Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Air compressors - drain or leave full when not using?

6K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  Powertechn2 
#1 ·
I've got a 33 gallon Husky air compressor in the garage.

I noticed a very slow leak and it seems to be the drain on the bottom.
I ordered another, this time with a hose to make draining easier.

Question is;
Should I drain this thing every time I use it and leave it empty?
I've been leaving full of air and turning off.
I use my compressor at least once a week for something.
I mostly use it to blow out the garage (too lazy to sweep it) or blow off/out the lawn mower.
I also use it for drying when washing the cars..

It takes 15 minutes or more to fill when completely empty.
It is nice having it ready to go.

If the consensus is drain it when i'm not using it, I'll start doing that.

What say you?

See less See more
Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#2 ·
How about a good compromise and maybe drain once a month. I've always kind of wondered myself if I should be draining my compressor every time I am done with it. I drain it but it is a small compressor that only takes a few minutes to refill. But sometimes I wonder if it creates more rust inside or it doesn't really matter.

#9 ·
Thank you Gentlemen.
As far as humidity, I'm not far from StevenD.
It has been humid the last couple weeks.

I wasn't sure if I should keep it empty or full.
It will certainly be easier to drain the water out with the new drain fitting.

It held air fine, even with the hose reel, before the drain started the leak.
It is a small leak.
It takes about a week to drain all the air out.

#13 ·
Why not put the air hose on the bottom? Any water that accumulated will be blown out when you blow out the garage. This is what I do. No issues with water or rust because of this practice.

I have dedicated hoses that come off at a higher point for painting.

I leave my compressor charged and turned on 24/7. If you have no leaks its a non issue.

#15 ·
We purchased our 60 gallon Puma at a professional compressor shop (that's all they do is compressors from medical to large commercial). The advice I got from them was to leave it on and full of air. Draining and filling when needed will just increase the moisture in the tank.

The only time I drain it fully is right before changing the oil. I'll open the drain valve and let the thing run for a few minutes to get the oil hot.

The first thing Green Valley did for me was to first extend the drain plug with a small pipe to make oil changes easier and less messy. They did this without charging me anything extra. The second was, before installing, for me to put a right angle fitting on the drain plug and run an extension out with a ball valve to make draining much easier. I used standard copper pipe fittings. I didn't even know you could buy fancy, specialized kits for it. I guess I could put an automatic drainer on it but it's too easy just to flip the valve for a second or two every week to make sure it stays dry in the tank.

If I recall Husky compressors are built by Campbell Hausfeld. They are o.k. if just for occasional use.

--Matt

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a Montgomery wards compressor from the 70's (a guess). It's one of the dual piston types and it works awesome. It's a 20 gallon and it fills in about 2-3 minutes. I had an issue with the unloader valve not releasing the piston pressure so it could restart. Replaced it twice before I got one that worked. I always leave it full of air. And I'm in North florida, about the most humid place on the planet. I have drained it from the bottom valve a few times and there is very minimal water so I don't worry about it.

Bought it from a coworker about 20 years ago. I use it probably about every 2 weeks for something.

Is that husky one of the oilless ones? I can't stand how noisy they are.

Anyone looking for a quiet one, these things are unbelievably quiet. We have one at work but I'll get one when the MWs one dies. You can stand over it and have a very quiet conversation with someone.

California Air Tools 5.5 Gal. 1.0 HP Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free Air Compressor-5510SE - The Home Depot

#17 ·
I have a Montgomery wards compressor from the 70's (a guess). It's one of the dual piston types and it works awesome. It's a 20 gallon and it fills in about 2-3 minutes. I had an issue with the unloader valve not releasing the piston pressure so it could restart. Replaced it twice before I got one that worked. I always leave it full of air. And I'm in North florida, about the most humid place on the planet. I have drained it from the bottom valve a few times and there is very minimal water so I don't worry about it.
My dad has one of those that he inherited from my grandfather. As far as I know, he has never had a lick of trouble with it.

