Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Toyota Chicago show press Feb 11.

6K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  cookiedough1 
#1 · (Edited)
So i'm going to watch The Press video live from the upcoming Chicago auto show and have some feeling's Toyota is going to update some engines :)

Stay turned what's everybody feeling's on changes any guess what the future holds? I'm willing to bet we might see a new 8 speed like Land cruiser too but i have strong feelings Toyota is going to update one engine and add a New one.

#5 ·
I did at one time back in 2004 have connection and Most that know me are aware. I first reported that Tundra was updating to a new 5 speed with VVti and guess what it happened :). I also had very early information I shared a little bit wished I had that friend today.
Here's my approach and reason for this thread I've watched Mike Sweers Product planner for Tundra/Tacoma discuss a lot about engines and I have a strong feeling what we saw on the 2016 updates for Tacoma very likely will have the same effects on the Tundra line too. While the all New 3.5 v6 with 270 hp is pretty decent the engine very well can be added on the base Tundra because the 4.0 v6 was axed. Let's see what happens but I plan to watch the video live on thur and update my findings here 0:)

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#4 ·
I have also heard rumblings about am announcement from Toyota this week.

Really hoping it's a Tundra drivetrain update! There are zero spy shots/information out there, so perhaps it is a ways away, but I am crossing my fingers that Tundra gets an update!

#7 ·
Hate to be a bubble buster but don't hold your breath. Remember the TRD pro line was teased during the superbowl and revealed in Chicago 2 years ago. The taco is gobbling up capacity at San Antonio and Tundra units actually dipped last year because of it. They're not in position to add any new updates to the Tundra because of this. The taco is ruining any chance we have for improving our truck, just look at how the tacos numbers are selling. They even killed the pro taco. Trucks and suvs are still hot and toyota is missing the boat by a mile. Instead of freshning the camry & avalon they should heve updated the 4 runner and Tundra. The prius has a big update coming out this year and guess what, nobody is out buying into a new prius, go figure.

#8 ·
Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#9 ·
Time will tell regarding Toyota announcing any engine and drive train announcements for the Tundra or anything else for that matter.

I do find it interesting that over the last few months I have been receiving more and more surveys from Toyota that are specifically about the Tundra. Does that mean there are changes coming for the Tundra? Aluminium parts replacing steel, Lighter weight tailgate, Hybrid engine choice, More on board infotainment stuff, More cargo & towing capacity? Who knows if or when we might see any of these things. No question there may be some changes. It is only a question of when and what changes.

#11 · (Edited)
I almost purchased a New 16 Tacoma dc TRd sport long bed but i didn't want to wait 6mo's and Toyota can keep it's cloth based 42k Tacoma Trd sport long bed with Tech package. I'll gladly pay that on a Tundra and I did but not a Mid sized Tacoma NO thanks 0:)

Yes new model is Trd Pro Tacoma No doubt and I hate how you can't gain crawl control on limited or Trd sport lame Toyota...

Reactions: krabage
#15 ·
#18 ·
Toyota's presser is at 1:30 pm CST today...don't expect anything on the Tundra, taco is taking all the limelight. Toyota has their head in the sand on the Tundra, aka the "ostrich approach". The sad part is they can't and won't move quick enough to capitalize on the market demand. By the time they do it'll be to little too late. Alot of new competition with new options coming on board. That new power wagon is looking pretty sweet....

#19 ·
Starting to look like Toyota has basically given in.

But they don't care, they sell every Tundra that leaves the SA plant. And with no improvements or new design costs they've more than paid for all of the engineering in 06'-07'.

the dated Tundra is a cash cow for Toyota. So despite being left in the dust by the competition, Toyota is still way ahead, it's a business thing.

Reactions: nitro943
#20 ·
I don't think that they are ahead if they are shifting production at that plant to the Taco. That tells me it's a business decision because it's more profitable for them to quit making Tundras and produce Tacos. It tells me that the current Tundra can't compete with the F150, GM, Ram.

#21 ·
Toyota is already giving teaser pictures of the new Tacoma Trd pro. I don't like it looks kind a like a Nissan Maxima Lego blocks omg .

#23 ·
I'm watching now

#25 ·
Anything on your end Toyota icon please stand by I'm like waiting lol

#27 ·
Yes appears like they are screwed on video right now damit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.