Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Cab mount replacement on '12?

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  wiscdave 
#1 ·
I am sure this is here somewhere but Im not finding it specifically:

The TSB for cab mount replacement (that I found here) covers 2007 to 2010. My service manager had a blank look when I showed it to him, and it wasnt in his system at all.

Did the rear cab mounts change after '10? Specifically, I am trying to improve the ride on my '12 crewmax and am on a mission to throw everything I can at it.

Does anyone have the part number?

If I cant get this thing smoothed out, its not going to be a keeper :(

By kitchen sink, these are some of the items I am trying:

Upgraded shocks/coilovers: I put the TRD Pro set on recently. They helped, but more with the bigger bumps and not the jiggling and jarring felt on seemingly trivial cracks.

Deaver springs in the rear. In process. Fine by me to derate loading capacity, I dont tow and dont need a 3/4 ton capacity at all.

Added 240# of sand to the back of the bed. Again helped, but still not a great ride.

I am going to put some weight in the backseat (sand bags on the floor). The thought is that if its a harmonic between the cab and chassis, weight will change this and easier test than switching cab mounts. But may do the cab mounts anyway.

Tires: These are 20" rims with the stock Goodrich Rugged Terrains (275/55/20). My latest thinking that this could be much of the problem on the jarring felt on small cracks that dont really actuate the suspension. Given the front is a little higher now with the TRD Pro coils, I thought I would go to a larger sidewall and a passenger rated tire such as the Michelin LTX M/S. Maybe 285/60's?? (if those will clear). More sidewall is better from what I have read here.

TRD sway bar going in just to help roll in the corners.

I am open to any suggestions. There is a LOT of reading out there on improving the ride of these trucks, and some of it is contradictory so tricky to know whats valid. I dont tow. Carry kids and soccer gear and some home improvement materials. And some antique garden tractors from time to time, hence the preference for a pickup over a SUV.

(feel free to bash me about it being a 'truck' and I should live with it. Its not worth it to me in the current ride comfort, will switch brands if I cant sort this out. I have been driving a first gen Tundra since 2002 and loved it. This new one, not so much. But it seems like it 'has' to be solvable)

See less See more
#2 ·
What problem exactly are you trying to solve? Bed bounce or rough ride? These are 2 different things and are going to require 2 different approaches although you won't get rid of bed bounce completely. Was your CM stock, suspension wise, before you started doing all of this? The tires you are currently running definitely aren't helping things at all. Also the rear sway bar will make the ride stiffer even though it helps in the corners.

#6 · (Edited)
A fair question. The answer I think is, both. Every time I hit even a small bump it jars the riders. Even small seams that really shouldnt be felt. My '02 TRD I could blast over manhole covers, bumps, dips and although you felt it, it wasnt the harsh jarring that this one has.

Then the jiggles. There are times were it gets a shake for no obvious reason. It comes and goes, but is related to certain sections of the commute. I think this might be the bed bounce.

Again, I am comparing the ride to two different first gens (an '02 TRD and a '06LTD that I had been driving). So Im not transitioning from a caddy, but from a first gen Tundra

I was thinking the shocks/coilovers should help handle bumps in general (the TRD pro front coils I thought were supposed to be softer).

Then the cab mounts could help bed bounce, along with the weight. (and was hoping softer rear springs combined with some weight will help)

And higher sidewall tires would help with the little cracks and seams that are sending a twack through me each time I hit one.

Or maybe I am just wanting something that this vehicle cant give me, and beating a dead horse. But willing to try before giving up. Its a nice truck, just isnt enjoyable to ride in....

(yes, it was all stock when I bought it)

#3 ·
I still had some jiggly belly issues with Deaver K37s / Total Chaos Shackles and rear 2.5 piggyback shocks. It was better than stock but by no means was it like a sedan. I had 35in mud terrain tires on 17 in rims.

Lowering the PSI a bit helped too.

It's just the nature of the beast when dealing with leaf springs. The sandbag weight would help you too.

I read a lot that @Coachbuilder1 shackles can greatly improve the ride bed bounce.

#5 ·
@Southern
The camburg and coachbuilder shackles are thicker than Total Chaos which helps stabilize things more. But I've only had TC so my experience is limited. @dissipator16 has used camburg and Coachbuilder

From what I've read the poly bushings improve too. From reading the forums people that get shackles and polybushings not only fixes bed bounce but also cures cancer !

#7 ·
[MENTION=362761]From reading the forums people that get shackles and polybushings not only fixes bed bounce but also cures cancer !
Yes. Exactly why its hard to sort through it all to know what will work. And each situation/setup is a little different.

#12 ·
Likely a piece of the puzzle. Wish I had a local bud to swap out tires and test with...

I need to read up on how shackles work. Its not obvious (to me) why this helps.

Poly bushings I assume are softer and more compliant, so absorb some shock.

Sulastic shackles are along these lines...

#10 ·
I too swapped in the cab mounts from the TSB and they made little improvement to the ride quality. I have seen folks drill out their cab mounts though to make them even softer

Anyone want to R&D some hydraulic cab mounts??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.