User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Fuel Tank - 26.5 gallons?

Can somebody explain to me why Toyota says this thing has a 26.5 gallon tank? I ran mine today until it said I had a range of 0 miles, went a few more miles with the gas gauge sitting on the "E" and filled up with it only holding 21 gallons???

I really would like to use those other 5 gallons, then you are talking about 400+ miles per tank easily.

Mine: 2007 Tundra CM, S/C 5.7L, silver sky metallic, 4x4, nav, rear DVD, BHM, Bilstein 5100's, TRD rear anti-sway Bar, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ on 20" Ultra Goliath chrome wheels, Bushwacker PS fender flares, debadged, dual 2.5" Raceland Exhaust cutouts routed in front of rear tire,

***Running Torque on Samsung Galaxy Tab***

Hers: 2007 Yukon SLT-1, 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was told by the dealer in Paris that the Tundra has a capacity of around 26 gallons. Then they told me that you will never get more in it than 21-23 when you fill up at the pump. I guess when the guage reads E...its to let you know that you're about out of gas....when in actuality you probably have a few more gallons left in reserve.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:08 PM

Gas Tank capasity

I have an 07 DC, 5.7Ltr. Bought 7/14/07. I have had the same issue. I had the dealer check it out when on E and the technician said he could only put 19.8 gallons in. It's going in again tomorrow with it on E. They will run it out of gas and then fill it. When the low gas light came on the Info center today it read I had 15 miles left, I have driven it 28 miles and still going. The info center says I now have 3 miles left in tank. I talked with customer care at 1-800-331-4331 opt 1 and have a case number. They said that nobody else has complained. I suggest to every Tundra owner to call and complain about this problem. I will update this after they refill my tank tomorrow, 12/28/07. Even the Factory Rep who has a 07 Tundra said the same thing, he has never put in more than 20 gallons of gas when close to empty. Something strange here.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Tundra 07 View Post
Can somebody explain to me why Toyota says this thing has a 26.5 gallon tank? I ran mine today until it said I had a range of 0 miles, went a few more miles with the gas gauge sitting on the "E" and filled up with it only holding 21 gallons???

I really would like to use those other 5 gallons, then you are talking about 400+ miles per tank easily.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 PM

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,022 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Your not supposed to run a vehicle that is fuel injected and has an electric fuel pump out of fuel anyhow. It shortens the life of the fuel pump, and clogs fuel injectors. I never let any of my vehicles get below a quarter of a tank. Plus I never have to worry about running out of fuel. Its just so much easier to keep the top half of the tank full and not worry about being able to make it to the next gas station.

Just be happy your getting over 300 miles on a tank of fuel. My 88 F250 I was lucky to get about 250 miles on 32 gallons of fuel. And that was running empty.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:31 AM

Wildbill23c,
I agree with filling up at a 1/4 tank, I also do that. But in this case a 1/4 tank is not a quarter tank. An accurate fuel gauge would be nice. I think it may have to do with keeping the overall cost of a fill-up down. Less fuel, less cost to fill up. The actual operating cost, and MPG are the same but psychologically a $70 fill up is not as bad as a $90 dollar fill up.

Mike
#6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 PM

I've been told it's the "idiot factor!" Service shops and Toyota would receive far more complaints if people were running outta gas as soon as it hits "E." It's to bad that the gas gauge and the miles left counter aren't independent where the gauge shows "E", but the counter shows actual miles till completely empty.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 10:40 PM

I just filled my '07 up for the 1rst time. Fuel light came on, and I hit a station about 3 miles later. Gas gauge was reading slightly less than 1/8. Added 22.962 gal. Seemed about right to me.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 10:54 PM

Yes, I have always tried to keep at least a 1/4 tank of fuel in any fuel injected vehicle that had an internal fuel pump. The fuel in the tank is what actually keeps the fuel pump cool. The worst thing for electrical components is heat, so the more fuel in the tank the better. My issue is that my average mpg has varied between 15-16 mpg but when I fill up my truck the fuel range resets to 300-305 miles. Do the math if I am averaging even 15 mpg x 26 gallons = 390 miles????????????????????????????????? Whats up with that????
#9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:45 AM

