Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

4X4 Envy

9K views 71 replies 30 participants last post by  OkSlim 
#1 ·
I have had my 2014 Tundra for close to a year now and am very happy with it. Except for the fact that I purchased the 4X2 instead of the 4X4! I have no true need for the 4X4 but for some reason I am really regretting not having purchased the 4X4. I would like to up grade wheels and tires and put some additional items on the truck but it seems like a waste of money to do these mods on a 4X2 model.

Anyone else have 4X4 envy?:scratchhead:

#3 ·
yep, had my 04 4x2 for almost 3 years, traded up to an 06 4x4 (with a lot less miles and a few other minor niceties ) nice to know in the next few months I will have a little more confidence in driving in the IL winters.

#6 ·
Do you need 4wd for any reason? If not, then mod it however you want to 2WD or not. Don't care what anyone else thinks.

As a matter of fact, it's easier to lift a 2wd, the CST Spindle lift is the bomb! Coachbuilder shackles in the rear and you're good to go.

Don't waste the money on 4wd if you're not going to need it.

Reactions: TOY33
#7 · (Edited)
Nope. I owned a 2wd compact pickup truck for 5 years through college and a little after. I had the best tires I could afford on it and always had weight in the bed in bad traction situations. Still sucked. I have only owned 4x4s ever since, 4x2 was never entertained as an option on any purchase after that. For all the fear mongering about extra maintenance costs and more to go wrong, I pay a few extra bucks every few years to change the transfer case and front diff fluids. And I have never had a 4x4 system fail.

I have been stuck once in 10-plus years owning 4x4s. It was because I was a bonehead. Went to visit some scumbag relatives who can't be bothered to shovel or salt their 100 yard driveway. So it was 3 or 4 blizzards worth of hardened snow insulated by a top layer of more recent soft stuff, probably close to 3 feet. Guess who decided to be a badass and go force his way in there in his truck when he should have parked on the street and walked. Only time I ever had to break the shovel out.

Other than that never a problem.

#11 ·
I agree that is the way to go with the 2WD models. I had a 2006 tundra limited TRD Sport with the step side bed. Now that was the truck to lower, and put a blower on! The newer Tundra's don't seem to have that "Sport Truck" look. I almost kept the 06 for a project truck when I purchased my 14. I was going to debadge, paint it satin black and lower it but decided I didn't have time for a project.

If anyone has pics of a late model tundra lowered I would be interested in seeing them.

I have had both 2WD and 4WD trucks in the past and thought I would be happy with the 2WD this time around. But mod fever has set in and I need to find something to change on the 2WD model. I always liked corsa exhaust on my other project cars so maybe I should get new exhaust for this Tundra.

#9 ·
You would be surprised what they can do bone stock with street tires in 2WD. I have 4WD, but rarely use it. I could have bought a 4x2 but the dealer didn't have any, and for what they allowed me on trade in for my pile of junk Chevy Cobalt I wasn't going to complain about having the luxury of 4WD if I wanted to use it. Only reason I upgraded tires was they wore out after 47k running around the trails, and they were also nail magnets.

#10 ·
This is my first 4x4 and I have to say it's worth the extra $$ that I paid for. When I slid into a ditch during a bad storm this past winter, I was able to simply switch into 4lo and drive out. There was no way a 4x2 could've gotten out by itself. But then again, I live in PA where winter gets to be pretty nasty. Local Toyota dealerships don't even bother having any 4x2 trucks in stock.

Reactions: dhsfbcoach
#12 ·
We had a snow last winter here in upstate SC. I was stuck in my neighborhood for about 1/2 a day until the ice melted in the afternoon. I has some salt for my driveway but not enough for the hill leaving the subdivision. Having 4WD would have been enough extra traction to allow me to get out.

#16 ·
Worst we could do is kill a busload of school kids because something went wrong

#17 ·
I don't need 4wd and my truck is pretty big... I do wish I had it I suppose but it would've just been extra money for nothing. I've owned two tundras since 2007. In 7 years I needed 4wd exactly zero times so not worth it for me.

Reactions: wildbill23c
#22 ·
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I really only use 4wd when pulling my boat up the slippery boat ramp and when I'm up in the mountains on snowy/icy roads. We haven't had any rain in California, so mud isn't an issue. It's nice to have the peace of mind when camping or going to the dunes though.

