser....you're just blowing money out the tailpipe....BUT, since I'm not paying, F'It...put in sunoco SS 100......probably has a ton more power in it huh? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.