Best Resale Value in 5 years TRD Pro vs Platinum vs 1794 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best Resale Value in 5 years TRD Pro vs Platinum vs 1794

So, I have the blessing from my wife to buy my truck next February/March. I explained my choices between a Platinum vs Pro vs 1794.
She raised the point of what has best resale value if a worst case scenario happens in future?

We're talking 4wd, Crewmax, super white (with Pro suspension) vs
Super white TRD Pro.

Thoughts please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:28 PM

Thanked 5,766 Times in 3,340 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
No one knows for certain since Pros haven't been around long enough. But judging from how sought after they are (my local dealers can't keep them on their lots long enough for me to be able to see one), my money is on the Pro.

2010 Tundra, CM, 4x4, 5.7, TRD Off Road, Silver Sky Tundra Club #7, TWACC #100, RYRWDBTTBYCDI #7, Tri-State Club #21, Chrome Club #23, LTC #10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Toyota/TRD (Stepboards, Cat-Back, Intake, Hood Protector, Tow Mirrors), Pioneer (AVIC Z140BH & ND-BC5), Clazzio, Tint, Wheelskin, Line X (Extra/Color Match), ValuGard (Undercoat & Rust Inhibitor), Husky WeatherBeater, Westin Ult BB & Lights, Moto Metal 961, BW fender flares, BAKFlip F1, OME 614, LR UCA, UC SwingCases, Nitto Trail Grappler (295/70/18)
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
No crystal balls here, but with a question like that, any response in favor of one over another will start a hate war between the respective owners. Ever visited the Ford forums? The V8 guys constantly war against the Ecoboost guys and vice versa. So the best reply to your question is simply to say "it's a Toyota," and Toyotas hold a stronger resale value vs. the big 3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 TRD Pro Crew Max

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
The Following User Says Thank You to DBL TAP For This Useful Post:
5280mcs (02-09-2016)

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Garage
I would think that it's just a percentage of the sticker and then features that might be important in your area. I would want to keep a pro really pretty or people might think you thrashed it like a teenager in a raptor.

Hard to judge future value since it's so subjective.
In warm climates you might consider the cooled seats and moon roof.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
As the poster above indicates, I wouldn't dare purchase an off-road tailored vehicle used. Because the bells and whistles are becoming so saught after with newer vehicles, my guess is a Platnum/1794 will have the highest resale. I believe a Pro is about 45k msrp and a Platnum/1794 is about 49k + 2k in pro suspension. Don't quote me on those numbers though.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
as other have stated it is tough to say which one will have better resale value. with that said... IMHO the difference between a Tundra TRD Pro, Tundra 1794, and Tundra Platinum, will be almost non-existent. those are the three top trims of the same truck. If you were asking 4x4 vs 4x2, or regular cab vs crew the answer would be obvious, but I don't see any real difference in value/price between a used TRD Pro, and a 1794; if they are both 4x4 CM.

you stated that you would put the TRD Pro suspension on the non TRD Pro model. This could hurt value if the truck is still relatively new. perceived molestation of a vehicle is never good for value. If you would keep the TRD Pro completely stock IMO that would hold better value. It seems in all cases, being as much original as possible is better for a cars value.

2014 SR Work Truck Package Double Cab 4x4 4.6L Magnetic Grey Tundra.
Official tri-state club member #48
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 08:30 PM

@dforlenza the creature comforts are quite different from Pro to Platnum/1794:

Sunroof
Heated & cooled seats
BSM
12 way adjustable seats
Lexus grade leather
Dimming, blinker and puddle and folding side mirrors
Dual zone AC
JBL audio (depending on who you are, this may not be an upgrade)
DRL LED strip (headlights)

That's all I can think of at the moment...
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00PS View Post
@dforlenza the creature comforts are quite different from Pro to Platnum/1794:

Sunroof
Heated & cooled seats
BSM
12 way adjustable seats
Lexus grade leather
Dimming, blinker and puddle and folding side mirrors
Dual zone AC
JBL audio (depending on who you are, this may not be an upgrade)
DRL LED strip (headlights)

That's all I can think of at the moment...
Most of these features do not amount to much after 100K miles. maintenance, and care are more important to resale value IMHO. I sure would not pay any premium for a 6 year old truck with 100K miles because it had an led strip in the head light or dual zone climate. I would pay more for a use truck with 1 owner, a clean car fax, and all service records, in great condition. Sure they are nice things to have, but they are not great value adders years down the road. If the truck needs to be dumped in a year for financial or what ever reasons (OP stated this scenario) than you presumably would not want to hold out for a top dollar buyer any way. I know there are difference between them, but they are the top 3 (out of 6) trim levels for the same truck. It has the same engine, same 4x4 system, same cab and bed configuration, same transmission, same interior configuration; they only differ with small amenities / niceties. If it was an SR or an SR5 compared to a TRD Pro or 1794, the high trims have enough extra in them to add a quantitative amount of value.

resale is going to be a percentage of retail. I do not see any one particular trim level of 4x4 CM Tundra holding a better value ratio than any other trim level of the same truck. The one with the highest retail price will presumably be the most valuable used. But that does not make it a better expenditure of money.

