Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Dealer "helping" with zubie

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Wynnded 
#1 ·
Hey guys really just looking for opinions with this post to see what yall think on the matter. The other day I went to get my oil changed and the dealer had this little gadget they offered to install free called a zubie. Basically just plugs into your OBD-II port and it can tell you how your battery is doing, how good your driving habits are and so on. Thought it was cool so told them to go head. I later looked it up and saw it logged every where you went, how long it took, idle time, top speed, GPS, and so on. Im not one for conspiracy theory but sure just seemed like way to much info for a private company to log and possibly sell. Anybody think they'd let the dealer install it in their truck? Like i said kind of cool but not really good with the implications myself. Currently unplugged in the glove box.

On a side note this is probably going in my boys car when he turns 16 especially if he gets to being like me at that age. >:D

#2 ·
Sounds a lot like that progressive snapshot deal. Basically monitors all you're driving and prices your insurance quote appropriately. Personally I wouldn't want it, my life is to boring for someone to need to track my driving and if I want to check on my battery I'll take it to the auto store.

My father has something similar in his company trucks and vans. The first month that he tracked his company vehicles movements his gas bill cut by 40%. He also gets a text message whenever a vehicle goes over the speed limit and some other cool stuff. I know it's saved a ton of momey so the technology definetly has its purposes but not something that I need in my own vehicle.

#4 ·
I tried to get them to install that thing in my old truck, they spent 15 minutes trying to find the OBD-II port (which didn't exist back in 1984) LOL. I was standing back laughing. Told them it was none of their business where my vehicle was driven, used for, etc. Another nonsense nanny to claim to help lower your insurance rates. Insurance companies rip you off all the time, and having a tracking device in your vehicle isn't going to save you any money.

I always wanted to put one in a vehicle that a friend of mine races with and see what the insurance company has to say. They would have no clue where the car was but they'd have some pretty high speed logs in it during drag racing season at the track LOL.

#5 ·
Most cellphones have 2-3 cameras on them and ofcoarse microphones. Not much you could hide if someone really wants to find out.

Some guy watching you take your morning push and flush while he is taking his. I wonder what Ryxxzzter conspiracy theory would be on this if he wasn't banned.

#10 ·
USAA offered me a "Teen Driving Coach" for free for the first year in my new teen drivers car. I took them up on it. It supposedly has no affect on my insurance but is to help them become a better driver. It scores their driving habits and send out text messages to anyone I set up for things like harsh Braking, Rapid Acceleration, Over speed (over any limit I set) Movement after a certain curfew time, movement outside a geo fence I set up. pretty cool. My daughter hates it. I don't even have to say anything, It texts her, her mom and me when she violates anything. (Yes, it will also send a message if it's unplugged)

It also logs her trips and I can log in to the website and see where she went.

It's like 300.00 a year after the first year. I just got it to help her learn good habits when I'm not there and since it was free for a year, why not. I'm not going to pay for it after that. She thinks it's too sensitive but can't explain why it never goes off when I drive her car.

Reactions: ColoradoTJ
#11 ·
She thinks it's too sensitive but can't explain why it never goes off when I drive her car.
She should talk to Bill Belichick. I'm sure he could conjure up a good explanation for her. Something along the lines of how atmospheric conditions only effect one teams footballs.

#13 ·
My insurance agent asked if I would like to install one on my truck - I was beating him up over insurance rates (though I don't have much room to complain as people gawk at me like I'm either really really stupid or really really smart when they find out how little I pay for insurance) and he was telling me ways that I could lower my payment. The offered something like 'up to 10% premium decrease' for having the thing on my truck. Of course, it all depended on how 'good' my driving habits were...

I asked him what sort of things it tracked other than speed; he said most of what others have said: where you are driving, when you are driving, if you are exceeding the speed limit, if traction control or ABS kicks in (which is ALL the time in these trucks if you live in a snow state and leave it in 2WD or like to have some fun in an empty field or parking lot spinning donuts), acceleration, braking, lateral g's, abrupt maneuvers, how many miles you drive, idle time, blah blah blah.

I told him he was just trying to get more money out of me since I often drive on the freeway late at night, I usually flow with traffic - which is usual a few MPH over the speed limit, and I put more miles on my vehicle than the average driver. And I didn't want him to know where my secret bomb shelter and gold mine is... He laughed. Luckily, he wasn't trying to push it - just giving me the option. I think he told me that he only has folks with teenagers and old people who don't drive a lot opt for it. He even told me that his buddy will take it out of the vehicle when he goes on road trips so they don't track his mileage or freeway speed :)

#14 ·
I wouldn't put that crap on my truck if it was for insurance rates. Progressive tried that with me on the Corvette...I just laughed and politely declined. 300.00 every 6 months on a vette didn't bother me even a little.

I like the idea that Big Shasta is using at USAA. I will have to check that out when my kids get to driving age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.