Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Roof Trim on 2016 Crew Max Tundra

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Bluewoo 
#1 ·
So took the new 2016 Crew Max Platnium Tundra for its first car wash and noticed the roof trim on both sides of the roof has a slight 4-5 mm separation about 1 foot from the rear of the crew cab (pics attached). Not sure if this is there for expansion. Not sure if this was cut short. On my 2008 Tacoma the roof trim was all one piece and went all the way from front to back without separation.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Anyone add a little silicone to fill the gap?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
pretty normal on the Tundra's My Dc has that my last two Gen one had that too. One thing is on my New Tundra i'm wrapping this because after a while it start's to fade off with mold on it depending on where you live.

Reactions: Tundrafan16
#6 ·
Lol, your probably right. Drive it plenty. It's a new truck with a couple anomalies that were not on the last truck, so just good to figure out now if something that should be fixed or just the way everyones truck is. Figured others would look at their sunroof or trim and chime in if normal or abnormal.

#8 ·
Holy crap you found more, I just posted in your sunroof thread. That truck is falling apart. Time to trade it in before things get any further out of hand.

#9 ·
dont worry ive noticed a handful of things on tundras that look different from the factory on different tundras. For example the hood on my tundra is off center to the left. My buddies tundras hood however is dead center.

#13 ·
The roof on mine has it too, good to know I'm not the only one. First thing I did when I got home was align the bumpers best I can. They were off and it was bugging. Loosened all the bolts on the rear bumper and realign. I also found small factory defects in the paint. The interior came stock with scratches on the dash, glove box and door panels. Although only noticeable in the right light. I just have to get over it. Every vehicle I have ever owned I was able to find a small hair in the paint. Like an eyelash or arm hair. Guess the builders wanted to leave their DNA as a calling card.

#15 ·
Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone add a little silicone to fill the gap?
Yes I notice mine and you can remove that trim to properly clean the channel.

#16 ·
Yep they all have the gap. Interesting at the dealership I checked the used Tundras. Amazing how many had really loose or falling apart roof trim. Reading online, looks like some put a little black silicone in there, as apparently that is the weak spot where the trip likes to come off.

What is this "wrap" you guys are talking about?

#17 ·
Wrap is used for two thing's to protect and to add decals designs and Not use a body shop. I've wrapped my headlights from X peel because it's protects them from headlights fading and yellowing on the lenses and we all know how pricey this tends to get.
When i asked him about his rear bumper it's a white sticker over the base chrome thus the term wrap.

#19 ·
The passenger side piece has been missing from my 08 tundra for several years now...pretty sure the dealership lost it in their carwash, as I mentioned to them that it was coming lose they supposedly fixed it, but I noticed a couple weeks later that it was completely gone LOL. I asked about a replacement piece and at $100 I said forget it, it can stay missing. I haven't bothered removing the piece on the driver's side....yet.

#20 ·
Guys, It's not the appearance of the gap that concerns me, its the fact that its not one continuous piece like my tacoma was, and it is a weak spot. Like someone else said, only one that will notice is the 18 wheeler. Initial question was just to see if every truck done this way. However, after searching I find this is indeed a weak spot and not dirt cheap to replace.

I like the wrapping idea.

#21 ·
Its Normal
All are made this way for water to run off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.