Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2007 Tundra owners, how's your truck holding up?

24K views 102 replies 65 participants last post by  frankrose80 
#1 ·
As we begin the second year of the new body style for the Tundra, I'd like to get the input from our '07 Tundra owners as to how well their trucks are holding up with over 7 years of operation.

Please let us know your current mileage and if any repairs were done at a certain time/mileage since '07.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Reactions: riccnick
#2 ·
Tires and door sash@ 34,000, water pump and serp belt @ 59,000, front brakes @ 70,000. Currently @ 75k.

Thats it. Brakes, belt and tires I consider maintenance since they wore out. Coolant was changed with water pump

#3 ·
89,900 miles currently!

Driveshaft replaced due to TSB 'bump' issue at 45K, been perfect since.

I changed the front brake rotors and pads at 60K but they had alot of life left on the originals. Rears are still original with lots of life left.

Water pump changed per TSB at 75K, found the weeping leak while changing the serp belt as preventative maintenance.

Otherwise oil changes and fluid changes when necessary.

BEST TRUCK I'VE EVER OWNED. Looking fwd to 100K, 200k, maybe even 300K miles!

Reactions: ColoradoTJ
#4 ·
107k on mine. Just the usual stuff fixed, AIP, water pump, and brakes.
I do think calling the '14 & '15 a new body style is a bit of a stretch though. It is just a warmed over version of the same old thing. I was originally planning to trade for a '14 but after looking at them I decided to keep my '07.

#6 · (Edited)
Just hit 138,000

Serp belt Replaced 70k

Rear axle oil baffle failure at 98k

Brake pads and rotors lasted until 100k

AIP failure at 110k

Fuel Pump failure at 125k

As of right now, everything works like the day I bought it. All regular scheduled maintenance done every 5000 miles.

#7 · (Edited)
118.5K on the odometer right now...The dealer put new stock tires (duelers)on it when they sold it to me w/ 24K (manager's truck). I put Duratracs on at 89K and the are awesome ( traction and wear). I service every 5K and no engine problems besides water pump at 86K (covered by 100K warranty). Brakes (powerstop rotors and pads) at 96K. Had to replace rear driver side sonar at 115K (wire pulled from male connector).

I planned on getting a 2014 but the refresh was not enough for me. Overall a very good truck and I will not trade the '07. To me, the '07s seem like the year to have...the dealer techs tell me the truck won't make it on the lot if it's traded in as they have dibs because 07s have the timing chain vs. belt (?). I guess slate metallcs w/ red rock interior is hard to find too. '14s are the same basic truck so it'll be around a long time. BTW, I still get 14 city/17 hwy...and I like to year the magnaflow purr.

#18 ·
The 07- present Tundras with the 5.7L V8's all have timing chains.
The 4.7L V8's had timing belts. The new 4.6L V8's have timing chains as well.

My 08 has been pretty trouble free at 76k, not impressed with the BS nonexistent accelerator pedal fixes they did at all though.

#8 ·
I'm at 150,000 miles and no major problems. Water pump replaced at 60k miles per TSB. Just bought new rotors and pads to switch out this weekend. I change the oil every 5000 miles religiously, just had new tires put on a few months ago. I had the dreaded AIP failure at 80k but Toyota fixed it for free. Serpentine belt was replaced last year and I think I'm due for new shocks. My truck pulls a 7x17 double axle enclosed trailer every day and it runs perfectly. No rattles or vibrations.....it's been a terrific truck

#10 · (Edited)
great thread!

-2 brake jobs, not due to warping (I have a heavy foot)
-water pump @ 77,000
-tensioner and belt done under tsb / warranty at 35,000
-also had the front drivers power seat replaced once under warranty at 35,000 due too excessive play in the track mechanism
-the suspension was a little tired so I recently upgraded that

#13 · (Edited)
Just traded in my 07 yesterday. TRD offroad Crewmax, 5.7 moonroof. Had 62k miles on it. Keep in mind, I don't like things not in excellent condition so the maintenance I did could have been prolonged more than likely.

Replaced tires once.

Did brakes twice and bought extra set of rotors to make swapping them out easier on a floor jack.

Spark plugs at 50K

Serp belt around 50k.

