Best Resale Value in 5 years TRD Pro vs Platinum vs 1794 - Page 3 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 PM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,266 Times in 2,198 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Garage
I ended up in a 1794 due to it literally being the last 2014 on the lot back in December of 2014 that had 0% interest . Done deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Front tint*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*LowPro Rollup Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dforlenza View Post
Most of these features do not amount to much after 100K miles. maintenance, and care are more important to resale value IMHO. I sure would not pay any premium for a 6 year old truck with 100K miles because it had an led strip in the head light or dual zone climate.

Either way the Tundra holds value extremely well. the OP wont have any issue if they have to sell the truck at any point in the future.
Gonna have to agree with your last paragraph, but totally disagree with your first one.

To some people (as has been mentioned, warm climates especially) cooled or heated seats are a major benefit. Sure, you can add aftermarket heated leather seat covers - but those are never OEM/Lexus quality. But to add VENTILATED seats is nearly impossible when keeping a budget in mind. To others BSM may be a safety feature that is high on their importance list. Again, not easy to add.

On the other hand, suspension is a 100% bolt-in affair. Even a truck bed (with stamped sides, if you really must have them) is an expensive bolt-on affair. But probably not much more than ventilated seats (I would guess less).

Buying the "basic" accessories I need built into the base truck is what I look at when buying new or used. You can always add anything that bolts or unbolts...not so for something that is stitched, ducted or wired into the truck. It was very cunning of Toyota to reserve the ventilated seats and lexus leather for the top grade truck. Otherwise I would have been fine with an SR5. Either one will get a lift, wheels/tires and accessories. And thats all the PRO really gets you besides exclusivity. They got my money and would on a used truck purchase also!
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't look at the trim level specs much since i bought my truck... what trims have bsm? Does it also come with rear cross traffic and forward collision mittagation? The saftey package is somthing that will help hold value in the future; being that they will become standard and any car with out them will seem outdated. Much like backup cams, or air bags. We just bought a new car for my wife, and she was only willing to look at cars / trims with the full active saftey package.

Personally I would rather buy a toyota without the other amenities (heated/ventilated seats, auto climate ect) than a dodge or ford with them. Especially a used one. I guess its a matter of preference though. I got everything i wanted in my base SR, the rest wasnt worth the money to me. Most people would not consider the SR because of how few bells and whistles it has...

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
I'm very biased but to me the Inferno first year PRO is more interesting and stands out in the whole line up. That's why we got one.
Possible investment material. Remember, these sold almost exclusively at MSRP, the Platinums and 1794s were commonly discounted.

2005 Tundra, Carolina Dirt Road Metallic (traded)
2007 Tundra XS-P, dark green. Perhaps the very best overall vehicle I've ever owned, traded for:
2015 Land Cruiser (brief fling)
2015 Tundra TRD pro, Inferno dual cab
Lotus cars: 1974 Europa, 2005 Elise (track prep), 2011 Evora S
2015 Honda Civic Si It's orange too
Nissan Z cars: 2007 350Z, 2010 370Z 40th, 2016 370Z Nismo
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
You need to look no further than Raptor VS. F150 Platinum. Raptor's resale value and overall fun value is so much greater than the F150, there's no comparison.
I'd vote PRO any day.

2014 CrewMax SR5 4X4 5.7L: 2" MotoFab leveling Kit, 2Crave NX-5 wheels(5X150 +15 offset to fill in fender flares space), 275/60R20XL Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Tires, VLEDs Triton V3 Switchbacks, TRS Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights, CCI Chrome Grille, Spyder Headlights, Extang Solid Fold, Texas Edition, Leather, Nav, JBL, OEM Flares, Husky WeatherBeaters, Silver Sky Club #136
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I vote PRO too! Bells and whistles is nothing compared to quality suspension.

2014 Tundra Limited DoubleCab
BFG KO2
Bilstein 6112
Morimoto LED Fogs
RX350 Retrofit w/Panamera DRL shrouds/Custom LED & Diffuser

.........eat my dust pony cars
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
I see our PRO as a potential collector's item. We're going to keep miles low. No way will the suspension or mechanicals be modified in any way. Steps, tonneau, bedrug, sway bar, floor mats yes. But all reversible.

Even if we never sell it's nice to have something of value. And not neccessarily monetary value. The value of having something well kept.

It will be used and enjoyed but never abused. Not a garage queen (King?) but proudly respected.

