Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Rear Defrost Sucks, Crewmax

4K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  hberry 
#1 ·
Does anyone else with a Crewmax think the rear defrost sucks? Compared to all the rentals I drive, the rear defrost takes forever in the Tundra and seems to just barely do its job. Is this the same for everyone or should I have dealer look at it when I get it serviced next week?

#4 ·
Yeah I'll tell them to look at that too. They have a laundry list of stuff to do, they'll be so happy.

#6 ·
Come on man, it gets humid there, you need to use it some mornings. :D

#10 ·
Mine works great! It got used a lot this Winter for sure...

Reactions: blazman234
#11 ·
mine works great. do you have heated mirrors? are you using the right button? sorry but have to ask lots of people on here who never look at the manual.

Reactions: ColoradoTJ
#12 ·
Yes I have heated mirrors. The heat for mirrors turns on when I turn the rear defrost on. It's the rear defrost button right under the front defrost button.

It's a 13 platinum crewmax

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#15 ·
I have recently started to have the same issue in my 07 double cab, mirrors heat up just fine but it seems like the rear sliding window takes ages...

#25 ·
Mines only a month old and I noticed it was slow also to the point I stopped and scraped it off,Im sure I used the right button ,it lights up.Have to check it out next time .Would really not want to have to use it at all ,Im sick of this crap!!!!!!!!:D

#17 ·
#18 ·
My defroster works perfect on my CM.

#20 ·
Works great here too. Almost instant defrosting upon hitting the button.

#21 ·
Have no complaints about mine. Works great.

#22 ·
mine melts snow pretty fast.

#23 ·
Looks like everyone's work but mine. It's on the list of things to be checked.

#24 ·
Your not alone dude, mine is acceptable at best in my 14. Coming from both a 1st gen Colorado and an 11 Frontier, I can say 100% mine is not up too the level of those. My CM heats up unevenly (bottom corners, then top, then center) so much so that I originally thought the element had been cut in the center, but it eventually catches up and defrosts the whole window in a few minutes. After reading this though I'm guessing our factory installer was just asleep that on the job that day! Add it too the list!

#26 ·
Do you have a bed cover? I don't clean the snow off my bed cover well, if I bother at all. I find the rear defrost makes the window damp, so the snow from the bed cover blows back and sticks to the damp glass. It actually seems to make it worse. My fault for not cleaning it, but I've had better luck leaving it off in the snow.

#28 ·
Does it work when the truck is sitting idle? Truck beds are weird and create some sort of wind vortex back there and blows air back onto the rear window. They are not streamline like a passenger car. Mine works fine when the truck is parked but once you get up to speed it definitely slows down.

#30 ·
It sucks no matter what. I have to go back to the dealer next week to get my front windshield replaced under warranty so I am going to have them look at it then. I forgot to mention it when I was in last week because I had so much other crap for them to look at.

#29 ·
My rear window takes about 3 to 5 minutes to start to defrost. And the passenger side mirror almost instantly start to defrost but the driver side one takes 3 to 5 minutes just like the rear window. I found this annoying at first but learned to live with it. Heck, even my heated seats takes at least 5 minutes for heat to kick in.

#33 ·
Not my fault you made the poor decision to buy a DC instead of the Mighty CrewMax! >:D

Reactions: StevenD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.