Talking Knowledge is power

Guys I have owned the Fj cruiser and now the Tundra. They both have the same kind of fuel tank system, just different sizes. Our Tundra tanks are 26.4 gallons. The range that the computer shows you have left are based on Toyota's recommended safety fill up point to keep someone from running out of gas. If you want to know exactly how much gas you have left in your tank, when your light comes on, it is simple. Next time your light comes on, immediately pull into the nearest gas station and fill up your truck. Also remember to take note of actually how many gallons you just put in your tank. Now subtract that # from the 26.4 gallons the tank holds and you will know exactly how many gallons of gas you will have left, when your light comes on. What I do now is just reset my (b) trip meter when ever my light comes on. You will find that you will still have 4-5 gallons of gas left when that light comes on. Now multiply that # my your average mpg. Believe me, I have tested this and the last time I filled up, I stretched it really far and had to put in a little over 25 gallons of gas to fill it back up. So yes, you can easily get 400 miles per gallon. I recommend every body does this with there cars just for the fact of knowing how far they could go if needing to when their light comes on. Please try it you will see.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 AM

Fuel Tank Capacity 26.09

I brought my Tundra in last Friday with it just about on E. They drove it, let it idle outside, drove it and it finally ran out of gas. They put in 5 gallons drove it to the station and filled it. it took 21.09 gallons. They agree that the fuel low light came on too early, little more than an 1/8 of a tank. They are sending all the information back to California for evaluation. They said it may need to be reprogrammed. There should only be a 2 gallon reserve, not 5 or 6 gallon. I never let my truck get below 1/2 tank anyway, but the gauge and miles left in tank should read accurately. When I fill up I only get 300 mile to go.

One other item I noticed, with hauling my double wide enclosed snowmobile trailer in tow/haul mode, I got better gas mileage than with it off driving without towing anything. Looks like I may have that on all the time. mmmmmmmm

Steve
#11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:23 PM

The only thing I dont like is the gas gauge. I think the best fix would be a larger tank. I hate stopping so much for gas. I drive so far past the E it is discusting and still have never put more then 24.5 gallons in this truck.
#12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM

I've never put more than 21 gallons in my truck and that is with it running all the way down to E.

I think 5-6 gallon reserve is too much also. The reserve in my Mazda 6 was 2-3 gallons when the light came on, which was out of an 18 gallon tank.

2007 Tundra CM 5.7 White/Silver TRD
Linex Bedliner
#13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliderNC View Post
I've never put more than 21 gallons in my truck and that is with it running all the way down to E.

I think 5-6 gallon reserve is too much also. The reserve in my Mazda 6 was 2-3 gallons when the light came on, which was out of an 18 gallon tank.
Ahh, but the Mazda had 60 to 90 miles left once the light came on (2 or 3 x 30mpg). The Tundra needs double the reserve to go the same distance. If you're out in BFE and that light comes on you'll be real glad you've got 6 gallons left in the tank.

I don't have an issue with where the light comes on, but I do wish the trip computer was more accurate as to the distance left.

Keith in Katy, TX
2007 Toyota Tundra TRD Double Cab

#14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 07:01 PM

i just filled my truck up yesterday i and i got almost 20 gals i spent around 60 something for that
#15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My last tank I went ~30 miles after the Range indicated that I had 0 miles left...I didnt push it because I didnt have a gas can in the back. But it still only took 23.5 gallons, so I had another 3 left in there.

I think 400 miles is easily obtainable every time if your averaging more than 16 mpg, should be no worries...

Mine: 2007 Tundra CM, S/C 5.7L, silver sky metallic, 4x4, nav, rear DVD, BHM, Bilstein 5100's, TRD rear anti-sway Bar, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ on 20" Ultra Goliath chrome wheels, Bushwacker PS fender flares, debadged, dual 2.5" Raceland Exhaust cutouts routed in front of rear tire,

***Running Torque on Samsung Galaxy Tab***

Hers: 2007 Yukon SLT-1, 4x4

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion