Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2015 Tundra Platinum, NOT so happy!

47K views 204 replies 58 participants last post by  gb steel 
#1 · (Edited)
Well here I am going in to my second month of ownership with my new 2015 Platinum. When I purchased the truck I worked the TRD skid plate, exhaust and sway bar in to the deal.

So this weekend I was finishing up my lift with the Differential drop. In order to do this I needed to drop the TRD skid plate. In doing so my first disappointment was pulling off the tow hooks only to find that Toyota did not deem it necessary to fully e-coat the tow hooks which allows for rust to begin immediately on them. So I had to strip them down, prime and repaint them. So while I was at it a color change was in order. But that did not take away from my disappointment.

The next big item was finding a pool of oil on my skid plate. Which if it were from an oil change I wouldn't be so pissed. But its not. Mind you the truck is 4 weeks old with 2100 miles on it, so I am extremely disappointed with oil pooling. It appears to be coming from around the transmission bell housing, I would say rear main seal, but it is not only coming from the oil drip hole in the transmission bell housing, it is also coming from the drivers side of the transmission.

3rd fun one is my HVAC mode doors are not working. When you have it set for the floor it comes out the dash outlets.

So out of the gate I am already having quality issues. So much for Toyota reliability.

See less See more
#2 ·
We here I am going in to my second month of ownership with my new 2015 Platinum. When I purchased the truck I worked the TRD skid plate, exhaust and sway bar in to the deal.

So this weekend I was finishing up my lift with the Differential drop. In order to do this I needed to drop the TRD skid plate. In doing so my first disappointment was pulling off the tow hooks only to find that Toyota did not deem it necessary to fully e-coat the tow hooks which allows for rust to begin immediately on them. So I had to strip them down, prime and repaint them. So while I was at it a color change was in order. But that did not take away from my disappointment.

The next big item was finding a pool of oil on my skid plate. Which if it were from an oil change I wouldn't be so pissed. But its not. Mind you the truck is 4 weeks old with 2100 miles on it, so I am extremely disappointed with oil pooling. It appears to be coming from around the transmission bell housing, I would say rear main seal, but it is not only coming from the oil drip hole in the transmission bell housing, it is also coming from the drivers side of the transmission.

3rd fun one is my HVAC mode doors are not working. When you have it set for the floor it comes out the dash outlets.

So out of the gate I am already having quality issues. So much for Toyota reliability.

I would venture out on a limb and say you have the Cam Tower Oil Leak. Look up in your fender wells on both sides and be careful but run your fingers around the bottom of the heads (while the engine is cold if you're common sense challenged lol) see if you find any oil.

#3 ·
I will check that out tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: BIG POPPA77
#6 ·
I had my tow hooks taken off to put a new bumper on. They came off at day 2 and there is just a small amount of rust. After looking at them carefully, I'm wondering if they were coated after assembly to the frame? I can see where this could be a problem over time.

Attachments

Reactions: Vector W8
#8 ·
I'd say you have two issues, in priority order:

1. The oil leak
2. HVAC issue

The tow hooks are probably representative of the industry standard. I am not saying that it is right, just that it is normal.

I will go look at mine and see what they look like.

Frank

#9 ·
Wow. I almost bought a 2014 1794 and now I'm glad I didn't. It seems that the '14s & '15s are just not as reliable as previous generations. AIPs, cam towers, rust issues, FFV issues and electrical gremlins have me holding off on dropping 40-50K. I think I'll hold on to my 2007 w/ 126K miles on it until I see an up tick toward the Toyota reliability we're used to. It's a shame; there are some hella nice looking 3rd gens on here too.

#52 ·
I agree, I miss my 08 TRD. No problems other than the water pump leak that was common. I dont feel like my 2014 was built as the 2008 was. I feel like it was rushed thew the plant. You guys with the previous generations are not missing much, Toyota put more electronics into the 4wd system They put in a borg-warner transfer case that needed to be changed from the get go. Toyota should have let well enough alone with the old tranfer case and that old ECU that controlled the 4wd. The new 4wd system sucks compared to the old gen.

#11 ·
These are not Gen 3. I wish they were. They are barely Gen 2.5. I have heard of some issues. None on mine yet (fingers crossed). I work with a great dealership that would remedy any of these situation sif they came up. The only concrete, across-the board difference I've heard of and noticed myself is the throttle sensitivity which was a common complaint in the 07-13 line up. My '11 was so dang touchy. Tricky off road moves were rough dur to that thing wanting to take off like a stuck pony. They have re-mapped the throttle control and it's much smoother now. And if you want that snappy action, just turn o n the tow haul mode. But it does suck that some 14-15 owners are havin a tough time. But like I said, a good dealership will fix that stuff.

Reactions: SDTundra
#12 ·
After 11 years with my Titan LE, I was so bummed at the 2016 looks. Same gas engine, disappointing little 5.0 Cummins. I made the decision to jump ship and see what all the amazing Toyota reliability was all about. The Tundra is nice looking, interior is decent, but it's proving to be as reliable as my first Gen Dodge Ram which spent more time in the shop than on the road.

The big bummer about this , for me is having it repaired by a dealer. It's all about flat rate and they don't care if things get damaged in the process. And I am a dealers worst nightmare 28 years as a ASE certified Master Mechanic (9 categories) and 30 years as an automotive Engineering Manager. I am particular about how things are done.

I am not so sure this is going to be a good thing.

#17 ·
I think you have some bad luck. This isn't representative of the overall higher quality in Toyotas versus any other truck out there. If you can even mention your Ram and a Tundra in the same sentence, you're clearly speaking out of emotion and not as a "master mechanic". There is NO comparison between Toyota and any other GM, Ford, or Chrysler I've ever owned, from a reliability standpoint.

#13 · (Edited)
As for the TRD skid plate, it is a decent piece, it doesn't protect as much as I would like it to. It covers up to the front of the transmission . So the Trans is fully exposed. I wish they had a skid plate for the gas tank etc. My Titan LE Off Road had skid plates on everything. I liked that extra layer of protection. Things not offered on the Tundra.

#14 ·
The Tundra goes in to the dealer on Monday. we will see how that goes.

#15 ·
I hope you get it all worked out, but I also hope you are not one of those guys that'll never be happy regardless and continue to tell us all about how Toyota hasn't lived up to the "hype" or your Titan of Ram. I truly don't mean any offense by saying that, and I hope you end up loving the truck, just the feeling I get by reading your posts.

#23 · (Edited)
Oh I am hoping to be one of those people who just loves my truck. Things are just not starting off on the right foot. The dealer I purchased the truck from was great to deal with. I was satisfied with that , but I am already on the defensive side with their service department. When I pulled down my TRD skid plate that they installed I found two stripped nuts from the service tech just railing the bolts in with his impact wrench without starting the threads by hand to make sure they were engaged. So that was not good.

I am just being honest when it comes to other brands I have owned. I am by no means brand loyal, but I will admit I have purchased 2 Nissans that I loved. My Nismo 350Z has been flawless, and my Titan was a excellent truck.

I was happer than a pig in poop when mama gave me the go ahead to buy a new truck. It was with great hesitation that I let the Titan go. But it was 11 years old. So I was extremely hopeful that the Tundra with its 385hp was going to be just the ticket. Especially since Toyota has the TRD supercharger. I would love to add that. But spending an extra 5K+ for that right now doesn't seem wise unless we get the mechanical issues straightened out with the truck first.

As for the Dodges, I wouldn't say either of my 3500 1 ton Dually's were any good the first one was purchased back by Dodge under lemon law, and the second one I traded in on my Titan when at 37 months old with 17000 miles on it (It was a garage queen that never saw rain or show, just a show truck to pull my show cars with) the entire perimeter of the truck perfed through with rust. So that was the end of my love affair with Dodge. (At the time I was working at CTC) So when I purchased the Titan I was not well received at work. But the truck proved to be pretty much bullet proof.