#18 ·
I've been running a Chicago Pneumatic 26 gallon for about a year; I got it second hand but the previous owner didn't do much with it. I use it almost everyday, sometimes for hours straight. It gets angry and starts spitting; sometimes is makes a stink (seriously, it starts to smell...); but it's still running strong. I try to drain it once a month when I use it hard, or whenever it starts spitting. Before I used it so heavily, I drained it maybe once in 4 months, but it was rusty and gross, meaning it should have been drained before that. I always leave it pressured up. It leaks about 5 lbs a week when left alone. I've run my last two compressors the same way, but with fewer drain intervals (and much less abuse - especially running for hours at a time). They needed to be drained more, but they were always pressured up and I never had any problem.
@UNTMatt - how do you like that Puma? Which model did you get? I've been eyeing the PK-7060V for a while now to replace the CP, just trying to scrum up the change to get it to my doorstep. The few reviews I've seen on their equipment have been favorable, but there isn't much about them. Nobody offers them locally - or even close to local - so I can't even get hands on and ogle one..

#20 ·
@UNTMatt - how do you like that Puma? Which model did you get? I've been eyeing the PK-7060V for a while now to replace the CP, just trying to scrum up the change to get it to my doorstep. The few reviews I've seen on their equipment have been favorable, but there isn't much about them. Nobody offers them locally - or even close to local - so I can't even get hands on and ogle one..
Really like the Puma. They are well built compressors but are difficult to find locally sometimes. I used to have a small 8 gallon Puma that my father gave me when he didn't need it anymore. It was a tank that still ran well after between 15~20 years of use. Since I got the stationary, I got rid of it since I was no longer using it. A friend of mine has a 80 gallon Puma in his shop that he loves and is the reason I decided to get the stationary Puma.

They seem to be under rated and put out a higher CFM than what they claim to be. I got mine because, at the time of purchase, we had two older vehicles that I was having to patch together all the time. Since we have replaced those, the Puma doesn't see much use.

The model we purchased was a PK6060V.

--Matt

#22 ·
I have a similar size craftsman. I drain it once maybe every two months. Usually it's a few drips at best. Unless it's crazy humid I think you'll be ok leaving it full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
We drain ours at work every morning. I'd say about a gallon comes out of the compressor and we have a 250gal aux storage tank to help with the cycling and gets maybe half a gal out of it. South Louisiana has crazy humidity almost year round we have the big refrigerated dryers on the line going in the shop if not we get more water than air. That's def not good for the cnc's.

#26 ·
I maintain 8, 250 hp Quincy rotory screw air compressors for work.

On humid day, a 100 gallons of water can be drained out of the tanks on each compressor. Thankfully there are auto drains.

I have 1 compressor that has run non stop since 1994. It gets shut down once per year for an oil change. About 45 minute break.

#27 ·
Always store with the drain valve open. No exceptions. You will compromise you tank with corrosion if you do not. And to all who say well I have never drained mine, you wont like it when your tank explodes, take it from experience.

#31 · (Edited)
it was not an explosion, I was being dramatic I guess. But it was a sudden rupture which could have caused serious injury if I was to close. It was on an old boat and you had to reach under the tank to drain. Their was a sudden bang and rush of air. It happens.
After I found the weld around the drain cock had failed. Drain cock was down in the bilge with the welded nipple still attached. Could have injured my hand if it happened while I was draining the tank.

#32 ·
I'm a compressed air mechanic and work on everything from Craftsman screamers to Quincy 350hp qsi series. You will be fine leaving it on and full, just drain the condensate out of it weekly or install a auto drain and don't worry about it. As for a exploding tank I've never seen it happen. The compressors have relief valves usually on the mid stage and receiver in place so it doesn't explode.

Now i have seen them rust and start leaking due to not draining the condensate, the receivers are thicker steel than you think. They are pressure tested before they leave the factory the M.A.P. and M.A.W.P. are stamped on the receiver as long as you don't exceed those ratings and you have the proper RV's in place the shouldn't be a problem.

-Jason

#33 ·
"Craftsman screamers" I know exactly what compressor type you are talking about. Never heard them called that, but it's a perfect description.

You know why you see those types with wheels?

So you can wheel them to the curb easier.

#34 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.