Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Front Crossmember Replacement

13K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Millwright 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm currently working to get my truck put back to stock. Unfortunately when I had my lift installed, I did not save the crossmember that was cut out. I spoke with the dealership and they told me this is not something they can order or install. They informed me that I would have to contact a welding shop to have it installed once I've located the part.

Will someone please educate me on what my options are.

#2 ·
Why are you wanting to go back to stock so quickly?

#3 ·
I drive a ton with this truck (500-600 miles a week) and the gas mileage is costing me a fortune. My job didn't call for this much driving when I decided to do the modifications, but now that it does I want it stock again. I have all of my aftermarket parts sold, I just need to find a crossmember before I can get the work done.

#4 ·
How is this part not something they can order? What if it is damaged in accident and it needs replacement? I guess that would have been the question I would have asked them.. Try a well known body shop, and ask them what they would do..

It just seems weird that they cannot get the part..

#6 ·
I agree, but they brought out their head tech and that's what they came up with. He told me that the crossmember is welded to the frame, so if it was damaged they would replace the whole frame. Unfortunately I'm not car savvy enough to question this. :dunno:

#5 ·
I would be looking on craigslist for one. You arent gonna find the crossmember but just the chunk that was cut out. Maybe post an add here in the wtb section of the classifieds. Im sure somebody has one sitting in their garage.

#7 ·
I'll definitely do that.

#8 ·
It's the same frame 07-15. I'm sure there are a few that took a good rear end hit, got totaled, and ended up it a junkyard. I'm also sure most junkyards have a torch or a sawzall. If the frame got tweaked, they can't sell it anyways and are just going to sell it to scrap for the steel. Bet they would sell you the cross member.

#9 ·
I'll start looking around and see if I can find one. I appreciate the advice everyone.

#14 ·
You are better off just getting a shitbox car like a Toyota Yaris and put 500K miles on it.

We are looking at doing something like this as well. In the spring we most likely will be selling our house in the city and moving into the mountains of further up north. I will have to get a commuter car and run it every day I can.

#15 ·
Find a guy with a similar 1794 who wants to lift theirs. Offer to trade. You'll save the cash from having to un-install the lift and you won't have to waste time parting out the lift.

Reactions: Patriot1
#16 ·
Part of the cross member is cut out from the frame to make room for the front drive shaft and then another piece is bolted in place to support the frame. Find someone installing the same lift and pay them for that piece that is cut out.

#17 ·
Reactions: OkSlim
#18 ·
Why not go to a shop that installs lifts and get one they cut out. They just put them in the scrap pile unless owner wants them.

#19 ·
any decent fab shop can make the piece for you wont cost much. And as far as getting the cut out piece from another truck, just remember no two pieces will be cut the same, so it wont be an exact fit to your trucks cut section. Best bet is to have a shop overlap the metal and weld from there then paint it black.

#20 ·
If it was cut and braced to the point that it would strong enough for
a 7" lift why would it need "fixed" when you take the lift off?
( excuse the ignorance.)

#21 ·
Because the brace goes with the lift when he sells the lift.

#22 ·
How about this, if you dont sell your lift, have a fab shop use the crossmember the lift came with. If you do sell the lift, buy a used lift with crossmember or call these lift companies and see if you can get one separate. The fab shop should be able to make it work and those aftermarket crossmembers are usually quality steel.

#23 ·
If you are driving 5-600 miles a week, it would make most sense to get a small used car. Even in stock form, Tundras don't usually get much higher than 17 mpg (even if you drive like a granny). Given the amount of driving you do, the difference between 35 mpg (let's just say) and 17 mpg would pay for a large portion of the price of a small car, I would think.

#25 ·
Just based on the crossmember cost, you are half way to a 2000 Taurus that gets 27 mpg.

Reactions: Millwright
#26 ·
And that's not even including the money he is losing from selling his lift, I can't imagine selling the lift even close to what he payed for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.