Tranny, TC, front and rear diff. fluids replaced.

double sided tape on the black thing in top corner of window failed and that flapped around til I fixed it.

left windshield wiper constantly "failed" to where I had to keep a wrench in the door in the winter time to keep tightening that hex head down.

The bed floor rusted horribly in the bottom front on both sides and I had it repaired by dealer, 4 times. The back floor of the bed, by the tailgate, both sides, looked horrid when I traded it in. They were balking at fixing it due to being 7 years old. It was obviously rusting from underneath and you could clearly see the spot welds rusting out.....

The tailgate bottom started to bubble and I got it fixed by dealer. He tried the "something kicked up and hit it" and I asked him how in the hell could something hit it there with 5" of bumper sticking out???

The e-brake cables, both sides completely rotted off and the controller arm for these needed replaced. Big dollars to pass inspection. When the tech showed me this on the rack, the whole bottom of my truck looked terribly rusted. I live in PA. I traded it in due to this, the bed, and I would need new tires next year making the first year's new payments free essentially with these repairs. I got 17k for my truck, as is, in trade.

The ride was getting rough (just a little loose) as well and I was going to have to invest in some suspension parts to get it back to near-original.

The clock on that thing was always wrong, especially in summer time for whatever reason???

Tow hitch all rusted, and I never used it once. All of the black metal on there was rusted.

In 7 years, I was never able to find the cold weather kit that allegedly has the washer fluid heater or whatever. I called it a Bigfoot feature, I heard a lot about it, but never saw it once.......

Also I think the radio antenna wire came loose somewhere as radio stations would fade in and out to static and not due to location. It happened on way to Pittsburgh airport and I literally drove right past WDVE and it was static.

All in all, great truck though. Most of what I listed is probably somewhat expected but I can't stomach less than pristine. Just bothers me. I wasn't overly excited about trading it off to say the least. My 15 is the first new truck I have ever had that I wasn't jacked about getting. I had plans on being payment-free for another five years, or so.........

Reactions: Tysdad and CDR
#14 · (Edited)
108,000 on mine. Had the sagging dash issue repaired under warranty. Battery at around 20,000; someone over tightened the hold down strap cracking the case causing acid leak(warranty). Serpentine belt changed at about the same time(warranty). The rest of the "recall" stuff; throttle pedal, window control, etc. Water pump/coolant change at 65,000. Brakes done and transmission flush at 90,000; changed other fluids myself, differentials/transfer case at 30 and 90,000, oil/filter changes at 7,500/8,000 on Mobil 1, 0W-30 and Toyota filters. I live in a high salt use area of the country(Maine) and have surprisingly little rust showing; a little on the frame rails and suspension,(especially around welds) but none showing on the body panels(out side or underneath). I drive a lot of interstate in the winter months towing a snowmobile trailer(snowmobiling) so this is surprising to me. Arguably the best truck I've owned, and I'm 73 yrs old; had a lot of trucks. Hope, and expect, to get another 100,000 out of it

#15 ·
Interesting...seems like I've heard fewer problems with the 1st Gens than the 2nd Gens.

Biggest problem for us was the frame rot in the salt belt. Can anyone comment on how the 2nd Gen 2007 frames are holding up for those that live in salted areas?

#17 ·
Already did; can't imagine a more heavily salted area than the Northeast corridor. I've traveled it all from the very southern most part of Maine(home) to the very most Northern part (Fort Kent) several times a winter season. I think the answer is, when you get back from a salt ladened trip to the north, run your truck through a car wash with a "bottom blast" function. Works for me

Reactions: Jack McCarthy
#20 · (Edited)
No. Blacktop driveway. I have a 24 x 30 garage, but it is full of drums and tools and I don't have room to park in there, yet......

#23 ·
#24 ·
Well I have a 2008 and I haven't been happy with this thing recently. In fact I have two buddys that bought new domestics in the same year and we have similar miles, they have had much better luck than I have...

I have undercoated the truck every year(Canadian winters) and there is rust starting at the bottom of the doors, nothing you can see unless your under the truck, But I wash and wax and generally look after the truck, Paint is faded on the hood and has been for a couple years, I have complained to the dealer with no luck.