Either way the Tundra holds value extremely well. the OP wont have any issue if they have to sell the truck at any point in the future.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I would think the 1794 and Platinum would keep their value a little bit better than the pro. Only because the Platinum and 1794 have a wider audience. Very few of the people you would sell to know or care about the features of the "Pro".

Don't get me wrong I have a Platinum and almost traded it for a Quicksand colored pro about a month ago. But we're the exception! Most people could care less about off road performance and prefer the bling.

2015 4X4 CrewMax Platinum in Magnetic Gray Metallic
Platinum Club Member #20
Magnetic Gray Metallic Club Member #196

Previous Tundras
2014 4X2 CrewMax Platinum in Magnetic Gray Metallic
2006 4X2 Access Cab Stepside Limited TRD Sport in Black
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 PM

Generally, Platnum/1794 means road queen. Pro means offroad focused audience.

Would you rather buy a Pro with 100k or a Platnum/1794 with 100k? For me, I'd rather not take that chance with a higher probability Joe Blow went jumping the truck because he saw a cool commercial. Sounds like long term issues I'd rather not have creep up.

Also, most people around here don't drive 16+k miles a year. Maybe 10k or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dforlenza View Post
Most of these features do not amount to much after 100K miles. maintenance, and care are more important to resale value IMHO. I sure would not pay any premium for a 6 year old truck with 100K miles because it had an led strip in the head light or dual zone climate. I would pay more for a use truck with 1 owner, a clean car fax, and all service records, in great condition. Sure they are nice things to have, but they are not great value adders years down the road. If the truck needs to be dumped in a year for financial or what ever reasons (OP stated this scenario) than you presumably would not want to hold out for a top dollar buyer any way. I know there are difference between them, but they are the top 3 (out of 6) trim levels for the same truck. It has the same engine, same 4x4 system, same cab and bed configuration, same transmission, same interior configuration; they only differ with small amenities / niceties. If it was an SR or an SR5 compared to a TRD Pro or 1794, the high trims have enough extra in them to add a quantitative amount of value.

resale is going to be a percentage of retail. I do not see any one particular trim level of 4x4 CM Tundra holding a better value ratio than any other trim level of the same truck. The one with the highest retail price will presumably be the most valuable used. But that does not make it a better expenditure of money.

Either way the Tundra holds value extremely well. the OP wont have any issue if they have to sell the truck at any point in the future.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00PS View Post
Generally, Platnum/1794 means road queen. Pro means offroad focused audience.

Would you rather buy a Pro with 100k or a Platnum/1794 with 100k? For me, I'd rather not take that chance with a higher probability Joe Blow went jumping the truck because he saw a cool commercial. Sounds like long term issues I'd rather not have creep up.

Also, most people around here don't drive 16+k miles a year. Maybe 10k or less.
I too would rather buy one that was not used off road. But if there was a 1 owner trd pro with full service records in great condition 100% stock; and a 1794 that was used as a rental car for 2 years, was than registered in FL, than made it's way up to me in NY, it had an aftermarket level kit, and no service history, I would buy the trd pro and I would spend more money on it.

Most people here might drive less, but the national average is 15K a year. Most people also don't take their TRD Pro off road.

Like I said before, maintenance and care taken of the vehicle will go further for resale regardless of trim level. keeping the truck stock also helps resale value.

Judging by the back and forth... It looks like I'm not the only one that finds the game boring.

Last edited by dforlenza; 02-07-2016 at 10:05 PM.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Toyota will eventually release a 1794 with the TRD Pro suspension.

Just basing it off the '13 Limited with the RW package.

Either way your wife will keep it in the divorce... Worst case future scenario of course.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
@ Canyonaro.

I can always sleep in the Truck, can't drive a house! LoL
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Garage
Look at this way, supply and demand. By the end of the '16 year model there will only be 7,000 Pro's on the streets, there will be significantly more Limited/Platinum/1794's. Priced used Raptors lately? '12-14 models with 30k+ miles are asking damn near MSRP, likely because they aren't making anymore currently, but if Toyota up and decides to stop Pro production, they will definitely hold their value over the other models. This is assuming of course you don't mod the hell out of it or abuse it.

Now assuming they keep making the Pro for the foreseeable future, I would expect they will have slightly more, but maybe not significantly more resale value than the others.

2016 TRD Pro CM - Quicksand
Toyo OC R/T 285/75/18 | Bora 1.25" spacers
TC UCA's | CB shims | CB +3 shackles
ICI Magnum bumper | NFab steps
UC Flex | Lock'er Down safe
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
IF Toyota really blows the redesign in 2018, then our trucks will be very desirable if they are clean, low miles and have well documented service. Example: the new Ford F150's have a lot of issues with the aluminum bodies, and more, so clean low mile 13 & 14's are holding value.

2016 TRD Pro Crew Max

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.