Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

0-20 oil change

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  TundraFish 
#1 ·
Someone brought up on yahoo's financial Toyota message board that if one changes the oil in their new Toyota BEFORE it hits 10K miles they, Toyota, might void the new vehicle warranty?

Why would Toyota be opposed to such actions if the respective owner abides by manufacture recommendations regarding the type/brand of oil and filter???

#2 ·
I just read the post.... think about it, how would they know if you changed your oil prior? I suspect its just someone shooting their mouth off with no basis....
Oh wait... that couldn't happen its on the internet, so it must be true.!

I'm changing mine at 5K overkill that's fine I tow a lot with my 7k lb travel trailer... do you think I would run 10K heck no!

#3 ·
Ditto that

I just read the post.... think about it, how would they know if you changed your oil prior? I suspect its just someone shooting their mouth off with no basis....
Oh wait... that couldn't happen its on the internet, so it must be true.!

I'm changing mine at 5K overkill that's fine I tow a lot with my 7k lb travel trailer... do you think I would run 10K heck no!

#5 ·
Some one please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the "need service" light click on every 5k miles? I have an 08 and haven't exactly tracked the mileage but it seems to be around there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
That's what I thought. So it doesn't quite make sense that Toyota would penalize people for doing what they engineered in to the system.

As the majestic musical band Beck states: don't believe everything that you breath. You'll get a parking violation and a maggot on your sleeve

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
I wish I could afford a new tundra. I would be all over the. my brother has a 14 1794 CM with the fancy red color (can't remember the exact name of the color) and that thing is sweet.

#10 ·
Not only is that absurd, it's illegal. people say stupid things every day.

#12 ·
Which Toyota? The 5.7 FFV is 5k (or was); I've been eyeing Yaris and those are 5k. Toyota wants tire rotations every 5k so I suspect everything they sell will have a "come back in 5k" sticker which may or may not get pressure to do an oil change also--my local dealer never pressured us to do other than 10k changes on my Camry yet I came in every 5k for a rotation (part of the prepaid service).

#13 ·
I personally would not go 10K on any oil change even synthetic oil, but that is just me.

It's every 5K full synthetic on yota's dime with my flex fuel 2014 tundra until 24 months/25K miles, so for me is basically 5 oil changes. Even if I come in at 22 months and 24K miles to do my 4th oil change, yota will pay to have another oil change done for me BEFORE 25K miles or 24 months, whichever comes first. So, I will go in if that happens and get the oil done for free one last time on yota's dime even if have only 1000 miles on the new synthetic oil, why not???

Whoever tells you though that you cannot do your own oil changes or take it elsewhere for oil changes and not be covered by yota on your 3/36K warranty is an idiot.

#14 ·
5k or six months for me also. IMO the oil filter is needing a change by then. No 10k. Don't need the dealer changing it either - too many stories of their mistakes for me to trust them under the hood.

#15 ·
I have a 2015 CM with about 3k miles on it. I was thinking about changing the oil now. I guess I'm old school. Every new car or truck I've had I changed the first oil change at 3k miles. I thought there is small metallic debris from the engine break in that should be removed. Then after the first 3k, 5k after that. Do you think I have been wasting money?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.