Now for the serious issues, Of course I have had the AIP, serpertine belt, Under 120 thousand kilometers, that's when the fun started, 4wd computer, 4wd actuator, Abs sensors, and I now have a clunk in the tranny, the truck has 150 kilometers now and I have spend thousands fixing this thing. I am honestly not impressed and I seriously wonder if its worth buying another one. I am going to have a hard look other brands in the future, Even if it was a domestic with a 160 kilometer powertrain warranty that would have saved me thousands, The money I have spent fixing this truck is probably similar to how much it would have been worth more than a ford or chev in terms of resale value. And this truck has always been serviced at the dealer the maintenance schedule has been followed exactly by the book. I think its a joke that people think these trucks are bullet proof. They aren't at all in my experience

#25 ·
Boy I feel lucky. I have 190,0000 on my 2008 limited with no problems. I read on this forum about the AIP issues. I've never had an issue. I let my truck warm up for a couple of minutes. When you first start the truck, you can hear the AIP working. You also hear when it kicks off, that's when I put the truck in gear and drive off. I've always had routine maintenance done as well. You won't find a better engine/transmission combo.....period.

#30 ·
I have the 08 base model, and I've done the same thing, start it up and wait for the AIP's to shut down, then I drive away, doesn't matter what time of the year, I do it every time. Haven't had a single problem...there are many people who just get in and drive away wonder if that has anything to do with the failures? I wouldn't think so but you never know. Course Toyota isn't going to tell you, and the thing would probably run better with the AIP's missing anyhow. From what I recall they just inject warm air into the exhaust to help warm things up faster.

#26 ·
What timeframe is gen1 vs. gen2?

#27 ·
Gen 1- 2000-2006
gen 2- 2007-2013
Gen 2.5 2014-current

My 08 has been relatively excellent. Have 137k on my truck only owner. Done the brakes a few times 3 maybe?!? Not necessarily bc they were necessary but bc I was changing something with the suspension. was in the vicinity so what the hell right? Yea water pump was leaking. Still worked but thats no excuse to ignore it. Changed out my diff fluid to full synthetic.

Ive changed the set up on my truck at least 5 times ocd/a.d.d not sure but oh well.

Next on my list of things to do... spark plugs, trans shift kit and flush, bullydog tuner and umm who knows really.

Oh wait i did have 1 serious issue. wait for it... my master window switch caught on fire. $125 to repair and within 6 months toyota issued a recall.

That said nobody makes a perfect vehicle and mines been relatively issue free. By this time in my silverado the transmission had been rebuilt twice and slipping again. 4wd was all jacked up and the fold down center console cut me on the regular (if you've driven in a 1999-2006 chevy/gmc with the fold down console you know why) ill never buy gmc or chevy again!

#28 ·
My 07 had 65,000 on it when I traded it last year for a 14. I bought the 07 new early in 07. I had the 4.7 engine in my 07. Never had an issue out of it. Did have the TSB on the driveshaft and pedal. Hated the new pedal and they replaced it for free. Replaced the brakes at 60,000. Paint was great and only had one rock chip the entire time I had it.

#29 ·
2007 TRD DC, 120000, running like a BEAST, just the regular maintenance on it, just change the spark plug not to long ago and also the serpentine belt. I wash and clean the truck every other weekend, paint look awsome and no rust anywhere, carpet look clean and no MM in between the seat. Awesome truck. Trade in my wife 1st before this truck. But love them both (sometime). TUNDRA FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#31 ·
I have 72k miles, CM Limited.

> Changed Water Pump at 70k under extended warranty.
> Front brakes were changed at 60k, rears at 70k
> Battery was replaced at 70k.
> I recently replaced the spark plugs just because, but the old ones looked fantastic.
> Recently lifted, but old suspension was fine.
> The interior/exterior looks great. The fender liners are falling apart in the front wheel wells, but other than that, the truck is awesome.

Only issue I'm having now is a slight rattle in the steering wheel that feels like a knuckle or a joint is getting loose. The dealership says its nothing, but I notice it a lot and it really bums me out. I'm just waiting to get an alignment before I bring it back. It feels like something night be loose in the power steering column adjustment. Thanks!

#33 ·
I got an alignment right after installing the leveling kit. Hope that solves your rattle problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.