Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Toyota Confirms No 38 Gal Tank or TBC on 2015 Tundra

12K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  5.3L LOL 
#1 ·
After reading a lot of conflicting information about the larger 38 gal fuel tank and trailer brake controller on the 2015 Tundra, I decided to email Toyota directly. I pointed out the discrepancies between the brochures not mentioning these features but the manuals including them. It took almost a week for them to get back to me once I pointed this out.

Below is their response which has clearly been passed through their legal department to cover their butts. Very disappointing and baffling how so many auto websites got this information wrong. I wanted to share this for those who were holding out for a 2015 to get these options (myself included).

Toyota's response:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your interest in the Toyota Tundra.
Here is the site for the online brochure: (click to open) http://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2014/tundra_ebrochure.pdf

The Tow Package is standard on Double Cab Limited, CrewMax Limited, Platinum, and 1794 Edition, and optional on all other models. It includes: towing hitch receiver, trailer brake controller prewire, TOW/HAUL Mode switch, supplemental engine oil cooler, supplemental transmission cooler, heavy-duty battery, 170-amp. alternator and 4/7-pin connector (standard on 5.7L V8 models).

I apologize for any confusion, and thanks for asking! I apologize; a 38 gallon tank is not available on the 2015 Tundra.

I also apologize that due to the possibility of errors or changes, the owner's manual, or our brochures or website are not the final word regarding your vehicle's features and options, and we appreciate the opportunity to try to help clear things up.

By way of explanation, the printed window sticker (Monroney Label) required by law and provided with your Toyota determines the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of your vehicle, and your vehicle's standard and optional features.

For this reason, Toyota publishes a disclaimer in its brochures, and on its website at Legal Terms | Toyota.com

All information presented herein is based on data available at the time of posting, is subject to change without notice and pertains specifically to mainland U.S.A. vehicles only. Prototypes shown. Actual production vehicles may vary.

Toyota values you as a customer, and we appreciate this opportunity to answer your question.

It is through comments such as yours that we are able to review and improve our products and services.

Toyota values you as a customer, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concern. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at Contact Us | Contact Toyota

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters.

Sincerely,

James F.

Toyota Customer Experience
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See less See more
#5 ·
That sucks. Stupid on their part not to go with a bigger tank.

#6 ·
Typical Toyota. I sometimes wonder how the Tundra ever came about. It's actually surprising that they aren't still making the T-100 with the 3.4L and telling us that what the customers asked for- and then scratch their heads as the Big 3 outsell them 10 to 1. It's almost like they try harder to be uncompetitive at times. A larger fuel tank would have been an easy way to attract potential buyers, and would deter no one.

#8 ·
Very disappointing and baffling how so many auto websites got this information wrong.

I don't think they got the information wrong, I think Toyota just decided to save more money and cancelled any changes for 2015. Thats less $$ they need to spend stocking more SKU's.

The tank should not be an option and I have a feeling that the 16' will have this standard .

The TBC is fine as an option but I suspect they didn't want to make ANY changes which required electrical or cosmetic changes (which would have had to be implemented in all 2015's) .

Overall its $$... I told my dealer last year that I was going to get a 2015 . They contacted me last week telling me the 15's were in and to come in for a drive. I told them I already drove the 14' so what was the point. Told them to call me next year when the 2016's arrive (if I am not driving a competitors truck by then)

#10 ·
Having the big tank wouldn't keep me from buying the tundra,,, as a matter of fact,, I just traded in my 2011 and picked up a 2015. Having the extra fuel capacity would have been nice , I agree but it's not a deal breaker,,,, you still get the same mileage so what the f,.,..,,.,ck. I'm tired of hearing everyone bitch over the big three and the Nissan being better! You will never have a situation that is perfect for everyone so pick what suits you best and stop bitching! This is america and we have choices! ,,,,,,,,,,, moving on.

#12 ·
I agree - not a deal breaker for me either but does make me hesitate and wait for the 2016.

I have a 2013 F150 w/ Ecoboost motor now. I hate the engine. The sticker said 17-21mpg and I get 14-16mpg - plus the turbo lag between down shifts is terrible. I know the Tundra won't be much better on gas but if I'm going to get crappy mileage, I'd rather have it with a V8.

