Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Does You Tundra Frequently Get Windshield Cracks?

6K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  r8der 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently upgraded from a 2003 Tundra to a 2013 Tundra and have had 2 windshield cracks in the first week of owning it.... I had that amount in 8 years of owning my previous Tundra.

My driving style is no different, so I am wondering if these newer bigger body Tundras are more susceptible to windshield cracks since the windshield is much larger and at a different angle or am I just having bad luck with this new truck?

#5 ·
I've got several right now but putting off doing it because I have the whole windshield 3m crystalline and not looking forward to paying it to be done again. Mine are from doing 85 on the highway and cars and trucks passing me throwing rocks. If I went the speed limit I'm sure I would be less prone.

#9 ·
Driving style has a lot to do with windshield cracks. Road debris and rocks don't fly on their own. You get hit by them when another vehicle kicks them up. If you tailgate people you will find you get a lot more chips than if you stay way back. Also, when you drive fast, the objects will hit your vehicle harder than if you drive slow. An object hitting you at 50 mph may just bounce off the windshield, while that same object at 80 may chip it.

I'm not suggesting the OP has driving style to blame, just pointing out that it absolutely does have an impact on how many chips you will get.

#7 ·
I had a run of bad luck where I got 3 or 4 in a few months. Nothing in the few years I had it before that, nothing in the couple years since.

#8 ·
I got 3 chips in 15 minutes last year on my way home one evening. Turned in to a nice huge crack that spans from one side to the other. Just crappy luck.

#14 ·
I've come to the conclusion that I am not allowed to have a crack or chip free windshield in anything I drive...Ever.

If I go 2 months with out a chip or crack, I'm pretty happy.

My Tundra has a crack that runs horizontal along the bottom. I ain't changing it. The new one will just crack in 2 months. The crack I got now isn't in my vision, so it stays. I got other shit to worry about.

#15 ·
Jeez, you guys live in the wrong part of the country; '07 with 118,000 miles, most of which is driven in the winter with a ton of salt/sand(read rocks) on the roads between me and my snowmobiling destination, a 380 mile trip one way. Original wind shield that may be a little sand blasted, but no chips and no cracks. I probably just shot myself in the foot;DAMN

#17 ·
4 visits from I-17 Flagstaff to Phoenix w/5 chips already. Whats wrong with this windshield. I use to live in Puerto Rico where trucks doesn;t use covers or tents to cover debris from falling and never have a crack in any of my other vehicles including a Corolla 2012. now here where I barely see debris on the side road and practically every time I take a trip downtown i have and incident...

#19 ·
I've had mine for over 7 years and no actual cracks, though maybe 3 small chips

#20 ·
I didn't have any cracks with my '10 Tundra. Got one in my '14 Tundra windshield within three months of owning. Got the crack sealed and still have the original factory windshield. Not yet worth breaking that factory seal to put in a new one. I hear they aren't cheap either.

#21 ·
I really think its where you do the majority of your driving (i.e. highway vs surface streets in town, etc). I have a '10 CM that I drove up and down I35 btwn San Antonio and the DFW area regularly for 4 years, and had 1 windshield replaced after getting a few nice windshield cracks, also w/in the 1st 4 months of owning it, got a few nice paint chips in the hood (but that's prob due to the super thin paint layer that Toyota uses). Since moving to Tucson, and of course doing quite a bit of highway driving from there back and forth to Texas, up to Montana, etc, I got another decent windshield crack, that I lived w for a while, but once again had my windshield replaced (free under AZ law). Safelite windshields are the way to go....a combo of driving style, where we drive the most, and the fact that our trucks ride considerably higher than cars, equal more cracks than usual...in my opinion

#22 ·
Here are my two current ones, they don't even bother me anymore but need to get it replaced. Fl replaces it for free but that does not include OEM replacement as it's around $6-$700 replacement credit, Oem is over $1200.

Hard to see in this pic but long crack on the left and chip on the right.

#24 ·
I have had two windshields break on my 2007 both due to thermal / stress cracking during the winter months.

Each time I was going down the road with the heater on during some cold winter days, I heard a loud bang, like I got with hit with something large, it startled me both times. I look around, nothing seems wrong at first, then I find the windshield is cracked above the defrost heater vents and the crack runs the entire length of the windshield. Same crack both times, good thing is they curl to the bottom of the windshield and don't tend to spread upwards and totally ruin your vision. My experience so far.

#25 ·
jsarms1 where are you driving where you are being passed doing 85mph that often? I live in Houston and we have fast drivers but usually doing 85mph keeps most all people from passing lol

#28 ·
i had my windshield cracked while it was parked on the lot at work. it was some groundskeeping crew had cracked it while using a weed whacker that flung a rock. of course they denied it, however, along with the crack on my windshield were grass clippings. i ended up picking up the cost on my own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.