Reactions: morser77
#16 ·
I am very sorry to hear about your new ride's shakedown cruise gremlins. A self lubricating chassis = shades of a 1973 Dodge Coronet, complete with requiring garage drip pans. Is it Toyota's new answer for frame rust prevention: a light coating of motor oil sprayed randomly on the chassis? What is your truck's build month; could it have been made while there was one too many christmas parties going on at the factory?

#20 ·
I do need to look and see what day and month she was built on. Maybe a Monday or Friday truck. Or just before Christmas Shutdown. :crying:

#22 ·
Ahhh yes and now you know why I am in the land of Toyota instead of replacing my old Titan with a new one. Nissan took a wrong turn and made a half hearted effort to copy a lot of Ford and some GM then made the bed look like it came from a mid size truck. Nothing is proportionate on that vehicle.

Reactions: Joshhtn
#24 ·
I had a rear main oil seal leak on my 2014 after 5k miles. I talked to a "customer service advocate" from the dealership who gave me little more than a dog-and-pony show. So I emailed toyota_cares@toyota.com telling them about the issue on my brand new truck and how I was less than pleased. They contacted me after about a week offering a 7 year/100k mile warranty on the truck at no cost.

#25 ·
i can say my 15 sr5 tss 4x4 now has right at 6800 miles on it and no problems at all. Sorry to hear about your problems. Bought a 14 ram diesel half ton and after 4 months sold it due to shop time. Loved the engine and tranny just all the other electronics /epa and sensors that I could not handle and sold it outright. Had an 09 Ridgeline before that and put 156k on it trouble free minus normal service but they are inbetween trucks and do not offer a new Ridgeline until the new model comes out. So I test drove all the others Chevy/Ford/Gmc and Toyota. Tacoma was too small and not comfortable. The new Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon was too small also. Ridgeline road much better than those two and had more room. Drove the Silverado and GMC counter part and liked it fine but didn't like the interior at all. Liked the Ford interior and outside of the f150 still not my favorite but I do like the 15s better and thought about one of them but liked the looks and interior best on the Tundra. MPG sucks compared to others but like the truck more. I am not a brand guy at all. First choice with no Ridgeline being made was Ram ecodiesel and really liked it and got 26 mpg averaged loved the way it rode and drove but as I said too many rattles and in the shop too many times over 4 months. Probably good truck and I just got a bad one. I know others were also having issues with the sensors and emissions also. I like Toyota better but wanted diesel and the mpg with it but didn't work out for me. Didn't want the Ram Hemi or gas engine like Toyota better just wanted the Ecodiesel. Cant wait till next year to see the new Ridgeline and the new Titan in person. Hopefully Toyota comes out with new Tundra that has much better mpg and stuff but if not I am happy. I really like this truck. Love the back window. Plus really comfortable.

#28 ·
I like the no brand loyalty here. We'll teach them maker rascals alright. Don't do right by us, hey, we're gone to a different brand truck! I think, not certain, but I think Toyota is doing fair in standing by its customers.

Anyway, OP, I sure hope ye Tundra gets fixed!

#30 ·
I've owned Toyotas since the early 90's, and a lot of that is because Toyota stands behind their product. I had a 90 4Runner that had the dreaded head gasket issue well out of warranty that Toyota footed the bill for, unsolicited, because they said it was "unacceptable."

Judging from what I read, that concern for quality no longer exists at Toyota. I didn't do significant research before buying my Tundra, because I just assumed. This cam tower issue scares me, because it appears to be common. It also appears that Toyota has known of this issue for some time and have been unable, or unwilling to fix this issue. To me, it's unfathomable that they are putting $50k trucks on the lots that possibly have this issue. If my truck falls victim to this and Toyota doesn't fix it no questions asked, I will never buy another Toyota as long as I live.

Every company has issues, but to allow such a major, expensive issue to continue in production just doesn't register with me.

#31 ·
I went from Dodge to the. Tundra because everybody I spoke with who owned one said theirs was bulletproof. You are the first person I've heard of describing their Titan as bulletproof. I guess everybody gets lucky occasionally...or unlucky as well.

Reactions: Blair T
#35 ·
could always go back to the darkside, I have 37K trouble free and counting:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:>:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.