However, the 36 gal tank I have is sure nice - I can go 500-600 miles between fill ups. So I can top off in NJ (where it's cheaper) drive well out of state and back on 1 tank of gas never paying the 30-50 cents more per gallon in PA and NY.

Toyota should have at least offered this as an upgradable option IMO.

#13 ·
Interesting.
When I dropped my truck off at the dealer for another issue, I went over to the parts counter and asked the gentlemen for pricing on a 38gallon tank. Quoted something like $1000 or whatever. He said it may not work with the '14 due to wiring - location of fuel tank components may not be in the same location.

#15 ·
If I were Toyota I would not officially confirm the upgrades until the new trucks so-equipped were sitting on lots and pre-upgrade inventory was low. I wouldn't count on it being dead yet. They do mid-year spec and pricing updates to their other models all the time.

#17 ·
Yea there seems to be a lot of things which seem like commonsense but things appear to have really changed with how Toyota perceives their truck line.

Remember a few years ago there was a joint venture with ford to produce a Hybrid pickup , it wasn't high on my wish list but it showed that Toyota was treating its Truck line like its car line in that it had a future vision. It was attempting to be innovative in the market.

Since that joint venture fell apart so did any apparent future for the Toyota Truck Line. In 2016 we will be getting a Diesel tundra (maybe) and while this will be a proven engine it will not be built by Toyota . While many see this as a step in the right direction, I see it as Toyota wanting to take advantage of the present not wanting to invest in the future.

Kind of feels like Bizzaro world when Nissan is basically releasing the same powertrain driven diesel vehicle a year earlier.

#19 ·
Remember these commercials? They made me feel all warm and fuzzy like Toyota was ready to bring the fight straight to Ford, Dodge, and GM. Hell what happened to "The Truck thats changing it all"????

Toyota has rested on its laurels the last 3-4 years which is frustrating. They still have the top drivetrain of any half ton truck on the market, but why just run with the rest of the pack when you have technology ALREADY developed and tested that would put you well out in front of Chevy, Dodge, and Ford? Just seems lazy.

Reactions: riccnick
#25 ·
Bazinga

#28 · (Edited)
I love my truck. I wouldn't trade it for another brand (and I've tried others), but this is depressing. I remember back in the day, Toyota was one of the leaders in design and technology. I had Toyota's back in the 80's and 90's that were light years ahead of the competition.

Now it seems they are the new version of the "old GM" - corporate, cost cutting, plodding along with huge sales worldwide and they've lost the "edge".

I see all these neat features in the competitors and Toyota doesn't have them. Granted, we probably have much better quality overall, but things like the tons of little storage bins, sliding armrest, nightlight on the console, tilt/slide backseat, etc. got taken away with this redesign. I really like my '14, but there are things I really miss from my '07 - that I am reminded of every time I drive my wife's '10 Sequoia - it's like a time warp, but in a good way.

The only advantages my '14 Tundra has over the competition now in terms of features (not quality) is a back window that fully retracts and adjustable headlights. I can't think of any other competitive advantages from a feature/functionality standpoint.

Now, they tease folks with 2 key features to be in the '15 - ones that seem fairly simple to deliver - and they can't even do that. How hard is it to wire in a brake controller? How hard is it to blow mold a few hundred thousand gas tanks (which is done by a supplier)? Geez....

Just had to gripe. But I am still keeping my truck...at least I don't see the service advisor as often as I did at the Ford garage (I think I put one of his kids through college...)

Depressing to see a brand I admire lose its edge. Once the new Nissan Titan gets released, I hope the Tundra doesn't take the Titans current place at the back of the pack in terms of tech and features!

#29 ·
As nice as the 14-15 interiors are I wouldn't trade my 07 for any of them. I love all those little things, like the sliding center console, drv side grab bar...

FYI toyota has always offered a plug for quick connection of a trailer brake controller, I purchased one from Toyota for my 07 to wire up my TBC. But the point is, it'd be easy to simply install one factory.

#31 ·
Reactions: doctordundurn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.