2005 Tundra, Carolina Dirt Road Metallic (traded)
2007 Tundra XS-P, dark green. Perhaps the very best overall vehicle I've ever owned, traded for:
2015 Land Cruiser (brief fling)
2015 Tundra TRD pro, Inferno dual cab
Lotus cars: 1974 Europa, 2005 Elise (track prep), 2011 Evora S
2015 Honda Civic Si It's orange too
Nissan Z cars: 2007 350Z, 2010 370Z 40th, 2016 370Z Nismo
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokahpolice View Post
LMAO, when's the last time you rented a vehicle? I can promise you that there are ZERO (yes Zero) 1794 Edition V8 Tundras that get 12MPG at any rental companies.
I agree with the 1794 but have rented an SR5 and Limited from Hertz also a Chevy 1500 LTZ

2014 1794 Crewmax-TRD 22s, LED Light bar, Corsa Black sport exhaust, Morimoto D2S retrofit, XB LED fogs, AMP power steps.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebedsilva View Post
Me personally, I didn't like the 1794 Interior. It's nice, yes, but idk...i saw the seats tearing up in the near future. Ended up with a Platinum.
They are the same leather right? just different colors.

2014 1794 Crewmax-TRD 22s, LED Light bar, Corsa Black sport exhaust, Morimoto D2S retrofit, XB LED fogs, AMP power steps.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansto82 View Post
They are the same leather right? just different colors.
Nope, the 1794 has suede inserts and different piping on the seats. I was in the same boat, liked the color but hated the piping and suede inserts. I am in and out of the truck all day with wet waders/ clothes and the suede would be destroyed. My platinum seats still look brand new with 70k on them, whereas my hunting buddy who has a 1794 with 9k on it, his look trashed.

16 Crewmax 4x4 Platinum Magnetic Grey - stage 3 ICON lift, coachbuilder +3 and spacers, 275/65/20 at2, moto metal 962-0 offset, Corsa exhaust, colormatched mirrors/ handles, billet tundra insert, stubby antenna, AMP powersteps, weathertechs, plastidipped grill insert, Leer topper, black thule aero bars, titan rod vault, full led swap, VLEDS LED headlights, Spod box,Rigid dually floods, 32 light bar in bumper, 40 in top of grill, 32in light bar on rear thule bar, bushwhacker extenda flares, hypertech, hardwire radar + mount, TRD sway bar DECKED truck bed organizer,
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:07 PM
SP
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENG View Post
I vote PRO too! Bells and whistles is nothing compared to quality suspension.

Yes you can never add that :-p

Front tint*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*LowPro Rollup Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
I'm very biased but to me the Inferno first year PRO is more interesting and stands out in the whole line up. That's why we got one.
Possible investment material. Remember, these sold almost exclusively at MSRP, the Platinums and 1794s were commonly discounted.

When the Pro line was launched the Inferno color was what was featured in a lot of magazines and in online reviews so for many it'll be associated with the introduction of the Pro. When they stopped making the Tundra Pro in that Inferno color it makes for an exclusive club. Same can be said of the Black.

Color wise Inferno looks better in real life than in some photos which may help explain people still going out of their way to me saying "great looking truck". That still catches me by surprise.

I would still buy the Inferno color vs the other colors but that's not to take away from how good the Tundra PRO looks in other colors, it's just subjective.

Like you I am very biased towards the inferno color and have zero regrets with the truck or the color. I enjoy driving it everyday.

2015 TRD PRO DC, color Inferno
Spray-in bedliner,N-FAB cab length Nerf bars, window tint.
Virginia Beach purchased on 11-28-14

TRD PRO Tundra club #3
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 01:17 PM
SP
Premium Member

Garage
I do love the inferno red though it's hot

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
I ended up in a 1794 due to it literally being the last 2014 on the lot back in December of 2014 that had 0% interest . Done deal.

Any regrets?

I'm currently looking at a used 1794 and the only thing holding me back is the interior. I generally much prefer a black interior, but I've been looking for awhile and the only platinums I've seen have been higher mileage or in worse condition.

I want to like the 1794, I'm just not 100% sure that if I buy it I wont end up regretting it later. Somewhat limited in options buying used and I'm not sure if I should just do it, or keep waiting/looking until I can find exactly what I want (and who knows how long that will be).
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:48 AM
SP
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxJDxx View Post
Any regrets?

I'm currently looking at a used 1794 and the only thing holding me back is the interior. I generally much prefer a black interior, but I've been looking for awhile and the only platinums I've seen have been higher mileage or in worse condition.

I want to like the 1794, I'm just not 100% sure that if I buy it I wont end up regretting it later. Somewhat limited in options buying used and I'm not sure if I should just do it, or keep waiting/looking until I can find exactly what I want (and who knows how long that will be).
no regrets , only trading in my 2008 TRD tundra DC for the 4runner in the first place, the 1794 gets so any complements on the interior, the only downside is the Swede inserts. I hate to use it as a work truck. get the 1794 and join the club. you can also de-Chrome it later as budget allows

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.