#24 ·
As long as you don't get overconfident in the 4WD system you are fine. Many people misunderstand the 4WD and get in over their heads...I see it every year every time it snows all the luxury SUV owners in ditches because they couldn't grasp the concept that the 4WD system wasn't going to help them stop after they managed to get going 60mph on the slick road.

#26 ·
Friend's dad always used to say, "4x4 just gets you stuck farther from the road."
I've had to use my 4x4 a few times. Didn't absolutely NEED it, but it sure made it a lot easier to get out a few times.

#27 ·
Can you get by with 4x2? Absolutely. As I said, I never owned a 4x4 and was able to drive fine in the north. But when I switched that dial to 4hi, I realized how much I was missing out all those years.

#29 ·
In Pittsburgh, we call 2 wheel drive trucks, wait for it......................cars. LOL

I have never even considered buying a 2 wheel drive truck and therefore, never had any envy. Truthfully, it is pretty rare to even see one on the road anywhere near where I live, anyways.

My father-in-law did buy a brand new Ford that was 2 wheel drive when he retired. You know the saying that is coming....."If the roads are bad, I am retired, I don't have anywhere to be!" That was his motto and he saved the money on the truck.

Reactions: Millwright
#33 ·
When I was looking at lockers I thought the ARB was ~$2500 per differential, installed.

I occasionally get 2WD buyers remorse. I have only been stuck once in my truck and I would have gotten stuck with 4WD too.

When buying, I used the following reasons to convince myself that I didnt need 4WD.

- Only FFV available engines in my region for 4WD
- Lower reliability reported by various online consumer report type sites for the 4WD versions and FFV
- Higher insurance
- More parts to maintain
-Slightly lower gas mileage/payload
- Previous truck had it and only used it a handful of times over 7 years
- Extra 2-3K on price of truck

Sounds like you don't need it though. I would mod away. You can get close to 4WD performance with just a rear locker but based on your post, I would not even do that.

Even with stock car tires and no lift, I have been impressed with where I have been able to go and get back from.

I dont play in the dirt but run into the occasional muddy county road/driveway.

Made it through this mess...

#40 ·
Very good cost benefits analysis of 4WD vs 2WD. I'm definitely sure I don't "Need" 4WD but want it... now that's a different story.

Stopped by the Toyota dealer this afternoon and checked what it would cost to trade for the same truck I have but in 4WD. They presented some interesting numbers which I am looking over. May make a change this week.

#34 ·
I've only been stuck once as well but in a 2WD Ford Ranger. 4WD wouldn't have done any good either because the truck was floating in the hole. Gotta have wheels on the ground for any drive system to work.

A standard off the lot 4WD really isn't 4WD, its modified 2WD. In many cases you get 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel receiving power. Usually those wheels are diagonal to each other as well. So unless the vehicle has a limited slip differential you are not really gaining much at that point. Until you have lockers in one form or another you never have true 4WD. There are all sorts of lockers out there, not sure what's available for the Tundra I know they have an ARB air locker for the rear not sure about the fronts for the 4WD models, and not sure you would want one in the front with the CV axle setup. I just wish Toyota would incorporate some sort of full time 4WD selection in the tundra for those of us who live in snow country, where shifting in and out of 4WD continuously is pretty annoying. I think pretty much all other 1/2 ton trucks have that now GM does, as well as Dodge. Not sure about Ford haven't looked at or been around any for a long time.

#35 ·
Is your truck a flex fuel?

Dont worry, most tundra 4x4 owners have flex fuel, at least in the southern region, and they all have supercharger envy!!!

But if it came down to it I'd rather have the 4x4. Im never stuck indoors on ice and snow days. In 2002 I had a shortbed silverado, 4x2... I swore I'd never own another truck or suv without 4x4.

#36 ·
I live in Bakersfield. Do I need to say more about me not needing 4x4?

Reactions: Deeters
#37 ·
They dont even sell 2wd trucks where I live. I only recall seeing one and it was a base model f150. I usually just throw it in 4wd when ever it is snowing, it's just added insurance.

#38 ·
I've had my 08 4x2 for a little over 2 years now and the first time I got stuck in Glamis I wish I had a 4x4. Been looking ever since but I can't find one that I want for what I want to pay. Now when I go to Glamis I just air down and have been fine but I'm still looking.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.