Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Mpg update

9K views 67 replies 32 participants last post by  Millwright 
#1 ·
Well my 15 crew TSS that I now have had two months that I was upset with mpg only being about 14.5 and I am 90% hyw. Now have 4k on truck and after about 2k it jumped to 15. I was babying it to try to get better mpg then said I'm not doing this and started driving it normal. Go figure it keeps getting better. Tank before last I got 15.5 and this tank I just got 16.7. Hand calculated. Don't know what happened or why but I am just driving it and I mean 75 on hyw and no slow starts and easy going just normal go. Even get on it sometimes. Don't care but my Ridgeline only averaged 19. And my Chevy with 5.3 I had back before Ridgeline averaged 17.8. So I am extremely happy. Plus lot more power. Well thought I'd post after gripping about mpg and now it isn't much less than others.

#4 ·
Mine is never above 16 on my commute and usually is 14+ a few tenths. Warmer weather seems to be better mileage verses cooler weather. I don't do warm ups I crank and go. I think its the 20" wheels that come on the TSS trucks that hurts mileage. My old 2010 TRD off road 2wd truck with 18" wheels got 18-19 mpg regularly and rarely 17 if run hard. New truck just doesn't come close to that and only difference is new trucks a 4wd with Flex and those 20" wheels. My 14 has 16k miles on it and the mpg numbers have never got better as miles accumulated. YMMV

#5 ·
I have a 2015 TSS and I am experiencing the same identical numbers that you did when you first got your truck so I hope mine gets better like yours did. I have only had it for a week and the first two tanks have been about as good as my FFV witch was having the problems that many ffvs have been having. Also, Do you have the BFG All terrains on your TSS?

#7 ·
yes sir. Crappie is fun and good eating. We have a lake pretty close that has walleye in it and I caught some late fall bass fishing. Only one over length to keep. Had to be over 18 in to keep. They are probably better tasting than Crappie but id take either.

#9 · (Edited)
im in Oklahoma and same here on 10 in on Crappie too. Yeah I sold my boat last year and had a aluminum bass boat and haven't replaced it yet. usually just me and one other when I go. I will probably get a new one soon. Thinking new ranger Aluminum bass boat /Xpress x19 or maybe a fiberglass bass boat. To me I can fish so much easier out of a bass boat.

#10 ·
You guys drive Mrs Daisy.

I take it easy and can't get better than 13.5mpg. Through first 400 gallons, I'm averaging 13.1mpg. I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be in a driving style that yields 16+ in this truck. You must get a lot of honks.

Reactions: Mrtruckman
#11 ·
don't know what changed but I run mine now normal and have since babying it first 1000 miles and decided forget it ill take 14 mpg and drive normal. Since that day now at 4k it has slowly increased to the last tank at 16.7. Now the last tank was all 98% to and from work only so all hyw 40 miles each way. House is only 3 blocks from hyw and work is only 1 mile off hyw. But still that is at 75 mph and no babying nothing. So I am happy. if I can average all over 15 to 16 mixed throughout I am happy.

#16 ·
Maybe I should take off my level kit, wheels and tires.......nawww. 0:)

I'm 14.5mpg mostly in town and 20k miles. I drive *sprightly*.

#18 ·
Just like a lady, everything gets better with age...

Well, except the looks... sometimes.

#19 ·
I got 13 mpg on a short highway trip the other day. It's the best I have had I usually get 9-10

#23 ·
well filled up today. 296 miles on this fill up and did not do as good. Did have a little more time letting it warm up a couple morning. Ended up at 15.9. again 98% hyw 40 miles each way a day. Still real happy with that!! I still want a lift and 35s so I know that mileage will probably drop to 13 area I am guessing when I do decide to add one. Just think I will drive stock first 10k miles. Like to get good feel of the truck stock before adding any lift. I do want to add tint to from windows right away,

#24 ·
Mine is a weird good news/bad news thing. I seem to get better mileage around town than most folks, but don't see the expected increase on the highway. My driving is about 40% interstate, 30% suburban, 30% stop-and-go city. I average 17.3, according to the truck. I haven't calculated it to double check for myself.

I've noticed about a .4 mpg drop over the summer, which I attribute to constant AC use (and possibly also a change in the gasoline formulation.)

The funny thing is that I can get out on the highway, and even with a long trip at reasonable speeds, the mpg doesn't move up very much at all.:scratchhead:

#25 ·
Stock 14 CM, upstate NY (lotsa hills) and mostly around town driving and I'm doing high 12-low 13's.

Did some highway over the weekend, steady 85ish.......low 13's.

How you guys get 16 and up astounds me. I'm not hammering out of the hole or floor stomping out of every turn, but damn, are you guys coasting in neutral down hills and tip toeing thru traffic?

#27 ·
What is TSS?

Anyway, I have 60 miles on my 2015 ext cab limited (6.5ft bed) and the average now is 8.9 or something ridiculous! lol...I just started a thread asking how on earth can I improve it! I know cold air would probably help and maybe a hypertech programmer. Anyone have any input on those things to possibly improve mpg? Thanks

#28 ·
tss is just an appearance pkg and it comes with nav and spray in liner and some other stuff. Basically a well equipped good looking stock truck. It is a crew max and 4x4. I started out getting 13mpg then after 1000 miles I was at 14.5 and now I am at 4k on miles and I am high 15s to high 16 mpg. that is 95% hyw at 70 to 75 mph. Sometime 80. he he. I don't granny around either I drive it normal. Guess the engine just broke in some is all I know. Worst I got was 1st tank and it was 13.2 and it was 50% city 50% hyw. If u are only at 8.9 you have issues unless you are running a 12 inch lift and 37 tires or something. I got 13.2 towing my friends bass boat this weekend.

#29 ·
It's only got 60 miles on it and it sat outside the dealer idling for 30 minutes along with 50mph gust winds and sub zero temps. I will reset the mpg's and need to drive around a little today so I will report back later today. Thanks for the info.

#31 ·
i started that way but said it aint worth it since 1000 miles i drive it normal and run it. Again 95% of mine is hyw but i am at 65 to 75 al the way 40 miles each way a day. 2 miles of that is city. I am at 15.3 on this tank so far but i have let it warm up for 5 min in the morning being so cold and get the defrost all cleared before going out and leaving for work. So pretty happy with 15.3. I really thought id be at most 14 the way it started off. I think come spring when it warms up and summer that maybe ill average 16 to 17 range average. Since new total average is 15.1. I am sure if i wasn't 95% hyw id be at 14 to 14.5 average. I have noticed even on long stretch of hyw that best it gets is about 17 at 75 mph. Now at 65 on long stretch it will get little over 18. But there is only a small stretch of 65 i do which is once i am in the city on hyw and traffic gets busy. Otherwise mostly 70 and 75 all the way. If it could average 20 on hyw at 75 instead of high 16 to 17 mpgs would help me a lot but i guess that goes for if it would average 15 to 16 in city it would help too. Guess it doesn't matter. Seems it is getting exactly what the sticker said in my case. about 17 on hyw and 13 in city and average about 15.

#32 ·
Well, drove 30-40 miles today and was getting 12.7 mpg but all city driving and driving somewhat normal until I had to rush somewhere and it went down to 11.7...not the end of the world. It is also on the dealers gas still so who knows if it is super or regular.

#34 ·
It would be great to get 18.5 on hwy, we'll see in my first trip which is coming soon but I will be towing a single car aluminum trailer. It is light at 1320lbs. so should affect mpg too much.

P.S. What is evic?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.