Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Dual fuel tanks

9K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  safety77 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried this?
I wonder about using the components off another truck, using a 100 gallon slip tank made custom and a stock tundra fuel pump assembly.
It would be great to have the fuel guage still work.
Anyone with experience would be a god.
Could you imagine 120 usable gallons and if a fuel pump ever gave up you could just use the one tank till you got it fixed

#3 · (Edited)
I would be happy with a 30 gallon tank with a fuel gauge that reads correctly. If people can't fill up their trucks when the gauge hits 1/4 and runs out, you are an idiot and should walk.

For me, when the gauge almost hits 1/4, I have used 13 gallons.

Most 3/4 ton trucks have 26 gallon tanks except for Ram. All my buddies that have 2011 and newer F-250/350 or Duramax trucks have the same size tank. With them needing a diesel (huge campers or pulling big flatbeds) have to stop just as much as we do for fuel. 200 miles and it is time to pull in.

#4 ·
The dual tanks in my F-250 gave me 32 gallons of fuel. My F-250's 460 V8 drank fuel at 6-8mpg while towing, so the dual tanks made towing doable, without that the truck was useless for towing LOL.

As for filling up I fill up between 3/8-1/2 a tank. I don't like running that low on fuel. Don't understand why so many people think its cool to drive on empty with the low fuel light on..then whine and cry when their fuel pump burns up. Its just as easy to keep the tank full. Doesn't cost anymore to fill up the tank...actually less if you don't run it dry. Tank of gas is what like $60-70 depending on where you live, then the one time you run to empty and burn up the $700 fuel pump LOL. That's only going to happen right after you fill the truck up though :).

#11 ·
What about adding second tank in place of the spare tire, like on custom or racing trucks?

Making it work with either a switch or a sensor when your first tank goes to 1/4 tank, automatically switches to second tank?

Reactions: safety77
#15 ·
I find that I get lazy with my fill ups and keep putting them off because I know I have so much in reserve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.