Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

4.0 V6 Dropped in Tundra

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  v4lu3s 
#1 ·
I have been on the forums for a while and cannot even recall anyone even talking about having or modding the 4.0 V6. I guess Toyota saw the same thing in their sales numbers. Just read a article that 2015 Tundra will only have the V8's and the 4.0 is dropped. Does anyone here own the Tundra with the 4.0 V6?
It was a good engine in my FJ but I could not imagine it in the Tundra. I guess the only people that buy that configuration was for work trucks and maybe they were not even buying it.

#8 ·
Yes indeed, I had a tacoma with 4.0, and it sucked...

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#4 ·
My first Tundra was a 4.0L DC 4x2 and it was surprisingly pretty quick knowing it only had 230hp. Yeah its nothing like a 5.7L but man if you wanted to get up and go it would. I only towed twice both going and leaving college from Houston, Tx to Lubbock, Tx. All I'll say is going 80+mph I got 21mpg and when towing (~500lbs in the bed and around 3000lbs for Uhaul trailer and furniture) I was getting 18+mpg and seriously couldn't tell I was even pulling anything.

#5 ·
I had a Taco Prerunner 4.0 once and would make frequent all-highway trips from So-Cal to Nor-Cal, and the best I got was about 20mpg.

That said, there is zero fuggin way you got 21mpg at 80mph+ towing 3K with 500lb in the bed... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say you clearly miscalculated, as opposed to telling you you're full of S***

#6 ·
What works well in smaller vehicles may not be adequate for 6000 lb truck though.

#7 · (Edited)
@LS1 My wording might of been a little confusing but I said 80+mph I got 21mpg and 18mpg while towing... I have a friend with 4.0L Tacoma and he would get the same mileage or slightly better then my Tundra that's why I never understood why people got the Tacoma over the Tundra...Yes in the city my mileage was piss poor and almost compared to a 5.7L but highway was totally different. Also probably should mention I baby the shit out of my truck when I accelerate (where you burn most of your gas). Calculating mpg is probably the easiest thing too do and almost fool proof. *Due note that these numbers are the best I've ever gotten but average wasn't far off.

#9 ·
My bro in law has a DC for work with the V6 in it. It gets worse MPG than my 5.7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.