Looks like a PRO Tacoma is coming. Hopefully some Tundra goodies as well

#4 ·
you nailed it, new tacoma package

bummer, looks like the tundra gets the shaft

#7 ·
not for the redesigned new 2016 tacoma, that is what is coming

so tundra get the shaft once again.

#8 ·
I wouldn't say the tundra gets the shaft from a picture. Even if nothing comes for a 2017 Tundra, we'll like get something in 2018. The Tacoma and Tundra are on 10 year design cycles.

The TRD Offroad Tacoma is already impressive and incredibly capable...what would a Pro trim offer? Blacked out wheels and a beefier skid? Seems silly.

#10 · (Edited)
If we are going off of previous release history of new body styles / updates for the Taco and Tundra, then it goes like this:

2005 New Tacoma
2007 New Tundra

2009 Taco grill & minor updates
2010 Tundra grill & minor updates

2012 Taco Heavy refresh front end and interior
2014 Tundra heavy refresh front end and interior

2016 "New" Taco
2017 Tacoma TRD Pro (Grill and updates?)
(2017 Tundra updates?????)
2018 "New" Tundra

When the 2014 Tundra came out and everyone was disappointed, I was hopeful that Toyota was going to put their trucks on the same development time table as the F-150. When the refreshed F-150 came out in 2009 with hardly any changes, everyone was disappointed that the same old Triton 5.4L was the best they could do. It set them up for a staggered platform / drivetrain schedule to spread development costs across. In 2011 They came out with all new motors (very successful ones at that). Then in 2015 a completely new truck that used most of the same motors. They are expected to have a new lineup of engines soon but the same (or refreshed) body style.

It seems that Toyota is still on the thinking of a ten year (and then some) product lifecycle is ok. The old 4.7L V8 had a 13 year (maybe even 14) run. I love my 5.7, but I can't see them keeping it around another 4 years in the current truck market, even though it looks like that is their plan.

Reactions: Breathing Borla
#11 ·
Agree 100% with the two posts above.

All we wanted is an updated/tweaked 5.7 w/400+ HP, an 8-speed tranny, etc.

What we get is the same ol underpowered Tacoma with Shocks and a Grille, yippee...

I don't know if I can do it or not, but I am going to try and give freaking Toyota one more year to announce some Tundra updates, riccnick is onto something with the update schedule he posted, because otherwise I'm gone Toyota, because I want a new truck.

Perhaps another down year of the dated Tundra sales will wake them up, maybe...

#12 ·
LOL, I got tired of waiting so bought a loaded Ram while I am waiting.

if they keep this up I may need a GMC SLT 6.2 8 speed while I'm still waiting>:D;)

and why is this a "world" debut when it's only a NA truck?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.